Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Dracula's Blood-Sucking Influence on Contemporary Fiction

[ Edited ]
We could talk for days on end about all of the books that Stoker's Dracula has influenced. The vampire mythos today is an extremely popular motif among numerous genres: romance, fantasy, horror, mystery, even young adult and children's books!

In your opinion, what are your top Dracula-influenced novels? Is it Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St. Germain saga, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series or some or the newer works like Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt novels or Mario Acevedo's Felix Gomez (The Nymphos of Rocky Flats, X-Rated Blood Suckers, etc.) series?

Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 09-27-2007 05:59 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Dracula's Blood-Sucking Influence on Contemporary Fiction

Here's my top ten vampire novels. What do you think? Agree? Disagree? What titles should be in the Top Ten that I'm missing?
Paul

TOP TEN VAMPIRE NOVELS
1. Bram Stoker’s Dracula – the granddaddy of them all
2. Richard Matheson’s I Am Legend
3. ‘Salem’s Lot by Stephen King
4. Lucius Shepard’s The Golden
5. Blood Games by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
6. Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire
7. The Children of the Night by Dan Simmons
8. Charlie Huston’s Already Dead
9. The Nymphos of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo
10. Fat White Vampire Blues and Bride of the Fat White Vampire by Andrew Fox
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
NickinColoma
0 Kudos

I would have to agree whole-heartedly with your list

BTW: Watch out for a I AM LEGEND movie
Nick in Coloma
Contributor
LindaKay
0 Kudos

Paul Your list is excellent -- some I haven't read and will look into. Although Butcher's Dresden Files books aren't vampire per se, they have some marvelous vampiric scenes that I enjoyed so I'd have to add them as a subset.
LindaKay
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I was going to write my top 10 list, but I decided I would mix it up and mention ten authors/books/series I enjoy that seem a little overlooked.

Baker, Nancy, "The Night Inside: A Vampire Thriller" - the truth is in the title. I'm surprised that this one is not better known.

Bergstom, Elaine, "Shattered Glass" and the Austra books - alien vampires, well-done. I also liked her novel "Mina," which was a sequel to "Dracula."

Ciencin, Scott, "The Vampire Odyssey," "The Wildlings," "Parliament of Blood" - long overdue for reprinting, they'd be hits now!

Daniels, Les, "The Black Castle," "The Silver Skull," "Citizen Vampire," "Yellow Fog," "No Blood Spilled" - the fact that these are out of print is a war crime against vampire literature.

Hambly, Barbara, "Those Who Hunt the Night" - it's not reinventing the wheel, but it is a well-done novel with a great period setting.

Martin, George R.R. "Fevre Dream" - not really that obscure a novel, but it doesn't show up on as many lists as it should. Excellent novel, would make a great miniseries.

Newman, Kim, "Anno Dracula," "The Bloody Red Baron," "Judgment of Tears" - they get a little too in-jokey near the end, but the first two in particular are great entertainment.

Reeves-Stevens, Garfield and Judith, "Bloodshift" - far ahead of their time, this book combined action, espionage, a strong female lead, and a pseudo-scientific explanation for vampires. Pick it up!

Skipp, John and Craig Spector, "The Light At the End" - want to know where the "punk vampire" image came from? Here you go. Awesome, darkly funny book.

Talbot, Michael, "The Delicate Dependency" - excellent book that I am surprised doesn't have a wider audience.

Special mention goes to: Whitely Strieber's "The Hunger," but since a movie was based on it, I don't think it qualifies as "too" overlooked :smileywink: One of my favorites, though...

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 10-03-2007 11:17 PM
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
PatienceP
0 Kudos

Oh, I liked Anno Dracula! Very sad book. I'll have to reread it, now that I know more about what it's talking about. (It's a divergence from the original Dracula, but when I last read it, I didn't know the original.)
About Elaine Bergstrom's book Mina--would it be a major spoiler if you said what species Mina Harker is in that book?

Sadness isn't sadness
It's happiness
In a black jacket

--Paul McCartney
Frequent Contributor
Curt42
0 Kudos

I mentioned this on another thread, but I would suggest George R.R. Martin's FEVRE DREAM. This is a period piece with a background of Mississippi riverboats and the back bayous of Louisiana. This books drips with atmoshere. The story deals with more than one vampire, in fact there is a major conflict between vampires. I found the book by accident before I had even had heard of Martin for his epic fantasy writings. The book is a minor masterpiece and belongs next to Dracula. I am not normally a fan of vampire stories, but this one is so good that it rates as one of my favorites of any gendre.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Derek:
Good call – I totally overlooked George R.R. Martin's Fevre Dream! That would definitely go onto my Top Ten...
Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780553383058&itm=1
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

PatienceP wrote:
About Elaine Bergstrom's book Mina--would it be a major spoiler if you said what species Mina Harker is in that book?

I am not sure if I understand your question, but it is a standalone from her Austra books. In other words, traditional vampires. Mina is human.
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
PatienceP
0 Kudos

Thank you. I'll explain why I asked this silly question elsewhere: let's just say that my exposure to the modern vampiric mythos somewhat colored how I read the original novel, and so I have some cognitive dissonance about Mina post-attack right now. I'd heard about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, as well, which hasn't helped.

Sadness isn't sadness
It's happiness
In a black jacket

--Paul McCartney
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

PatienceP wrote:
Thank you. I'll explain why I asked this silly question elsewhere: let's just say that my exposure to the modern vampiric mythos somewhat colored how I read the original novel, and so I have some cognitive dissonance about Mina post-attack right now. I'd heard about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, as well, which hasn't helped.

Mina is human in the League, too. Her power seems to be that she is really, really smart :smileywink:
Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Just a quick fyi for everyone – one of the authors we were talking about concerning Stoker's influence on contemporary fiction, Mario Acevedo, has a new installment of his Felix Gomez saga coming ot in March: the fittingly titled The Undead Kama Sutra. There's no posting yet on the B&N website but Acevedo's site has the cover art for all interested...
Paul

http://www.marioacevedo.com/
Contributor
Shroomy
0 Kudos

I love the list you have,but i would say that Twilight is one my top ten now though.It is a very good book.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Shroomy:
Nothing against Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga but I didn't include those books in my top ten for a few reasons: they offer nothing particularly new or revolutionary to the vampire mythos while novels like I Am Legend, The Golden and 'Salem's Lot really helped to expand and redefine the whole vampire subgenre. Also – and don't bite my head off here! – but I didn't find the writing in the Twilight saga noteworthy in any way. I mean, the writing was good, don't get me wrong, but there was nothing "special" about Meyer's narrative voice – no subtle nuances, extended symbolism,lyricism, etc. I really enjoyed all three of Meyer's books and am anxiously awaiting Breaking Dawn but in the overall scheme of things, I don't see these novels as "classics" like some of the other books on my list.

And another thing about the Twilight saga that I find strange – I'm thrown a little by the "Young Adult" label. I mean, sure, they feature young adult protagonists and lots of adolescent readers love these books but a few months ago when I moderated the Eclipse book forum, I was blown away by how many adults read this series. I think in some ways the "YA" categorization has hurt the potential market because some adults will undoubtedly be turned off by picking up what is considered a YA book. Does that make any sense at all?
Paul
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Oddly enough, I am thinking about picking up one of those Meyer books to read on my breaks at work. Kind of waffling on it, though.

I don't think the YA tag is an impediment. Look at Harry Potter and "A Series of Unfortunate Events" - I don't think Meyer is going to come close to that kind of financial success, but the YA (or even Childrens) label didn't hurt them. Just my crotchety two cents :smileywink:
Derek Tatum
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 519 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: