Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: Cover Story

How do you think the cover image of Eclipse relates to the novel?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

New User
ronxdraco
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Cover Story

Perhaps it represents the fine line between Bella's humanity and her life with Edward breaking, meaning pick him or life...or Jacob
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Ronxdraco:
My initial impression was similar. I thought the fraying red ribbon symbolized a few things, namely Bella's looming break from her own humanity; the red symbolizing blood, life, warm-blooded existence, etc. Also, I thought it was a pretty powerful symbol for relationships once strong and once beautiful now coming to an end.

Additionally, I have to say this – isn't it refreshing to read a novel that doesn't have such a formulaic cover? I read a ton of fantasy every year and I can't tell you how many covers look almost exactly the same. It's the same with sf and romance. I thought that this cover – and the covers to the first two novels in Meyer's Twilight saga – were exceptional. I love it when it's left up to the reader to come up with his or her own conceptions. And here's something else that has always rubbed me the wrong way – characters on covers. I think in some cases it's nice when characters aren't on covers because when you read a book, you get a specific image in your mind of how a character looks and sometimes the cover art is completely different than what've you've envisioned. Does anyone else have this problem or should I seek out counseling?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
Kristi_McFadden
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
Additionally, I have to say this â  isn't it refreshing to read a novel that doesn't have such a formulaic cover? I read a ton of fantasy every year and I can't tell you how many covers look almost exactly the same. It's the same with sf and romance. I thought that this cover â  and the covers to the first two novels in Meyer's Twilight saga â  were exceptional. I love it when it's left up to the reader to come up with his or her own conceptions. And here's something else that has always rubbed me the wrong way â  characters on covers. I think in some cases it's nice when characters aren't on covers because when you read a book, you get a specific image in your mind of how a character looks and sometimes the cover art is completely different than what've you've envisioned. Does anyone else have this problem or should I seek out counseling?
Paul

I have to agree with you Paul. I hvisiony own 'vison' of all the characters and I've LOVED not having illustrations to counter my own feelings. I know there is discussion of a movie (I think MTV maybe?) for the first book. I'm all for the movie because I would love to see the addiction of the books perpetuated onto the screen but of course I have yet to see a movie that really does justice to the book. It would be neat to see WHO is picked to portray the characters and if they meet close to the conjured images I've made for them... there've been a few movies that have done a fantastic job with their casting and make-up, etc... but who knows how it would turn out. I'm a bit torn on the thought simply because I'd like to leave the images in my mind untouched but as I said, I'm all for furthering the addiction HA!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Here's an interesting question for everyone – if you were the casting director for the Twilight movies, is there any famous actors out there that you can envision casting as Bella, Edward and Jacob?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

Is Ryan Gosling too old to play Edward?
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

how about Zach Efron for Edward? Too "cute"? Do we think Shaia LeBouf for Jacob? Not cool enough? Amanda Bynes would be a cute Bella.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I kind of hope the three main roles aren't filled by super famous actors – sometimes that ruins it, especially if the movie is based on a really popular novel. Example: Tom Cruise in Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire. Miscasting would ruin a Twilight movie – imagine, say, Brittney Spears as Bella...
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Oh I totally agree with you about Tom Cruise, but I think that may be because he wasn't believable in the character. Brad Pitt didn't bother me in his role. [But then again, he rarely does :-)]I think that if Zach Efron can play someone more serious, than he could pull off Edward based on his looks...
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

Oh, I agree that Zach Efron would be great as Edward. He may even have the time to do the movie. There is a rumour he and Vanessa Hodges may not be back for HSM3 unless they get more $$$.
New User
amoredward
0 Kudos

Okay, so I am going to put my opinion on the cover out there.

I love the cover of Eclipse. It is actually my favorite cover in the series so far. I see it as symbolizing this: Before Eclipse, Bella thought that she could easily become a vampire, and leaving behind the human world without any "consequences". But now that she realizes that she is in love with Jacob, she sees that leaving the "human world" can't be such a "clean cut".
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Great interpretation, amoredward – and I agree with you that this cover is the best. It's so good because the symbol is so simple yet so open to different interpretations... I'm curious to see what the cover of Breaking Dawn looks like.
Paul
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Ok back to the movie topic- I picture Bella as a very young Liv Tyler- the white skin, red lips, etc...who agrees?