Contributor
cranguard
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Bella and Her Suitors

Edward shows his love by being a protector. He's constantly thinking about Bella's safety. From the very beginning the only thing he wanted to do was keep her out of harm's way. He loved her so much he walked away from her in order to save her. He can also provide for her. Something has to be said for being taken care of!

Jacob is more up front with his emotions. He has always been honest with Bella about his feelings for her even after she told him how she feels about him.

I personally believe that both Jacob and Edward have the ability to make Bella happy. Jacob and Bella would be able to produce a family of their own. She'll be able to keep her human life with the human people in it. With Edward, I also think a family of their own is possible even if she is immortal. (did anyone watch the Buffy spinoff Ange? two vampires had a baby on there!) Even if that's not the case Edward would still be able to provide Bella with a family - the Cullens.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Cranguard--i agree! Both suitors would give Bella a fulfilling life.

(also note: meyer says that vampires can't get anyone pregnant in her series. :[)
Contributor
jb73
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I so agree with the fact that Jake could imprint and then where would Bella be..
But maybe Jake has already imprinted on Bella.. I know most of you will say she has to belong to Jakes tribe to be imprinted on.. But what if she is related to them in someway and that is why she has those dreams... Also it could be why her connection to Jake is so strong.. As far as the differences between the two most of it is age and experience.. I feel that the reason Bella was so free with Jake is that she wasn't worried about losing him or not being good enough for him and that is why there relationships seem so different..

Thanks,
Jessica

Message Edited by jb73 on 08-30-2007 03:25 PM
Contributor
Pink4Ever
0 Kudos

Actually I think Edward is better suited for her because, when they fight he can calm himself and not hurt her. With Jacob she is constanly in danger of him getting mad and turning into a werewolf and tearing her to shreds. I decided to put this because in this type of disscussions I noticed that no one ever takes this into account for decideing who Bella should be with.
New User
xoxo41487
0 Kudos

Well, Jacob..ummmm, well I don't lik him in the first page, and wish he would just DIE!!!!!!!!!!! I think with Jacob she can be more child-like. With Edward she can be.....IDK. I think Edward is wayyyyy better than Jacob. Edward isn't mean, he is just trying to protect her. Edward makes me laugh, I don't find Jacob funny at all. All in all, Edward is better.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

I wholeheartedly disagree--I love Jake. :]

I HOPE he's more child-like than Edward--he's only teenager! He's VERY grown up for a teen. He's two years younger than Bella! Edward has had a century to learn things, cultivate himself, etc etc.

I don't think one character is "better" than the other--they are ust different. Both have their good qualities and bad qualities.

Also, even when Jake WAS mad, he never shifted while with Bella. Although he MIGHT shift, he hasn't yet.

It's just like with Edward--he COULD hurt her, but he hasn't yet. Edward says that he has to be VERY careful around her so that he doesn't accidentally crush her skull in one of the books (or one of Meyes outtakes). Edward has to be careful when kissing Bella so the venom doesn't get in her system. Also, Bella's blood sings to him...even though he has shown considerable restraint from trying to kill Bella while she's bleeding, etc.

Edward gets angry, too--he just does a better job at keeping his face stoney. Jake wears his emotions right the surface--you never doubt how he's feeling.
Contributor
carsonc
0 Kudos

Here's my thing, it seems to me that whenever Jacob does get upset and could change- one he keeps in control for the most part, two it seems that Bella can calm Jacob by just touching him.
New User
ohhlianna
0 Kudos

Well, I don't have much to say except but when I read the books over, I know deep-down that Edward is meant to be with Bella. I feel sorry for Jacob; I hate seeing him get kicked in the face over and over, but I think this is Bella's destiny.
New User
hermioneroxs
0 Kudos

You shouldn't feel sorry for Jaocb, becuase he'll find his imprinted one. Do you really want Bella to be like Leah Clearwater. Thats another reason why Edwards so much better for
Bella. Hes not going to hurt her like Jacob wiil.
There will always be a reserved place in my heart where Harry Potter will rest forever. You will not be forgotten.
Edward Cullen is my fictional husband.
New User
marisol97229
0 Kudos

I think that you have to read the extras S Meyer has on her website, with Jacobs "summary" under new moon, and Edwards POV book, midnight sun. (1st chptr on site) You can tell that Jacob knows he shouldnt fall in love with Bella, but he does anyway. Right before he "became" a werewolf, he seemed really great with Bella, making her happy. But now, he is less under control with being a werewolf than Edward is with being a vampire, like Edward is more practiced with handling being inhuman. I believe that they both care for her very much, but I have to say, I really love Edward, sepecially because of his love showed in the meadow, at the hospital, and how he was so unhappy without her, hewanted his "life" ended when she supposedly died. I think Jacob would have eventually gotten over that, while Edward would not. Edward also seems like he would be more dedicated. He cares more for her safety, but not to the point where he has her on a leash. He would do anything for Bella, and I dont think Jacob would. I guess Jacob could be her friend, but Edward is her soulmate. People think that Bella would be more happy with Jacob, having kids, family, etc, but I think it would be just as hard, because he turns into a wolf, and could just as easily kill her as Edward. I doubt she would be happier with Jacob. Also, notice how she seems frightened of Jacob becoming a wolf, but she feels very safe, especially safe, in Edwards arms. So, I think its fairly close, but I must choose Edward.
Edward’s only human, Bella. He’s going to react like any other boy.” — Angela Weber
Frequent Contributor
lover_face
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:
What differences do you see in the ways that Jacob and Edward show their respective love for Bella? How does what they can give to Bella differ?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

i think edward shows alot more respect for bella then jacob does hes such a stupid little smart allic no offense. but edward is so in love with bella and is so respectible when theres jake that is this pushy flirt. i think jake is really annoying and dosnt even compare in how much he loves bella to how edward does what do you think?
"When you loved the one who was killing you, it left you no options"
~Bella- Breaking Dawn
Frequent Contributor
LoveRae
0 Kudos

As for the whole imprinting thing...you imprint the first time you see the person. Obviously Jacob didn't imprint on Bella because he couldn't tell her what was going on when he turned into a werewolf. I am pretty sure he can't imprint on Leah either because he has seen her a number of times and doesn't seem to have strong feelings for her. He may not imprint for 100s of years. Remember they only stop aging when they no longer morph. Do you really think Jacob would give that up for Bella? I think he enjoys being a werewolf. He may give it up for her but he would probably resent her a little for the rest of his life since she is not his soulmate.

As for the Jacob and Edward debate. Jacob and Bella have a very immature relationship. A relationship that would be expected of people their age. They may love each other for the moment but who's to say it will continue for the rest of their lives? They fight over petty things and do not resolve their conflicts easily. They hold grudges.

As for Edward, one thing I noticed while reading the series is that Bella can talk to Edward about anything. He may seem flustered at the time but he never truly gets mad at her. She feels comfortable talking it out with him and him with her. Although Bella may keep certain things from Edward she never hesitates to tell him how she feels. Their relationship is very mature. Most people I know do not even have a relationship with this. Their talking turns into arguing. They do not compromise that well.Compromise is one thing Edward constantly thinks of. The way Edward and Bella communicate shows promise for their future relationship. They aren't afraid to hold back.
Contributor
windchill2770
0 Kudos

Bella is more on her wild side with jacob, and shes more mature around edward.
but that doesnt mean edward takes away all the fun. hes not dull! his calm and coolness is the very exciting part about him! hes more of a rationalized thinker compared to rash and annoying jacob. hes more capable of protecting bella than jake is.

and also, edward deserves bella a lot more too. cuz hes been thorugh SO much more pain that jake has [being like 200 years old or something], and hes a lot more selfless than jacob. jacob is stupid and selfish. doesnt think about the feeelings of others at all.

