Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Being Faithful

Doña Ana's dueña tells her that Don Juan could never be faithful to any woman. Do you think Don Juan's love would stay true to Dona Ana? Can he really forsake all women for her? Is his view of love realistic?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Being Faithful

Stephanie wrote:

Doña Ana's dueña tells her that Don Juan could never be faithful to any woman. Do you think Don Juan's love would stay true to Dona Ana? Can he really forsake all women for her? Is his view of love realistic?

I think Don Juan will be tempted but once he decides that Dona Ana is his one love he will stay faithful. He has a code of honor that rejects hurting others and he knows she wants and needs him to be faithful to her. He also needs someone to believe that he does know what love and fidelity is and will do what is necessary to be faithful.
His view of love may not be realistic. He has romanticized what women want and how they want to be treated but that's okay. I think too many people today are cynics and don't believe that what their partners want and need are as important as their own needs and wants. There is also too much kiss and tell.

Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sheila,

I agree - people are cynical, and selfish! I don't think Don Juan will be selfish in his love, he hasn't been selfish in his life as a lover of women, and I'd like to think that will hold true.
Stephanie
Author
DouglasAbrams
0 Kudos

smg5775 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

I think Don Juan will be tempted but once he decides that Dona Ana is his one love he will stay faithful. He has a code of honor that rejects hurting others and he knows she wants and needs him to be faithful to her. He also needs someone to believe that he does know what love and fidelity is and will do what is necessary to be faithful.
His view of love may not be realistic. He has romanticized what women want and how they want to be treated but that's okay. I think too many people today are cynics and don't believe that what their partners want and need are as important as their own needs and wants. There is also too much kiss and tell.

Dear Sheila,

I'm glad you have faith in the possibility of Don Juan's faithfulness. I agree that people are too often cynical about love. Yes, his new found love may be a little naive as the intoxication of early romance is, but in many ways compassion is the ability to "suffer with" another and love requires us to endure hardships for our love, and in this way I think Don Juan increasingly proves his devotion. Do you agee?
Users Online
Currently online: 1 member 620 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: