Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: What Makes a Monster?

[ Edited ]
Chapter 23 is called “Monster.” What’s your definition of a monster?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 08-10-2007 12:09 PM

Contributor
NatureBuff595
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: What Makes a Monster?

I believe that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Though one may be hideous and scary, that does not mean they are a monster. One may be hideous and scary on the outside, but that does not mean that they are the same inside, they could be kind and gentle. Say for instance in the book, vampires are inhumanly beautiful, but they could be evil and cruel on the inside despite their unimaginable beauty(not that all of them are). Even though Jacob and his pack may look scary on the outside, inside they are honest and true. You should give people a chance before you write them off as mean and insensitive just because their bigger then you or look mean, because if you do your the one who is being mean and insensitive not to mention cruel.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Tatiana:
Exactly – the monsters in this saga aren't necessarily vampires and werewolve but evil people, plain and simple. I think that's a huge theme throughout – age, race, sexual orientation, religion, economic class, human or nonhuman – none of that should matter. Everyone ideally deserves to be judged by their own actions and nothing more. Bella doesn't care if Jacob is a werewolf or Edward is a vampire and her complete lack of prejudice is something to be commended. (I'm getting off my soapbox now...)
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
amoredward
0 Kudos

I will just put this question out there for anyone who wishes to consider.

Who in Eclipse acted most like a monster? Bella, Jacob, or Edward.

Bella- With kissing Jacob, and some thinking that she is constantly "toying" with Edward and Jacob's feelings.

Edward- In the beginning of Eclipse, he seemed quite controlling. Taking the battery out of Bella's truck when she wanted to go see Jake.

Jake- He was actually laughing after Bella punches him (after he kisses her against her will)

So who would be the real monster in this novel?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Amoredward:
I don't think any of them are monsters – I think Stephenie was doing some subtle social commentary here. Just because society deems something "monstrous" – vampires, werewolves, etc. – it doesn't necessarily mean it's true. The real monsters in Eclipse are Victoria and her cadre – and even they can be given some leeway because they didn't ask to become vamps, it was forced upon them. I like to think that one of the overriding themes is about judging people for what is inside them, not by outward appearance.
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
xcgirl
0 Kudos

hmm I would say a monster is someone or something that has no control over its body, its "wants", it has no feelings, no emotion or sympathy for other, and it must have a sense of evil in it! I believe Victoria was in that chapter, so I think that was a good title for the chapter!
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

I'd disagree--at leasst in my opinion. :smileywink:

I don't think it's about control. Personally, monsters are those who *intentionally* hurt people for the sole purpose of hurting them (not self defense, etc). Whether they are malicious or indifferent, it doesn't matter.

Those that do not have control--is it their fault? Their intent isn't clear because they aren't rationally thinking about it.

In this case, I don't think the werewolves of the Cullen family are monsters, even though they view themselves as such. Most of their intentions are good and they are all basically good inside, "monster" or not.

I agree--Victoria was definitely a monster--but I feel a little pity for her. She definitely was a bad person to begin with (with malicious intent on hurting them while James as still around), but now she just wants revenge on those who killed her mate.

Think of it this way: if someone killed Bella, I'm sure Edward (or Jacob for that matter) would kill that person. I guess that makes them a justified monster for that instance? Hehe.