Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Middle Chapters: Don Juan's Friendship with Don Hernan

Don Juan enters the bull fight to save the son of his friend, Don Hernan (p. 140). What does this reveal about his character? Is this growth? Or has this been a part of his character throughout his life? If growth, how has he grown? At this point in the book, do you see Don Juan as a hero or a villain?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through the chapter titled "The Truth" (through p. 179). Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after "The Truth" please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters: Don Juan's Friendship with Don Hernan

Stephanie wrote:

Don Juan enters the bull fight to save the son of his friend, Don Hernan (p. 140). What does this reveal about his character? Is this growth? Or has this been a part of his character throughout his life? If growth, how has he grown? At this point in the book, do you see Don Juan as a hero or a villain?

Don Juan going into the bullring shows that he is interested in others and is willing to risk his life if necessary to protect another. We see this later in regards to his women. I think he has been that way all his life. He was that way back when he left the convent and went to the seminary where Fray Ignacio taught. Instead of betraying Hermana Teresa he kept quiet. He has grown in many ways not just in protecting others, but in discovering that he can love just one and feel pleasure in giving to her alone. And through the book I have never seen Don Juan as anything but a hero. He reminds be of a skit in THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES by Eve Engsler. There is a skit about a man named Bob who loves women. He makes them feel good about themselves even if they don't fit society's stereotypes of women. He isn't anyone special but he is able to make his lovers feel special about themselves and him. Don Juan is the same type of man. The end line was that every woman needs a Bob in their life and I guess you could say we should have a Don Juan in our lives. They make you feel special.

Sheila

Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sheila,

Your post reminded me that not only did Don Juan protect Hermana Teresa, he had long since abandoned telling the Marquis who the women were that he seduced. Noble, in more than title.
Stephanie
Author
DouglasAbrams
0 Kudos

smg5775 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Don Juan going into the bullring shows that he is interested in others and is willing to risk his life if necessary to protect another. We see this later in regards to his women. I think he has been that way all his life. He was that way back when he left the convent and went to the seminary where Fray Ignacio taught. Instead of betraying Hermana Teresa he kept quiet. He has grown in many ways not just in protecting others, but in discovering that he can love just one and feel pleasure in giving to her alone. And through the book I have never seen Don Juan as anything but a hero. He reminds be of a skit in THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES by Eve Engsler. There is a skit about a man named Bob who loves women. He makes them feel good about themselves even if they don't fit society's stereotypes of women. He isn't anyone special but he is able to make his lovers feel special about themselves and him. Don Juan is the same type of man. The end line was that every woman needs a Bob in their life and I guess you could say we should have a Don Juan in our lives. They make you feel special.

Sheila

Sheila,

I loved the Vagina Monologues but did not think of that skit while writing it. Thanks for reminding me of it. How do you think a man can make his wife feel as special as Don Juan (and Bob) did? What do most husbands forget?

In some ways, it seems to me that Don Juan returns to his earlier self at the bull ring. One of my writing teachers once said that people don't change but they can return to who they once were and have forgotten. I don't really agree with this. I think we can change, but I do think that often we discover parts of ourselves that we have lost. What do you think?

Doug
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

DouglasAbrams wrote:

smg5775 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Sheila

Sheila,

I loved the Vagina Monologues but did not think of that skit while writing it. Thanks for reminding me of it. How do you think a man can make his wife feel as special as Don Juan (and Bob) did? What do most husbands forget?

In some ways, it seems to me that Don Juan returns to his earlier self at the bull ring. One of my writing teachers once said that people don't change but they can return to who they once were and have forgotten. I don't really agree with this. I think we can change, but I do think that often we discover parts of ourselves that we have lost. What do you think?

Doug

Sometimes I think husbands forget the little things. A woman doesn't want to appear to be a nag but you'd like him to take out the garbage without being told or change a light bulb he sees burned out or surprise her by doing the dishes or taking her out even if she's already defrosted the meat (refrigerators will keep it fresh for a day).
One of the sexiest scenes in a movie was when Richard Gere comes up the elevator where Susan Sarandon is working wearing a tux and carrying a single rose in SHALL WE DANCE? He was just thinking about her and what she wanted him to do about his new hobby dancing and he goes to her and dances with her. Simple but thoughtful. Dan Savage in his book COMMITMENT states that when the big romantic gesture is made, the relationship seems to end shortly after. I think he's right. I've seen the big, expensive weddings and within 2-3 years the couple is divorcing. I don't think most women want the big expensive, elaborate romantic gestures. They just want the little things that show he's thinking about her--small, thoughtful, simple.

I definitely have changed over the years. While I'm still quiet when getting to know someone, I was horribly shy when I was younger. I have changed alot. I like who I am now but I needed the awkward stages to make me want to grow into who I am. I like to think I was a late bloomer. The changes were there but I had to grow into them and become comfortable with all the possibilities of who and what I could be. I have to wonder why some people don't grow and change as they mature. It seems to me to be a waste of a life.
Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I agree with Sheila about taking out the trash, changing the light bulb... but don't wait around for the wife to ask for those things. That's as annoying to her as it is to him. Men forget to take care of things - themselves, their space, etc. The self-sufficient man (a bachelor) is always appealing. Women look at them and think, there's someone I don't have to a/pick up after, b/fix things for, c/coddle. We're wrong though, because somehow, signing a piece of paper after wearing a suit for a few minutes changes all that! :smileyhappy:

Then, there's simple attention. All that attention that's paid to a woman while dating, that interest, seems to disappear after marriage. Everyone can get boring after a while- the trick I think, for both men and women, is to continue to grow and change and learn so that you remain interesting to your partner, and they to you. When my son was born I talked about nothing but him... my husband let me know right away that I was being a little boring! So what, I said, he's fabulous! It's good to remember that not everyone, including our spouses, is as interested in our passions. It helps to be diverse!
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

I was talking to some friends tonight about this book. And they said exactly what you were saying, Stephanie, that they want small courtesies. If a husband can treat ohthers kindly and respectfully, a wife wants to be treated the same way. I also like what you say about keep learning. Take up a new hobby, read new books, go to movies, concerts, theater. Keep your life interesting for you and you will find that you're interesting to others because you have new ideas and thoughts to bring to a conversation.
Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sheila,

Small courtesies- yes, that's a perfect way to put it. To be valued as more than a "wife" and all the connotations that go along with that word.

I think one of the truest moments for me in this middle section of the book is Don Hernan's dying statement: "Tell my son, when he is a man ... that to be a man ... is to choose." That's not the whole statement, but it is the whole sentiment. We all make choices, and we can choose to spend time loving, or we can choose to get caught up in the trivialities of our day-to-day. The things that take us away from each other, in our minds especially, are often minor and insignificant.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 231 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: