Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: Love and Humanity

Do you think Bella and Edward’s love would be stronger, weaker, or the same if they were both human?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

New User
jessikrissy
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Love and Humanity

That is intersting.
Personally, i think that it wouldnt be as strong.
He is drawn to her, or to say her blood sings to him.
if it had not, i dont think he would have looked twice at the new girl in school. also since Edward cant read her mind, which is a gift he has by being a vampire, is also another part of her appeal.
For Bella she is drawn to him because he is so beautiful.
Which is another gift of being a vampire. and he is strong and can protect her.
i know their love is alot more than that.. its just the aspect of the question i am answering.
i loved this series and i cant wait for the fourth.
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

I completely agree with you; but the question is if she becomes a vampire, does that level the playing field, so to say, and then they won't be as in love or is it a lasting sort of love? We never know the real reasons we are initially attracted to who we land up with but the end result is the real question...
New User
jessikrissy
0 Kudos

Exactly. For me, i hope that Edward and Bella end up tpgether...even though i did root for Jacob the whole time.
i just hope since she made the decision and went with Edward, that their love isnt dwindled when she is changed.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

In a word: ditto!
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
xoxo41487
0 Kudos

ummm.....if you read Eclipse you would have seen that Edward got over Bella's scent of blood. So the love he feels for her is still just as strong..if not stronger. So the blood is no longer a factor.
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

He didn't get over it as much as he got used to it- he is still very drawn to her scent.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Yep--he's still very much attracted to her scent--he keeps comparing smelling her scent as an alcoholic smelling the bouquet (scent) of a glass of wine.

I don't think their love will dwindle, just change. SHe may lose some of the parts that Edward loves, and she may lose some of her "awe" of his perfection, but they will love the new things about each other.

Love grows and changes, no matter who you are.
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Is it at all possible to maintain that kind of passion for eternity???
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

That's the thing--ramances and stuff set a high standard because we think it's the "passion" that holds people together...when in reality, what holds people together in real life isn't passion but companionship and genuine love (we won't get into the money discussion hehe). I'm sure there will be passion, it just won't be the same as the "honeymoon" stage. (if we're trying to be realistic here)

I think they have a ton in common, care immensely for each other, and should be able to love each other forever. Look at Esme and Carlisle. Or any of the other couples. :]
Contributor
barefoot_countess
0 Kudos

I couldn't agree more. Real life love is about being best friends, companions, and being faithful to each other, even when things get tough. The passion is always there, but it changes. It goes from being a bonfire to being coals--not nearly as big and bright, but still there and still part of things, just not the main focus it is in the "honeymoon" stage, as Extinah put it. :smileyhappy: The expectation for it to always be that way is what gets people into trouble. Silly people... :smileywink:
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Barefoot Countess:
I agree with everything that you and X have said. That's exactly why I think Bella and Jacob ultimately make a better couple.
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
ktgirl106
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Bella and Jacob might have worked out in the begining. Jacob has kind of been forcing himself onto her, though, what with the huge kiss and all that. Sure he'd be healthier for her NOW. But she's set on becoming a Cullen. Plus, what happens if Bella and Jacob do by some miracle end up togehter and then along comes some girl Jacob imprints on and Bella is left with nobody? Now you're thinking... "Well, Jacob really loves her, she's all her thinks about" Okay, well. Look at Sam and Leah. Leah was pretty much his "bella" (I can't explain this right) and then he meets Emily. What happens when Jacob meets this girl? Whats bella gonna do?

Message Edited by ktgirl106 on 09-08-2007 11:26 AM
New User
hermioneroxs
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Interesting question. Probably the same, since its the inside that counts!
Jacon will leave Bella once he gets an imprint. Jacobs just too immature and kind of selfish for Bella. He kept on forcing himself on her, and trying to make her question her love for Edward
Wait a second, are you saying Bella and Edward don't have passion?

Message Edited by hermioneroxs on 10-19-2007 10:30 PM
There will always be a reserved place in my heart where Harry Potter will rest forever. You will not be forgotten.
Edward Cullen is my fictional husband.
Contributor
Shroomy
0 Kudos

HMMMM,wow i honestly think that it would not be the same.Edward has been waithing for a girl like her for a long time,if he were human and still suffering from the desese,Bella wouldnt think twice,I just dont think it would be the same if edward was human.