Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: Bella and Her Suitors

What differences do you see in the ways that Jacob and Edward show their respective love for Bella? How does what they can give to Bella differ?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Bella and Her Suitors

Well, the thing is, Bella seems to feel much "freer" with Jacob- more able to be herself. She seems very stilted around Edward. The only thing they seem to have in common is their obsession with each other...and would that last if she were to become a vampire??? Her scent as a human intoxicates him and his vampireness intoxicates her...how can they think that this is not why they are so into each other?
It's nice to see that Edward kind of loosened up a little in this book but he still semms like he is not as warm (well that goes without saying) and fun...The thing I prefer about Edward is that he seems to want Bella to be happy more than he wants what he wants and Jacob is still a little boy in that way...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

joyd: I have that same opinion but I'm not sold on the whole Bella-Edward thing being so perfect and predestined. A big theme throughout this saga seems to be "love" and what what love truly means. Both of Bella's suitors have really strong points but, again, which one is best suited for her? I can't really give you a rational explanation but it seems that in the long run Bella and Jacob would probably have a more fulfilling life together. Am I crazy or do other people feel this way too?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Paul- dont you think that Edward thinks he is love with Bella and says he'll still feel that way after the "change" but in actuality she has a hold over him because of her blood/scent and he has a hold over her because of a physical reaction from human to vampire?
What do they DO together anyway besides argue over the future?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

joy:
Exactly! What kind of relationship is that! When Bella is with Jacob it just seems so natural and relaxed and potentially powerfully romantic. Her time spent with Edward is always intense and stressful... There was a passage in Eclipse where Bella's relationship with Edward was compared to a drug and her relationship with Jacob was compared to the sun and the air. Jacob calls her his "personal sun," which I thought was very romantic – and then follows that with the cool title reference: "My personal sun. You balanced out the clouds nicely for me... The clouds I can handle. But I can't fight an eclipse."

That's why I asked the question earlier about the definition of love. Both suitors believe that that love Bella – and they do – and she believes she loves them both but what she thinks is "love" is very different when it comes to the two of them. It will be very interesting where Meyer goes in the fourth volume, tentatively called Breaking Dawn.

Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Oh gosh, Paul! now that I am reading this maybe you're right! Jacob may be in reality better suited for her! I think in some way Edward senses it too. Which love is in the end longer lasting? Why DOES she allow Jacob to a) give her gifts and b) do daring things with her when she flips out if Edward drives the car too fast and is uncomfortable when he gives her presents? Does she feel more on an equal level with Jacob? Isn't that essentially healthier?
Also, on a completely different note, why is she so totally irresistable to anyone with a Y chromosome??? Is she more beautiful than she thinks she is? Does she give off an aura of vulnerability that makes men want to take care of her and protect her? In reading this you think there must be more to her than she describes about herself and somehow she needs to realize this for herself.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Joy:
That's the genius of Meyer's love triangle – in my humble opinion – the realism of the relationships. Although it's obviously a fantasy, the reality of it all is that sometimes the two people meant to be together, don't end up together. If you asked every married couple in the world whether they've found their true soul mate, how many would truthfully say "yes"? I'd guess a relatively low percentage. People marry for different reasons, it's not always primarily about true love – I know this probably sounds cynical... Bella has a very difficult decision ahead of her, especially with two guys who obviously adore her. But like you said Joy, which one is best for her? And will she make the right decision?

Paul
Contributor
NatureBuff595
0 Kudos

I believe that Bella should be with Jacob. Though eventually both Bella and Jacob die, I think that if Edward changes Bella her "scent" will change and he won't be so crazy about her anymore(though maybe her new scent will make him even more crazy about her). But Jacob will always love her the same as he does now(except if she turns into a vampire). If that sounds stupid you can tell me it does.
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Tatiana- I really agree with you that I am so worried that when Bella's scent changes, so will Edward's love! And if/when she's a vampire, will his hold over her be as great? Would she realize that she'd be better off with Jacob? Doesn't he love her more for who she is and not how she smells?
New User
Grace_in_Chaos
0 Kudos

Personally, I think that Bella should end up with Edward. Jacob really does seem to love her, and she him, but I don't think that it's enough. Bella and Edward just seem right for each other. Of course, they don't have the perfect relationship, but is there really such a thing as that?

And what about imprinting? I think that it's fairly certain that Jacob did not imprint with Bella, so that means that there's most likely someone out there that Jacob's "meant to be with".

Of course, I can't help but feel sorry for poor Jacob. He really doesn't deserve any of this.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Grace:
In the next novel Breaking Dawn, Jacob could very well imprint on a new character and live happily ever after. I wouldn't feel sorry for him though – that old cliche is so true: everything happens for a reason...
Paul
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

I too feel sorry for Jacob- he really deserves better than all of this! And wouldn't it be great if Bella could feel a little of the rivalry that the many men in her lives have been feeling?
But nobody has answered my irresistable question- what is it about Bella that makes all these guys fall off their feet for her?
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

I agree with just about what everyone has said! All these things to think about...

I bet that Edward and Bella do love each other--and they have many similar interests...BUT we just haven't been able to see then interact as a couple/friends as much as we did when Jacob and Bella were hanging out in New Moon.

We know that both Edward and Bella love music and books....but we never really got a chance to read about their relationship before Jasper tried to eat Bella--there was a period when they were as happy as they could be (at that point in their relationship). I think that they could be together--even if her scent DOES change.

