Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: The Secret to Marriage

What is the secret of marriage (p. 234) that Manuel tells Don Juan? Do you agree with it? What is the secret that Serena tells him? Do you agree with her advice? What do you think is the nature of love and the secret to a joyous lifelong commitment to one other person? Do you think the passion and love that Manuel and Serena have can be maintained throughout a lifetime? What role models of True Passionate Love have you encountered?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: The Secret to Marriage

Stephanie wrote:

What is the secret of marriage (p. 234) that Manuel tells Don Juan? Do you agree with it? What is the secret that Serena tells him? Do you agree with her advice? What do you think is the nature of love and the secret to a joyous lifelong commitment to one other person? Do you think the passion and love that Manuel and Serena have can be maintained throughout a lifetime? What role models of True Passionate Love have you encountered?

Manuel tells Don Juan that the secret of marriage to feel and know all women through one woman. I feel that emotions are similar in all but the depth of an emotion will change from person to person. Because of life experiences and personalities are different in each person, to believe to know one woman is to know all is a false notion. I believe you can learn about one woman and come to know her and it will take a lifetime to really know a particular woman or man. As a person matures, they will change, usually for the better. They become more mellow, more gentle, more wise, more able to endure the knocks life throws at them. A person becomes, hopefully, more well rounded.

Serena believes true love is not in what you feel but in what you do. I think I believe Serena's advice is more realistic. Feelings go through ups and downs. Sometimes you get really mad at a person but you ride it through because you have a shared history. You know life goes in cycles and that the bad will go and the good will come again. You don't stray but stay and try to work things out because I have found that this too shall pass.

I do believe what Manuel and Serena have is true passionate love. They have a history together and the share interests. They come from similar backgrounds and enjoy each other. Their actions are full of humor and warmth. They seem to have private jokes and are happy to be with each other. They also can shut the world out when necessary.

The people who I've seen that have a true, passionate love are older people. Many have married late in life but are genuinely fond of each other. I see it in their teasing. They are comfortable with themselves and the comfortableness cares over into their relationship.

Sheila
Author
DouglasAbrams
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: The Secret to Marriage

smg5775 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Manuel tells Don Juan that the secret of marriage to feel and know all women through one woman. I feel that emotions are similar in all but the depth of an emotion will change from person to person. Because of life experiences and personalities are different in each person, to believe to know one woman is to know all is a false notion. I believe you can learn about one woman and come to know her and it will take a lifetime to really know a particular woman or man. As a person matures, they will change, usually for the better. They become more mellow, more gentle, more wise, more able to endure the knocks life throws at them. A person becomes, hopefully, more well rounded.

Serena believes true love is not in what you feel but in what you do. I think I believe Serena's advice is more realistic. Feelings go through ups and downs. Sometimes you get really mad at a person but you ride it through because you have a shared history. You know life goes in cycles and that the bad will go and the good will come again. You don't stray but stay and try to work things out because I have found that this too shall pass.

I do believe what Manuel and Serena have is true passionate love. They have a history together and the share interests. They come from similar backgrounds and enjoy each other. Their actions are full of humor and warmth. They seem to have private jokes and are happy to be with each other. They also can shut the world out when necessary.

The people who I've seen that have a true, passionate love are older people. Many have married late in life but are genuinely fond of each other. I see it in their teasing. They are comfortable with themselves and the comfortableness cares over into their relationship.

Interesting points. I definitely agree that the proof of true passionate love is in the longevity and vitality of a relationship. Manuel and Serena's love was definitely a model for me of how deep love, comfort, and enduring passion can sustain over the years. I'm glad you felt the truth of their love. I agree that all women, like all men, are different and that perhaps it is not possible to know each and every woman through one woman, but the depth of womanhood or manhood, can I believe be known through one woman or man. Don Juan discovers from Manuel that he does not need to swallow the world and know all women to discover this profound depth that he has only tasted. And yes, I think discovering the depth of a person is a lifelong endeavor.

Warmly,

Doug
Users Online
Currently online:15 members 262 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: