Frequent Contributor
Paiger34433
0 Kudos

Re: Aversion to marriage??

Yes. I agree. I think that edward is particially into the marriage thing as a delay, a distraction (we all know he likes distracting bella when it's convient for him). And i think that this is further proven at the end of eclipse when he gives up on his conditions. That includes not getting married, turning bella into a vampire immediately, and giving into bella's 'demands'. I think he realized that being a vampire is the life that bella really wants and she knows whats she's getting into. He stops trying distract her from it and now instead of trying to protect her from it, he wants to make her happy.
But
Frequent Contributor
Paiger34433
0 Kudos

Yes. I agree. I think that edward is particially into the marriage thing as a delay, a distraction (we all know he likes distracting bella when it's convient for him). And i think that this is further proven at the end of eclipse when he gives up on his conditions. That includes not getting married, turning bella into a vampire immediately, and giving into bella's 'demands'. I think he realized that being a vampire is the life that bella really wants and she knows whats she's getting into. He stops trying distract her from it and now instead of trying to protect her from it, he wants to make her happy.
But of
Frequent Contributor
Paiger34433
0 Kudos

I agree. I think Edward is trying to delay Bella’s “eternal damnation”. We all know that Edward likes to distract Bella when it’s convenient for him so what’s better than the ultimate distraction and delay…marriage. I found it extremely confusing and surprising at the end of eclipse when Edward completely changed his mind. I had to read that part at least 5 times to get it straight. I think Edward realized that he cant keep protecting Bella from the fate she has already chosen for herself. He realized that in the end all he wants is Bella’s happiness, no matter what. Even if that happiness means being with Jacob Black, or Edward himself leaving Bella for what had thought was forever… only for her happiness.

It all kind of clicked for Edward when Bella so easily accepted Alice’s extravagant plans for their wedding. (we all know how Bella can be a party pooper to the extreme).

But also I think that the wedding is as much as a delay as it is what Edward really wants to be married to Bella. He says to Bella. “I was always that boy”. Bella talks about how she doesn’t want to be, “That girl”, the kind of girl from a small town that marries her high school sweetheart and then people assume that she’s been knocked up. You have to admit, she has a point. She’s 18, I wouldn’t want to be “That girl” either. Edward’s very old-fashioned. That’s what people did back then. By 17, they were probably already married with kids.

The Bella and Edward marriage- definitely something to consider.

“I could see it in your eyes, that you honestly believed that I didn’t want you anymore. That most absurd, ridiculous concept- as if there were any that I could exist without needing you!”- my favorite masochistic vampire.

~Paige

Contributor
cranguard
0 Kudos

I think she doesn't want to get married because, like she explained, her parents. When her mother left Charlie she went to Florida with her mom. Bella explains in the beginning of Twilight how seeing the pictures on the walls and mantle with her, Renee, and Charlie how her father seemed to never really get over her mom. A child of divorced parents, I think, will of course have some left over residue from that experience. She also explains how she just isn't "that girl." It's easy for us to be able to look over that fact because we know how Edward is a vampire, we know how much they truly do care for each other. We saw how Bella was distraught when Edward left. We know that Edward only left to protect Bella. Everyone else, doesn't know all of that. People don't know that Edward is a vampire. She's worried about her image to those people that don't know the truth. If everyone knew how she felt for Edward, and how much they truly did love each other, I'm almost positive that Bella would have a different opinion.
Contributor
Alice_Marie
0 Kudos

I agree with most of the opinions written above, but some I don't. I think that Edward would still want to marry Bella, because he wants her to be with him forever. (I think he also means it as kind of an end to Jacob wanting to be with Bella because she'll be married.

But they love each other, and they do want to be together. I think why Edward gave in in Eclipse is because he hates seeing Bella unhappy, and he knows how hard Alice making the wedding a big deal would be on Bella, especially if it's not what she wants.

But I hope they do get married!

Alice