Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourselves

[ Edited ]
Hi There, Eclipse Readers!

To help us all get to know each other as we discuss Stephenie Meyer's fantastic new novel, feel free to post a "hello" in this area, and tell us a bit about yourself!

Are you a rabid (sorry) Stephenie Meyer fan, or is this Eclipse your first foray? What drew you to our discussion? Who are some of your other favorite writers in this genre?

Do tell...

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 08-09-2007 01:57 PM

New User
Kristi_McFadden
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Hi! I guess people aren't for the introductions but I'll add one :smileyhappy:

I'm an avid reader. I don't usually read this type of story but for some reason a friend of mine was persistent enough that I decided to open the first book, "Twilight" .... By chapter 4 I was hooked and couldn't put it down. So I read book one and two right away, then re-read them repeatedly until the new book came out on the 7th. I was first in line at our local B&N to pick up my pre-ordered copy.... I wasn't taking any chances. I read the book strait through with minimal breaks.

Background on me, I'm the Managing Editor for a magazine, I am hobby and craft oriented. I love my kids and husband. Family is top priority for me. Love music, art and writing.I enjoy reading, using as a means to relax and escape into another 'world' of thought and feeling. I do like some fantasies but I also love non-fiction/biographies and histories. I read all around the spectrum but it isn't often that I find an author that really captivates me. Stephenie's books have amazed me.

Anyhow, that's a bit about me. I'll be lurking on the boards and posting my thoughts as time permits :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the forum!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Hi Kristi:

Thanks for the introduction. As moderator for this forum, I was interested who exactly would show up – Eclipse is billed as "young adult" so I didn't know if I'd get a lot of teenagers, adults/parents, or a mix of both. My wife and I just had our first child; I'm a book reviewer and she's a middle school English teacher so I've been trying to review more YA and children's books to get a feel for what is out there so that when our child is old enough to read, I can know what "the good stuff" is.

When you were introduced to this series, did your friend say it was a YA book? I'm curious because, besides the obvious ages of the main characters, the themes could easily be from an "adult" novel.

Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! My name is Joy and when I first read "Twilight" I had no idea it was considered young adult...I am a 30-something mom of 6 kids so I guess I am just young at heart :-)
Bascially, I have never read a vampire book before or even seen an episode of "Buffy", but these books really have me hooked! I think, that in the same way that Harry Potter was about a lot more than magic, the Twilight novels are about so much more than vampires and werewolves!
New User
readercaitlin
0 Kudos

My name is Caitlin. My friend said I just had to read Twilight, so this past summer I tried it. I LOVED it I didn't put it down except for when I had to. I finished on a trip and made my dad stop at Barnes and Nobles to get New Moon. I loved it. My favorite has been Eclipse because I am not sure what is going to happen in Breaking Dawn. I just started eight grade, and read whenever I can!
Contributor
NatureBuff595
0 Kudos

My name is Tatiana and I'm hooked on books in general. I read about everything I can get my hands on and I've almost never been disappointed in what I've chosen. I love books by James Patterson, Anthony Horowitz, Erin Hunter, Angie Sage and Kathryn Lasky but have also enjoyed The Farsala Trilogy by: Hilari Bell. I'm going to the sixth grade this year and in the end what I'm trying to say is, I love books.
New User
kenzie314
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm MacKenzie and I'm 19 years old. I'm a college student and I LOVE these books! I randomly picked up Twilight while I was at Barnes and Noble one day and I couldn't put it down once I started reading it. I've already gotten two of my sisters hooked on this series and I'm working on getting some of my friends hooked. I really cannot wait for more books from Stephenie Meyer!
"boys in books are just better"
Contributor
NatureBuff595
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome to the club MacKenzie!!! My sister got me hooked on this book.

Message Edited by NatureBuff595 on 08-24-2007 01:47 AM
New User
amoredward
0 Kudos

Hi! I am Lisa, and (while I won't define my exact age) I will say that I'm a teenager.

I have read Stephenie Meyer's books since I was introduced to Twilight. It might be apparent from my username that I love Edward, but I do love all the Cullen men. I have been in love with anything Twilight related. I am in school, and get annoyed when required reading gets in the way of what I want to read. But I will give anything a try. I actually prefer fantasy, so this was one of the first present-day novels I had read in a while. ...Maybe I should read them more often!

Can't wait to discuss all things in these books!

~Lisa~
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Welcome everyone! Please feel free to check out any and all threads and ask me any questions if you have them. Enjoy!
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
kraziekatie24
0 Kudos

my cousin told me about it and i saw it in b&n so i picked it up and was in love with the prologue and didn't stop until i was at the epilogue....it was amazing! thanks krista and kara for recomending it....i only just finished twilight and am going to b&n tuesday to pick new moon and eclipse up!

-Kate

Hey Stephen, I could give you fifty reasons why I should be the one you chose. Those other girls, well, they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?

hisgoldeneyesmesmorizedme

book nerd. music freak. movie fanatic.
major obsesser over so many things.

I love to read and write poetry/lyrics and short stories. The layers of music fascinates me. Someday, I want to do movie soundtracks, maybe, or teach. The book to movie transition fascinates me to the extreme. I've been mesmorized by the way Harry Potter and Twilight and so many others have been brought into movies is something I think I would love to do.
Contributor
twig824
0 Kudos

I'm Emma and I'm entering 9th grade and one day when I was on the couch watch good morning america I saw then discussing this book so as I researched it, very interested in reading it I relized that there where 2 more before it so i read Twilight and I had finished it in 3 days without stoping only to sleep and then I read New Moon which took another 3 days to read I couldnt put Twilight or New Moon down. What I was very interested in was that she had found someone so cold and so beautiful and interesting and as my birthday was approching my mom bought Eclipse for my birthday and I cant put that down either so I just keep on re-reading it because its so good.
New User
Bmarrus
0 Kudos

Hey Everyone,
My name's Brett. I'm 20 years old and I love fantasy. I'm a voracious reader and read from fantasy to historical fiction. I had a friend reccomend this series to me and she lent me her copies. I loved them, blowing through the 3 books in 2 days.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Hey everyone!

Is Brett another male reader, besides Paul? :]

I'm 25, from California, and always loved books about vampires and shapeshifters. I really am enjoying the series.

I read Twilight on a review from Amazon, and decided to include it as one of my choices for bookclub--the gals picked Twilight (to my surprise), and the rest is history.

I 3 Jacob! [I adore Edward, too. Don't worry. I'm a Libra. Gotta keeps things balanced! :smileywink:]

I am all over the place with my favorite genres--thriller, mystery, light hearted philosopicle books, marxist theory, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, hisotircal fiction, etc etc. I give everything a try.
New User
Grace_in_Chaos
0 Kudos

Hey everyone!

I first read Twilight a few months after it came out. My friend had received the book as a present, and gave it to me because she thought that I'd like it. Of course, I am addicted to reading so I took it gladly. Needless to say, I loved it. I order the book from Barnes and Noble and read my friend's copy over and over until I received it.

I've loved a lot of books, but nothing has ever compared to how I feel about the Twilight Series. I don't exactly know why, but it has certainly made an impact on me. :smileyhappy:

Anyway, I will be 18 in a couple months, and am a senior in high school currently. I'm very busy with that, but I always like to take time to talk about books, so I guess that's why I joined this!
New User
amoureux-de-livre
0 Kudos

hi!!!!
i love stephanie meyer! i read tons of vampire stuff, but her series is my absolut fav.! i haven't gotten to read # 3 yet tho. :smileysad: i put it on my b-day list and so i can't buy it. just have to wait a few more days tho. :smileyhappy: i'm almost 13, and have read and reread the first two books so many times that my first copy of twighlight is now in two pieces. :smileysad: i bought another copy tho. :smileyhappy: i've started a book club at my middle school for this series. it's doing great. :smileyhappy: but after stephanie meyer, my next fav. vamp. author has to be ellen shreiber.

ttyl,
amoureux de livre
Contributor
Sephyra
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi all,

I'm only a week into the world of the Twilight series, picked up Twilight on my day off last Tuesday and stayed up reading it straight through. I went out the next day and did the same with New Moon, but gave myself a few days off before diving into Eclipse :smileyhappy:

I'm not in the YA category, nor do I have children so I suppose I'm one of the odd ones out when it comes to fans of this series. I haven't even picked a "vampire" book since about the 4th or 5th Anne Rice novel, but I am a fan of fantasy in general. I don't usually post on forums about books but I'm fascinated how taken so many people (including myself of course) are with this series and I suppose I'm curious about all the reasons, so /wave!

Message Edited by Sephyra on 08-28-2007 11:04 AM
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Me too! Well, I mean I'm also amazed how quickly I came to love these books (I only started reading last Thursday and started and fnished Eclipse on Sunday).

I think it's because Stephenie has a wonderful way of letting us get to know the characters. I feel like the characters are my friends.

She also writes about vampires with a new twist--the Volturi, debunking myths about vampires, the story of werewolves, etc. She's so refreshing!
New User
RunsWithVampires
0 Kudos

Hello, my name's Heather, I'm a high school student--so I guess you could say I'm the "intended marketing audience" for the Twilight series. I'm not quite sure when I first picked up Twilight--it was probably about a year and half ago or so. I've found Stephenie Meyer's style unlike anything I've ever read and I read alot. I've been crazy about her books ever since that day over a year ago when I picked up Twilight on a shelf at the library. I've been eagerly anticipating Eclipse ever since I finished New Moon.
New User
solareclipse
0 Kudos

my name is elise, i picked up the book by total accident actually. my friend had heard of this vampire saga and she dragged me to the bookstore. What she got was actually new moon, because she had no clue which was first or second. I explained that to her and read the first one before her. It was one of the best books i have ever red and ive red a lot. Stephenie Meyer is a brillant writer and creater of this vampire love saga. I absolutely love all the characters and cant wait for breaking dawn and her next books.