and i personally like edwards family better than jakes. emmett and alice are so funny! alice is cute. jasper is pretty cool. i dont like rosalie tho. esme and carlisle r SO nice and thotful.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't want to be the night,
but to be the moon instead, so that I can shed light and make sure you're never lonely.
Frequent Contributor
lover_face
0 Kudos

see thats how i feel. edward isnt taking any fun away from bella and if he his it dosnt seem to bother bella. ya she wild with jake but shes so happy with edward and still has fun with him!
~Bella- Breaking Dawn
Frequent Contributor
weirdpanda3
0 Kudos

i think edward would be better for bella i seriously doubt that was he loves and holds him to is her smell. he loves because she is not like everybody else. and what draws bella to edward at first are his looks but then how noble he is and so many other things like trying to be a good person by fighting his nature.jacob is great he has some good qualities but he is childish and cant control the fact that he might someday imprint on somebody.the fact that he didnt imprint on bella is enough proof that they arent meant to be together.
Frequent Contributor
javagoo
0 Kudos

ok jacob sucks butt.  it was extremely gey of him to be all like im going to kill myself if you dont kiss me.  and edward was totally cool about it.  it just shows how much more edward cares about bella than jacob.  when she kissed jacob edward was very understanding about it and didnt get mad.  he lets her hang out with jacob and all.  jaacob on the other hand is always all pissy when bellas with edward or the other cullens.  that just makes me mad.  and bellas scent isnt all that attracts edward.  they have a true connection eventhough bellas screwing it all up.  and all this stuff about not being fun.  edward is fun.  the only reason they talk about the future alot is because hes concerned for bellas safety what with them being vampires and all.  that does not mean that he isnt fun.  how about the meadow, and the entire summer.  ya thats right.  sooo lets see about jacob.  he doesnt seem to be at all concerned about what he can do to bella.  to me he seems very selfish.  and it irritates me.   ya i edward says he selfish but really if he has the heart to torture himself to trying to make bellas life easier, then i do not agree with him.  jacob just needs to imprint on someone else and butt outa bellas life if he cant handle just being her friend.  if he ruins any more of edward and bellas rellationship im gonna beee soo mad.  AND u know how everyone talks about who deserves bella.  wel have u guys thought about if bella deserves them.  honestly eventhough edward doesnt admit it.  u all know that bella hurt him a lot when she kissed jacob.  i cant wait for midnight sun and the other ones in edwards POV to come out (if there are others)  just so that we can see what he really is going through when bella pulls all this stupid crap that shes doing.
Frequent Contributor
lover_face
0 Kudos

I hate Jake and i always will hate the mangy mutt. I love Edward and will always think that Bella belongs with him. The end! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
~Bella- Breaking Dawn
Distinguished Correspondent
esme_cullen24
0 Kudos

This may already have been brought into view but Edward is so in love with Bella he just wants her to be happy. That's why he left in New Moon. That's why he wasn't angry in Eclipse when they kissed. On the other hand Jacob only wants her to be with him. He doesn't care if she isn't happy with him he just wants her. It's kind of like the whole King Solomon thing were he said cut the baby in half and the mother who cared the most said No! give it to her I would gladly spare my child to see it alive. Edward is the mother who cried no because he cares for Bella the most. While Jacob just thinks he needs her. And thinking of this now Edward really does need her. They are good for eachother, Edward and Bella,. Think about when they went to vist Renee in Florida. She said they naturally form to each others bodies. Does that mean anything to you Jacob lovers?

Fire and Ice
some say the world will end in fire
some say in ice
from what i've seen of desire
i hold with those who favor fire
but if it had to perish twice
i've known enough hate to know
that for destruction ice
is also great
and would suffice
There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.-----Emily Dickinson
Frequent Contributor
lover_face
0 Kudos

esme_cullen24 wrote:
This may already have been brought into view but Edward is so in love with Bella he just wants her to be happy. That's why he left in New Moon. That's why he wasn't angry in Eclipse when they kissed. On the other hand Jacob only wants her to be with him. He doesn't care if she isn't happy with him he just wants her. It's kind of like the whole King Solomon thing were he said cut the baby in half and the mother who cared the most said No! give it to her I would gladly spare my child to see it alive. Edward is the mother who cried no because he cares for Bella the most. While Jacob just thinks he needs her. And thinking of this now Edward really does need her. They are good for eachother, Edward and Bella,. Think about when they went to vist Renee in Florida. She said they naturally form to each others bodies. Does that mean anything to you Jacob lovers?
Fire and Ice
some say the world will end in fire
some say in ice
from what i've seen of desire
i hold with those who favor fire
but if it had to perish twice
i've known enough hate to know
that for destruction ice
is also great
and would suffice

i totally agree with you. i think Edward and Bella should be together
and that Edward just completely loves her! :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:
~Bella- Breaking Dawn