Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: Vampires with a Past

Why do you think Stephenie Meyer thinks it’s important to introduce each of the vampires’ back stories? What effect does sharing Rosalie’s back story have on Bella? And on readers?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Vampires with a Past

I LOVED seeing Rosalie's past! And I think it's very important to see everyone's pasts and how they came to be as well as where they were headed if they hadn't become vampires...It adds so much dimension to her character...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Amanda_R and joyd:
That was actually one of the coolest things about Eclipse – the back-stories of not only Rosalie but also Jasper and the entire werewolf clan in Forks. The back-stories not only gave readers an intimate glimpse into the histories of both factions but also a glimpse into Bella's life if she does choose to become a vampire. And while this isn't ecactly a back-story, the character of Bree, for me, was one of the most powerful symbols of what Bella's future could be.

The back-stories in Eclipse, and back-stories in general, really add multiple layers to a novel's narrative and give the storyline added complexity and depth. Imagine what Eclipse would've been like without the stories conmcerning Rosalie, Jasper and the history of the werewolf clan.

Also – and this may not be the least bit significant – I've seen authors who, after finishing a particularly popular saga, revisit the realm with a focus on peripheral characters from the previous series (Orson Scott Card's Ender saga, for example). It could be really cool if Meyer did this with some of the characters from this series. If – and that's a big if – Jacob ends up alone, I'd love to follow his future... How about you guys, does this sound intriguing?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
Kristi_McFadden
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm just finally getting into these responses... I couldn't come to the boards because I had to read and re-read (multiple times) all 3 books. I'm absolutely hooked!

Paulgoatallen-
I've actually heard it mentioned somewhere, can't remember if it was a blog or something, that Stephenie had mentioned she wants to tell the story of Bella and Edward inside and out from each of the characters viewpoints... I've had a discussion with a couple other people who've become addicted (like myself) to this series and we were enthralled with that idea. Not just to learn of their past but also of what happens to their future....

I'd love also to see Jacob's but of course I'm more interested first to find out what happens to Edward, Bella and the Cullens.... it is really interesting how easy it is to become engulfed in these books. I LOVE THEM!

I think that bringing in each of the pasts from the various sides has really brought more depth and dimension to the characters... I'd still like to see more, in depth, about each of them but I don't know if Stephenie will go that far... I know she's worked on Edwards side of book 1 and the first chapter is available at her blog to read... and WOW, I just loved that.

Anyhow, I hope to see these books soar. I'm absolutely hooked and wish that the next book was already out.... but I'll be patient and while I wait I'm going to try to get the rest of my friends hooked as well on this series.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Kristi:
Yeah, it's going to be interesting where Meter takes everything in Book Four, which I herd will be called Breaking Dawn and will tentatively be realeased in the fall of 2008. I heard her in an interview say that this fourth book will wrap up Bella's storyline so I'm really excited to see how it all turns out!

She has also said, though, that this may not be the end to stories in the Twilight universe so hopefully we'll hear more from other characters...
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
miax
0 Kudos

I loved reading about the vampire familie's history. She probably wanted to let us know about their past because when the characters open up to Bella like that it makes the idea of Bella being apart of the vampire family more realistic. It makes it kind of like "Hey! We accept Bella into our Cullen family now." And it put more pressure on Bella to say goodbye to her loved ones and become a true Cullen, because now they accept her like she accepted them.
Frequent Contributor
LoveRae
0 Kudos

I think it is important to introduce the vampires back stories for several reasons. First and foremost, as most of you have already mentioned, the backstories give us a glimpse into their early days as vampires and how they came to be. Most of the Cullen clan weren't awarded a choice and now live with the consequence (although for some it is more of a consequence than others ex. Rosalie). I also think it is important because it contradicts Bella's choice. Bella is choosing to become a vampire from her own free will. She is giving up her human life freely. All of the other vampires in the Cullen clan did not have that choice and some resent the fact that Bella can choose their lifestyle so easily. Their stories about their pasts give her a reason to rethink her decision. To put her decision into perspective. She sees what becoming a vampire has done to each of them. None of them would have chosen this way of life if presented with the opportunity but for some reason (aka Edward) she does. I think that confuses a lot of them.