That being said...I adore Jacob. :]

To answer why the guys love her...

1. The normal guys at school: I think Meyers explained why the "normal" people like her so much in an interview. In Phoenix where the standards of beauty were higher, Bella was only a "5"...but when she went to the small town of Forks, her ranking went up to at least an "8". Personally, I also think that she is prettier and more interesting than she thinks--she's just hard on herself like most of us are. She's smart, pretty, has a lot of interesting hobbies, etc. It would be easy for the normal guys at Forks to ogle her--she's the new pretty girl. Since most of the people at Forks grew up together, the draw of the new girl is pretty strong.

2. Jacob: This one's pretty easy. He had a crush on her, she's pretty, and she's nice to him. The crush evolved into something more after they spent almost everyday together for months--they became the best of friends...and his crush grew even more. Needless to say, he loves her and is in love with her at the same time.

3. Edward: Surprisingly, his answer came not from him, but from Rosalie. Remember the main reason why Rosalie didn't like Bella? The one person who didn't care about Rosalie's beauty was Edward... Therefore, we know his criteria isn't just beauty--it's other things, things he can only get from Bella. Sure, she's pretty (even if she doesn't think so), but she also:
-Isn't like everyone else--she thinks differently than everyone else
-They have similar tastes in music (which surprises him since she's so young)
-She's not superficial (think Rosalie)
-She loves to read--so does he
-She's brave
-She's not immature--aka, she's very mature for her age (because she's had to take care of her mother)
-She doesn't just think about herself

Etc etc. She's the only person that is actually interesting to him--and after a century of being bored, he's finally found someone that complements him.

Wow. Sorry for writing a novel. :]
New User
Grace_in_Chaos
0 Kudos

Wow extinah, that's quite the analysis. I agree with what you said, though. Bella's very hard on herself, and doesn't see that she's really not as average as she thinks that she is.

Personally, I think that there's something special about Bella and Edward's relationship. They seem to have a certain something that hints that they could really make it forever. And of course, we really didn't see the whole summer after Twilight when they were both happy and normal (as normal as they can get).

I do hope that Jacob imprints on someone in Breaking Dawn. I'd like it to be a character really worthy of him, so then I can finally stop feeling like he's always the one who's getting kicked.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

"And of course, we really didn't see the whole summer after Twilight when they were both happy and normal (as normal as they can get).

I do hope that Jacob imprints on someone in Breaking Dawn. I'd like it to be a character really worthy of him, so then I can finally stop feeling like he's always the one who's getting kicked. "

Yes yes yes! I keep trying to say that, too. :] THey were able to spend a few months together, completely happy until the Jasper incident. We didn't get the luxury to read about it, that's all.

I know that Bella and Edward should be together....but I love Jacob too much to be satisfied with just leaving him "hanging."
He's such a good guy...wouldn't mind having a Jacob in my life (don't tell my boyfriend, of course). Heck, I'd settle for an Edward. :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Wow Ex- that was amazing- your ideas were right on the ball!! After rereading a lot of Twilight, I have to admit that you're totally right- I feel like Edward found in Bella a real soul mate- for whom he was waiting for 100 years (or so). He was never able to confide so many things to anyone before * vampire or human* and she was so very non judgemental about the whole thing. Can you imagine telling Jessica that you're a vampire??? I think that after the whole leaving thing in Book 2 the nature of their relationship changed and book 3 doesn't delve into how well they got along, really, cuz they keep fighting over the same nonsense the whole book. But he is so chivalrous and kind about her relationship with Jacob, it's hard not to vote for him as "the guy"!
I know it's nuts,but I am still rooting for an Edward/Bella baby in book 4.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Omg!

A baby! I know it can't happen (sigh) but it's fun to think about! Stephenie said that they can't have children because Edward's, eh...there is none of "that" left in him (how's that for being evasive?!).

BUT maybe since no vampire has ever done this before. . .

I know, their great relationship has been shafted because it wasn't written about. Drat! We just have to use our imaginations now. . . :smileyvery-happy:
New User
Grace_in_Chaos
0 Kudos

A baby would be really interesting, but I don't really see that happening. You never know though... :smileyhappy:

I hope that we get to see more of Bella and Edward's relationship in Breaking Dawn. It seems like Eclipse focused a lot on the Jacob issue, and that's understandable I guess. A lot had to be figured out there. When you really think about it though, the title "Breaking Dawn" signals that the book should have an all-over happy mood, don't you guys think?
Contributor
Sephyra
0 Kudos

My guess is that it is Meyer's intention to have us thinking dawn, sun, Jacob is Bella's personal sun - maybe she'll end up with Jacob. My theory is that dawn is the start of her new life as a vampire and I think someone posted about the working cover for BD being a young woman with red eyes, so I'm sticking with that :smileyhappy: There has to be some major plot twist though I think, I'm prepared for some surprises.
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Is "Breaking Dawn" the last in the series? It'll be so sad to let the series go...

About happy endings- what would be a happy ending for all of them???

I know that it doesn't make sense for Bella to stay human and age and then she can't stay with Edward forever, but for some reason I think much of their passion is fueled by their differences and would hate to see that go, too!

I am still not convinced a baby is impossible-has anyone tried a combo baby before?

Is Jacob related to Leah? Could they imprint on each other? the epilogue hinted that there may land up being more to the story - and I think Bella would be happy for them.