BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: Bella and Edward's Destiny

Do you think Bella and Edward could be together if Bella decided to remain human? Why or why not?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Bella and Edward's Destiny

I think that it would totally change the dynamic of their relationship- their relationship is totally based on their infatuation for each other- her scent and his "vampireness"...i believe that in the end, they will marry, consumate the marriage and then Alice will have a baby vision. She can't "convert" while she is expecting and that's where it will lead...the question is- human baby or vampire????
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
This is a great question. I can only see two possible futures for Bella – one where she marries Edward and eventually becomes a vampire or one where she decides to embrace her "humanity" and ends up with Jacob. I can't see Bella remaining human while her husband was a vampire? She would quickly grow old and die while he remains ageless – it seems pointless to me....
Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 08-21-2007 08:41 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Didn't Jacob say he won't age either?? Boy, she is not in a good situation either way! I do want to see her marrying Edward- they are simply too connected not to marry. And a baby would really complete the picture- I guess I am too much of a romantic :-)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Joy:
yeah, you're right – Jacob doesn't age either... Man, talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place! I still say Jake is the better match. If Bella became a vampire, she wouldn't be able to have kids? Right? And if she ended up with Jake, at least they could have a family...
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
readercaitlin
0 Kudos

Jacob will age eventually it says. I think it said that once he isn't turning into a wolf for a certain amount of time he will start to age.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Caitlin:
You're right – but even with Jacob's eventual aging process I think it still means a huge burden on the hypothetical relationship between him and Bella. And if Bella remains human, it's even worse with Edward, who will essentially stay the same age forever – or until someone kills him. It's such a strange predicament. Put yourself in her position – if you really loved a vampire, you would do everything in your power to become like him, right? So that you could be on "equal" ground. And put yourself in Edward's position. You love this woman with all of your being and want to be with her forever but you also know the nightmarish side of becoming undead... what do you do? I'm glad I'm not a vampire!
Paul
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

I am sure your wife is happy about that, too, Paul! Would being a Cullenesque vampire be such an awful way to live? They make it look like so much fun; on the other hand, how many times can a person relive high school??? Ugh!
Contributor
twig824
0 Kudos

If she still desided to stay human I dont think that would really change the relationship they have now and about dealing with other vampires and were-wolfs hunting Bella and Edward and his family trying to save Bella. It would be a lot cooler if Bella did turn into a vampire because she would be able to help with defeating other vampires but, it would be kind of a let down because how would Edward learn to deal with other humans without hurting them.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Two comments here:
1) Joy, you are so right – reliving high school would not be fun and it would get really boring really quick.
2) Twig – if and when Bella becomes a vampire, the entire feel of the saga is going to change. It will be, for me, an entirely new series. And there is something distinctively "cool" about this possibility – it will be like Bella instantly transforming from a high school student to an adult. Her world will change forever – and any future plotlines will be much more "adult" – a la Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake novels.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Do you think stephenie will make more adult books about this series? somehow I don't think so...but one can always hope!

There is a touch of romance is these books (ok, more than a touch hehe)...and having those feelings turn more adult may complicate things for Meyers, especially since she's Mormon, right? What do you think?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Xtinah:
Breaking Dawn (tentative release the fall of 2008) will be the concluding volume of the Bella storyline but Meyer has said in interviews that this is not the end of stories in this universe so hopefully there will be plenty more to come...
Paul
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

I agree with you, Ex- she has an amazing way of being erotic and subtle at the same time...I hope she figures out a way to keep it going!
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Joy: Definitely! I can't wait :]

Paul: I mean--these books are currently YA....so some adult books (like her original "new moon" that she wrote) would be fun... :smileyhappy: Let her delve into other issues.

Going back to the original question--obviously Bella *could* remain human while staying with Edward...but would she ever be completely happy? She already feels "lesser" than the Cullen family since they are so special...and she's not.

But isn't she? I think one main part of why the Cullens like her is because she IS human--not as food, but because she's refreshing. They think it's fascinating to have a human as a friend--and to remember how it was like to be a human. They love that she has to eat, they love that she is growing up (birthdays where she actually ages), etc. She allows them a little bit of humanity.

Also, like Paul said, I think that Edward knows that if she stays human...she just might leave him to be with Jacob. Dun dun dun...

Message Edited by extinah on 08-28-2007 07:58 AM
Contributor
Sephyra
0 Kudos

I think Bella remaining human is highly improbable. Being a human with so many monster friends already has put her in danger, and also risks anyone close to her. How would she feel if some Volturi decided to threaten Charlie or Renee's life if she hesitates too long? Plus what would be the plot? We've already seen how difficult it is for her to stay human, we can't have just more of the same. I am very interested to see how Meyer writes the turning, and what happens with Bella's resistance to other vampire's special abilities after she's one herself. Will she remain an enigma?
New User
evilgeneous
0 Kudos

If Edward's body is technically dead wouldn't that mean that his ****** would be dead too? Doesn't that make it physically impossible for him to produce a child? I mean, Esme could have children then couldn't she? It wouldn't be fair if it was only Esme's vampire-ness stopped her from having children, right?
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

At twilight lexicon "correspondance", they have complied questions and answers the readers have asked of Stephenie Meyers.

"Q. Can vampires have sex?

A. Yes. Don’t think I haven’t put a lot of thought into this one. I’m not going to get technical, but rest assured, it is entirely possible. "

Here's the link :]

http://twilightlexicon.com/the-lexicon/personal-correspondence/
Contributor
Sephyra
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm kinda confused about the whole sex issue in this series, I'm not really sure why Edward is protecting Bella's virtue in Eclipse. They've declared themselves, she's becoming a vampire to be with him forever yet premarital sex is suddenly more horrible than murder? I suppose Meyer is sending a message to caution young people yet it ends up seeming rather oddly approached, but maybe it's just me.

As for the mechanics, I can't help thinking about blushing... i.e. blood flow, if Edward can't blush how can he...?

And now the last 4 replies on the board are mine. Shutting up for awhile :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Sephyra on 08-29-2007 04:34 PM
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

He does tell Bella that he could "perform" but is afraid that in his passion he would squish her or something...and that the other couples have "normal" relationships, so it looks like they have no issues with that aspect of their lives...

I think Edward is very old fashioned- he is over 100 after all, and wants to experience the marriage/sex thing like he would have if he were human in his past life...he is very nostalgic about the whole thing. He is protecting both their virtues; seems to be that he's a virgin, too.

I just really think that in today's day and age it's amazing to find a writer that is able to keep her books very chaste and very erotic at the same time! Kisses in her books mean so much more than sex in a lot of other books...even that Jacob/Bella kiss!
New User
Tnzgirl
0 Kudos

I think Jacob is a little to clicky... but i agree with a little child, but i really would only want Bella to have a child (boy) with Edward. Jacob, even though he seems like he would be a good Dad, so does Edward.