Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

The Significance of Blood Sucking

Hey everyone:
I just ran across a really interesting thread over on the paranormal fantasy forum about the importance of "blood sucking" in contemporary paranormal fantasy novels. (The link is below.) Pretty fascinating conversation, especially considering the obvious connections with Stoker's Dracula.

I chimed in with my two cents – "The concept of blood drinking or blood sharing means different things in different novels – domination, trust, foreplay, communion, sustenance, etc. – but I think at the roots of this as a narrative element, and why perhaps it's so popular in so many different genres, can be found in both its primalness and its intimacy. The primalness of stalking and killing prey and the intimacy of sex – or death. Blood is such a powerful symbol – it's the beauty of life and the horror of death all wrapped up together." – and I'd love to hear your comments!
Paul

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=vpttn&thread.id=1997&jump=true
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
PatienceP
0 Kudos

Re: The Significance of Blood Sucking

Reminds me:
CBS is airing a program Moonlight about a vampire PI who is determined to be good and not kill people, at least not directly. He lives off donated blood.
Anyhow, this week, the trailer for Moonlight has a human friend of this vampire PI urging him to drink her blood because he's dying. I am wondering what sort of cosmology/philosophy is required for a human to ask a vampire to drink her blood when he doesn't want to do it (at least not initially).

Sadness isn't sadness
It's happiness
In a black jacket

--Paul McCartney
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Patience:
Yes! I saw that as well – that show definitely has potential but I'm not going to get excited yet. Usually, when I get all psyched about a new show, it turns out to be disappointing... We shall see!
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
So far I've enjoyed "Moonlight." It is basically "Forever Knight" with a different cast and bigger budget, but hey, I liked "Forever Knight." Full speed ahead as far as I am concerned (though I don't like "Moonlight" nearly as much as "Supernatural" ).

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 10-21-2007 05:25 PM
Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Derek:
Supernatural is another one that looks great but I still haven't had the time to watch it. I just went to CW's Supernatural microsite – pretty interesting, for some reason the two brothers remind me of the protags in Rob Thurman's urban fantasy series (Nightlife, Moonshine, et. al.) but I could be totally wrong. Supernatural seems to have the same dark vibe... I must remember: Thursdays at 9!
Paul
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Definitely check out "Supernatural." I was skeptical at first, but now I like it better than the best seasons of "The X-Files." And yeah...it reminds me of Thurman's books, too. It is well worth your time.
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

I usually, that is when I encounter blood sucking, think that it is literally sucking the "life" out of someone. I don't want to jump ahead, but you might consider our world history as being capable of doing just that.

Chad
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Chad:
Interesting comment – can you elaborate? I'm curious!
Paul
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Paul-

Well, in this case, the loss of blood or blood sucking, resulted in walking "dead" or the loss of color. Stoker's blood sucking vampire story may in part arise from an old "past" practice of blood letting that literally almost sucked his life away....

Chad

Message Edited by chad on 10-26-2007 05:15 PM
Frequent Contributor
PatienceP
0 Kudos

Thought: Dr. Van Helsing and Dr. Seward must be among the first to attempt blood transfusions in fiction--that is, to attempt to get blood into a patient. This "operation" was rare enough that Arthur Holmwood thinks of his giving blood to Lucy as a form of marriage--until he learns that he wasn't the only one to do it for her.

Sadness isn't sadness
It's happiness
In a black jacket

--Paul McCartney
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Bloodletting and transfusion

[ Edited ]
I'd have to doublecheck my sources, but I believe important discoveries in both practices were made during the 19th century. Stoker obviously encountered some outlandish medical practices.

Chad

Message Edited by chad on 10-29-2007 02:02 PM
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 868 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: