Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

 If you like Stephenie Meyer, you'll love Tara Bray Smith! 

[ Edited ]
Hey everyone,
I know school has started and everyone's free time for reading is dwindling now but I wanted to let you know that I just read a great debut young adult novel called Betwixt by Tara Bray Smith and it is so comparable to Meyer's Twilight saga in so many ways – fantastic characterization, a major paranormal element and an almost dreamlike writing style that will force you to continue reading until the wee hours of the morning.

Without giving anything away, it's about three very different Portland teenagers during a party-filled summer and the revelation they all receive during a secret rave deep in the wilderness around Mount Hood. There are no vampires or werewolves in this story but there are plenty of fey!

The book officially comes out on October 1st but for those who will be waiting months and months for Meyer's fourth novel, BUY THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW! If you like the Meyer's novels, you'll love Betwixt!
Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780316060332&itm=1

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 09-11-2007 05:14 PM

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 09-11-2007 05:14 PM

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 09-11-2007 05:15 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Re:  If you like Stephenie Meyer, you'll love Tara Bray Smith! 

How exciting! I love fey. :] Have you read the book yet (even though it didn't come out yet...)?

Raves, eh? Hopefully the older teens are reading this book...?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Xtinah:
Yes, I just finished reading and it was really really good! It had all of the drama of the Meyer saga but also had a really cool backstory regarding the world of fey. Honestly, I liked this better than the Twilight saga – and it's the beginning of a new series so I couldn't be more excited!
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
NicholbyCat
0 Kudos

Paul -
WOW that's a recommendation. I'll be looking to buy that for our library and then read it myself. Thanks for the insight!

-anne
A good book is the best of friends. -Old English Proverb
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Glad you're liking it! So better than the Twilight series, eh?! :]

Good for us older people too? Appeals to both the YA and adults?

I have a ton of books to buy now....no wonder why i'm always broke. :smileywink:
Contributor
Iwant2read
0 Kudos

I'm am so excited about this new book, right up my ally from the sounds of it. :smileyhappy:
I got a black light poster of the cover and it made me want to read it, lol.
~I'll be your Bella if you'll be my Edward~
(aka...hopeless romantic)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Iwant2:
The cover is pretty cool, where'd you hook up with a poster? I want one! One of the things I loved about Betwixt is that Smith was so brilliantly subtle at using symbolism and extended metaphors regarding butterflies, moths, crows, etc. throughout. Very cool – almost like reading dark poetry.

And Xtinah, yes, it's categorized as YA but like the Twilight saga, it's also an "adult" read. In fact Betwixt is a little more worldly than Meyer's realm – there's a peripheral theme concerning drug use and the three protagonists are much more realistically portrayed than Bella, Edward, etc.

I know sometimes book recommendations aren't worth a damn but I'm telling you – I read a ton of sf/f and YA fiction for my book reviewing gigs and Betwixt really stands out as an exceptional book. I just hope it gets its due because it really was a great read.

Paul
Contributor
Iwant2read
0 Kudos

Hey Paul. :smileyhappy:
I actually got the poster from winning a "Team Edward" shirt online. /: I'm sorry. You might be able to find one on e-bay though. How did you get the book early, part of your job? Lucky. xP
~I'll be your Bella if you'll be my Edward~
(aka...hopeless romantic)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I haven't told anyone today how much I loved Tara Bray Smith's Betwixt so I feel the need to post it one more time – I LOVED THIS BOOK!

Paul
Contributor
blondeybabey
0 Kudos

What's fey?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Blondie:
Fey has a few different meanings (below) but in the context of fantasy, fey usually refers to fairies or fairy folk. I've read series where fey is used to describe elvish races, evil humanoids, etc. so it's a pretty broad term but whenever I see the word fey, I usually visualize someone with magical abilities. Hope this helps!
Paul

1.a. Having or displaying an otherworldly, magical, or fairylike aspect or quality: "She's got that fey look as though she's had breakfast with a leprechaun" Dorothy Burnham.
b. Having visionary power; clairvoyant.
c. Appearing touched or crazy, as if under a spell.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

I was trying to find this book in the book store....but coudln't rmember the author or the title of the book! drat! i need to keep a list of books i want to buy with me (also some reccommendations from the paranormal forum. hehe).
Frequent Contributor
katull
0 Kudos

I love books about fey (and vampires of course), has anyone read Tithe by Holly Black?
"Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly."