Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Don Juan's Fate

What do you think happens to Don Juan in the final chapter? What do you think about the story that Alma tells Cristóbal on the final page? How did you feel at the end of the book?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Don Juan's Fate

Stephanie wrote:

What do you think happens to Don Juan in the final chapter? What do you think about the story that Alma tells Cristóbal on the final page? How did you feel at the end of the book?

Well, I certainly hated thinking Don Juan died but if he died then he did it to protect the love of his life, Dona Ana. He died living by his code of honor. Alma's story of Dona Ana going to a convent then leaving after 3 months with a "priest" is a romantic ending. It leaves the possibility open that Don Juan didn't die. It gives hope that Don Juan found his happiness and was able to live with her. Thinking that maybe Don Juan lives gave me a happily ever after feeling. I like books that end happily. I don't want to think he died, that his love of life, his vitality, his virility were gone from the world.

Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sheila,

I'm with you - I suppose with an ending like this one, we make a choice about what we want to believe. It would be interesting to read about Don Juan in the New World, with children of his own - how would he share with them the beliefs that he prizes?
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

What an idea--Don Juan in New Spain! I think he'd teach his sons about life and freedom but I think he'd coddle his daughters but keep them on a tight leash. Nothing worse than a reformed rake. His daughters would rebel though. It would be quite a story to read.
Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sheila,

I agree about the daughters - he would keep them close, and tell them what men are "really like" - ha! I'd like to see the sons growing up to marry - I think they'd have happy wives.

(PS - I have a great fun-loving friend named Shela, and every time I type to you, I want to remove your "i" - I'm doing well to remember though! :smileyhappy: )
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

Don't worry about misspelling my name. I have relatives who still can't spell it right. :smileyhappy:
Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Actually, it's our friend who spells it oddly, and for years I wanted to add the "i" to hers. My mother was very fond of traditional spellings for names, and she passed that trait to me.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 254 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: