Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Recommended Reading

[ Edited ]
More from Bram Stoker

The Snake's Pass
This is Bram Stoker's debut novel, and the only one set in his native Ireland. In the hills near a mysterious west Ireland village, the King of Snakes has hidden his crown. The king's legend haunts the village, and its citizens often fall victim to the scams of treasure seekers. Even worse, the nearby bog has taken the lives of anyone and anything that crosses its path. In many ways, The Snake's Pass is a preview of the Dracula story.

The Jewel of Seven Stars
Stoker's novel of possesion and reincarnation based on his researches in Egyptology. Archaeologists and grave robbers came in search of the fabled Jewel of Seven Stars, which they found clutched in the hand of a mummy. Few heeded the ancient warning inscribed on the entrance of the hidden tomb, until all who came in contact with the Jewel began to die -- with the marks of a strangler around their neck.

The Lair of the White Worm
In a tale of ancient evil, Stoker creates a world of lurking horrors and bizarre denizens: a demented mesmerist, hellbent on mentally crushing the girl he loves; a gigantic kite raised to rid the land of an unnatural infestation of birds, and which receives strange commands along its string; and all the while, the great white worm slithers below, seeking its next victim.

Additional Recommended Reading

In Search of Dracula
Raymond T. McNally and Radu R. Florescu
The true story behind the legend of Dracula -- a biography of Prince Vlad of Transylvania, better known as Vlad the Impaler. This revised edition now includes entries from Bram Stoker's recently discovered diaries, the amazing tale of Nicolae Ceausescu's attempt to make Vlad a national hero, and an examination of recent adaptations in fiction, stage and screen.

Dracula, Prince of Many Faces
Raymond T. McNally and Radu R. Florescu
This book reveals the extraordinary life and times of the infamous Vlad Dracula of Romania (1431 - 1476), nicknamed the Impaler. Dreaded by his enemies, emulated by later rulers like Ivan the Terrible, honored by his countrymen even today, Vlad Dracula was surely one of the most intriguing figures to have stalked the corridors of European and Asian capitals in the fifteenth century.

Interview with the Vampire
Ann Rice
Here are the confessions of a vampire. Hypnotic, shocking, and chillingly erotic, this is a novel of mesmerizing beauty and astonishing force -- a story of danger and flight, of love and loss, of suspense and resolution, and of the extraordinary power of the senses. "Rice turned the vampire genre on its ear with this first novel, which evolved into one of the most popular series in recent history" (Library Journal).

Eclipse
Stephenie Meyer
As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob -- knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which?

Frankenstein
Mary Shelley
At once a Gothic thriller, a passionate romance, and a cautionary tale about the dangers of science, Frankenstein tells the story of committed science student Victor Frankenstein. Obsessed with discovering "the cause of generation and life" and "bestowing animation upon lifeless matter," Frankenstein assembles a human being from stolen body parts but; upon bringing it to life, he recoils in horror at the creature's hideousness. Shelly's instant bestseller not only tells a terrifying story, but also raises profound questions about what it means to be human.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Robert Louis Stevenson
Idealistic young scientist Henry Jekyll struggles to unlock the secrets of the soul. Testing chemicals in his lab, he drinks a mixture he hopes will isolate -- and eliminate -- human evil. Instead it unleashes the dark forces within him, transforming him into the hideous and murderous Mr. Hyde. This classic dramatically brings to life a science-fiction case study of the nature of good and evil and the duality that can exist within one person.

The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
Edgar Allan Poe
Creator of the modern detective story, innovative architect of the horror genre, and a poet of extraordinary musicality, Edgar Allan Poe remains one of America’s most popular and influential writers. His tales and poems brim with psychological depth, almost painful intensity, and unexpected -- and surprisingly modern -- flashes of dark humor and irony.

Message Edited by Jessica on 09-27-2007 04:11 PM

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Re: Recommended Reading

Fred Saberhagen's "The Dracula Tape." While the "good guy vampire" theme has become as cliche as the Grade Z Counts you see on the late, late movie, Saberhagen was there before most everyone else. "The Dracula Tape" presents Stoker's novel from the Count's POV, and what a difference it makes. It is a hilarious, exciting, and perceptive novel.
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Don't forget The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It is wonderful!
So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
Curt42
0 Kudos

Another great, and slightly less known, vampire book is FEVRE DREAM by George R.R. Martin, he of the fantasy fame. I am normally not a fan of vampire stories, but this has a background of Mississippi riverboats and the swamps of Louisiana, that make it one of the most compelling books that I have ever read.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Curt:
You're so right! We were just talking about the Top Ten Vampire novels of all time of the "Dracula's Blood-Sucking Influence" thread (link below) and Martin's Fevre Dream is one of his most uderappreciated works – I loved it. Here's my updated Top Ten in case you're interested...
Paul

TOP TEN VAMPIRE NOVELS
1. Bram Stoker’s Dracula – the granddaddy of them all
2. Richard Matheson’s I Am Legend
3. ‘Salem’s Lot by Stephen King
4. Lucius Shepard’s The Golden
5. Blood Games by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
6. Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire
7. The Children of the Night by Dan Simmons
8. Charlie Huston’s Already Dead
9. Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin
10. The Nymphos of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=bsdclassic&thread.id=7&jump=true
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

One author that seems to be forgotten is P N Elrod. I am thinking of her Barrett series and the one that starts with Keeper of kings. Then there is her Vampire Files which is set in this country but I think they all rate as classics.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Toni:
You're absolutely right – PN Elrod! I reviewed an Elrod book during my very first years as a reviewer for B&N. I'm going to go and see if I can dig up that title in my files...

....found it! The book was called Lady Crymsyn, a Vampire Files novel which I evidently loved. Thank you for kick-starting my memory! The dusty old review is below if you're interested...
Paul

Lady Crymsyn
A Novel of The Vampire Files
P.N. Elrod
Berkley/Ace
$22.95; November 2000

Do you like stories about vampires? If you do, you've most likely discovered P.N. Elrod's Vampire Files series. And if you haven't, then consider reading this review an act of fate. The great thing about this series is that you don't necessarily have to start with the first book. I started with the sixth book (Elrod's latest, Lady Crymsyn, is the eighth book in the series) and didn't miss a beat.
The storyline is pretty simple - it's 1930's Chicago and Jack Fleming is a dead man. Actually, he's undead - he's a vampire. The saga chronicles Jack's adventures as a private investigator and sometimes reporter. In Elrod's newest, Fleming has begun a new career as a nightclub owner. His nightclub, which is called Lady Crymsyn, is weeks from opening. While Jack oversees the final construction projects, workers in the basement discover something horrible - the corpse of a woman who had evidently been chained to the wall and bricked in alive!
Jack vows to find out who would do such a psychotic thing, and in the process almost gets himself killed. As Jack digs deeper into the Chicago underworld, he uncovers some shady characters and even shadier business deals. As the mystery of the dead woman unfolds, Jack must deal with exploding grenades, drive-by shootings, cement shoes that are just his size, even a ghost! As he gets closer to uncovering the killer, he must also protect his girlfriend, the popular singer Bobbi Smythe, from harm.
I love this series. The books are witty, fast-paced, and Elrod recreates a 1930's Chicago that is both gruesomely realistic and addictively entertaining. If you enjoy reading novels about vampires, I highly recommend this series. I'll guarantee you that Jack Fleming is like no other vampire you've ever come across before.

-Paul Goat Allen
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
Jenkinsjm
0 Kudos

I recommend "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It is a slightly different novel centered on the Dracula legend. It is a great read, but might keep you looking over your shoulder.
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 427 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: