Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: Monstrous Vampires vs. Sexy Vampires vs. Love

[ Edited ]
"I personally think that vampires should love to drink blood and cause terror."

Well, we do have a dark side, and I think one of the major points is if the dark is something we should, can, or have to accept when the sun goes down and we listen to wolves howl by the light of a full moon...

There are other issues. Discoveries, such as electricity, or religions, like Christianity, elongates the day, informs us about what is "good", keeps us in the light or on the "good" side, but as Stoker states, also possibly driving the world to a state of imbalance, forcing the world to encounter an uglier, dark side, or a vampiric side of Nature.

Chad

Message Edited by chad on 11-04-2007 02:05 PM
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

And maybe some biology....

[ Edited ]
We have classified animals as either diurnal or nocturnal. That is, there are real animals that prey on others during the night, or mostly at night. The Vampire bat is the obvious example, which feeds on the blood of other animals, but rarely attacks humans. There are animals which are difficult to classify, or that are mostly nocturnal, or mostly diurnal, and they are classified accordingly. Activity of the coyote has been classified as mostly nocturnal, but this also varies. The wolf is an interesting case. A recent animal behavior report shows that the wolf will hunt nocturnally depending on human behavior. (See http://www.sekj.org/PDF/anz44-free/anz44-225.pdf.) And the other interesting animal, who also reacts to encroachment of other humans, possibly imitating the behavior of the wolf, is the human. He has been known to attack during the night to take advantage of the element of surprise. I don't know. The human may be increasingly difficult to classify into one or the other category.

What say you?
Chad

Message Edited by chad on 11-04-2007 02:02 PM
Frequent Contributor
PatienceP
0 Kudos

My theories on this:
The love of Jesus, the love of God, is everlasting, because of Who Jesus and God are. Human loves such as affection or friendship can be everlasting, but it's not necessarily automatic. "Love at first sight"--the love that you fall in--usually is temporary even if you are trying and hoping to make it permanent, but other sorts of love sometimes develop more easily in someone who is in love.

Sadness isn't sadness
It's happiness
In a black jacket

--Paul McCartney
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Patience:

I can't really disagree. I would say that love has two aspects: tangible and intangible, which can create problems when we need something steady, or when we need love.

Chad
New User
intern1989
0 Kudos

Re: Monstrous Vampires vs. Sexy Vampires

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that New York Times and USA Today Best-Selling Author L.A. Banks is coming out with a new book!!

Undead on Arrival (The next book in her crimson moon series) is being released March 31, 2009!

And to all the Vampire Huntress Legends fans, don't worry. L.A. Banks will be release the next book in the series this summer!

The Vampire Huntress Legends: Dawn and Darkness comes out September 1, 2009.

For more information on L.A. Banks, check out my blog!

http://intern1989.wordpress.com/

Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 256 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: