Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

The Vampire Hunter's Handbook

Hey guys!

For those of you who haven't seen The Vampire Hunter's Handbook yet, it's a $14.98 "coffee table" book written by Raphael Van Helsing that is a journal of sorts from the last son of the Van Helsing line who sets out to avenge the murder of his wife-to-be after she is killed by a vampire. Included are sections on "Vampire Aristocracy and Nobility," "Vampires and their Slaves," "Myth and Reality," "The Vampire Diaspora," "Effective Weapons for Combat with Vampires," "Armour and Protection," "Combat Strategy," "Vampire Artefacts," and so much more.

But the thing that makes this book an absolute jaw-dropper is the illustrations on every single page by Miles Teves, which are comparable to images by H.R. Giger, Zdzislaw Beksinski, etc. This guy is simply amazing. Please check out his website below as well as the link to the book. Fans of vampire-related fantasy and horror will not be sorry!
Paul

http://www.milesteves.com/

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780760793992&itm=1
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Re: The Vampire Hunter's Handbook

It's awesome. You want this book.
Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Derek:
I can't agree with you enough. Fans of vampire-related fiction – especially those drawn to the monstrous, nightmarish vampires – will absolutely love this book. Honestly, I was surprised when I found out that it was only $14.98. There was one illustration in particular – that depicted a group of vampires feasting on strung up bodies around a table – that just blew me away. I've never seen anything like it. That one image was worth the price of the book alone...
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:
There was one illustration in particular – that depicted a group of vampires feasting on strung up bodies around a table – that just blew me away.
Paul

That was the one that yelled at me. I actually prefer many of the other illustrations, like the Nosferatu-esque Royal (have I mentioned that I love Nosferatu lately?) and the vampiric werewolves. But that feast scene (along with the write-up on their eatin' tools), that was when I decided that I was going to buy the book immediately, without waiting to order it later. It showed me guys who got it.

As I have said elsewhere, if you like Stoker's Dracula, Hammer-style horror, vampie hunters (well, of course), Ravenloft, Brian Lumley's Wamphyri, Warhammer's Vampire Counts, Nosferatu, creepy batlike monsters, stuff like that, you can't afford to overlook this one. I hate to sound like an in-house shill (which I am not), but Barnes & Noble did a Good Thing by foisting this off on the reading public.

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 10-30-2007 09:36 PM
Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Derek:
Ditto on the in-house shill comment. If I don't like a book, believe me, I'll let everyone know about it regardless of who the author or publisher is. The fact that B&N's press pubbed The Vampire Hunter's Handbook is completely coincidental. In fact, if it wasn't for you bringing it up, I wouldn't never sought out this book. I'm sure glad I did though...
Paul
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

I have to say, B&N press has a superior publishing program. I championed "Weird NJ" as soon as it came out (I was working at a B&N at the time), and it was gratifying to see it take off. It was even more gratifying to see them start cranking out other "Weird" books, reissuing out of print books on ghosts and Jack the Ripper, and hardcover editions of oddball stuff like "The President's Vampire." That is one publishing house I wish I was a part of.
Derek Tatum
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 678 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: