Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Stephenie Meyer vs. Laurell K. Hamilton

Here's one for everyone – is it me or are there a crazy amount of similarities between Meyer's and LKH's storylines? Bella could so easily be an adolescent Anita Blake. Has anyone else pondered this similarity?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
Angela_K220
0 Kudos

Re: Stephenie Meyer vs. Laurell K. Hamilton

Yes that is the first thought that came into my little head when I read about the storyline. It made me think of Laurell K. Hamilton.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I can not believe more people haven't posted anything on this thread! Am I crazy? The Stephenie Meyer saga could be the prequel to LKH's Anita Blake sequence! The similarities are everywhere! Does no one else see this? Should I seek counseling?
Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 08-22-2007 11:37 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

I would get in except that I'm on the bottom of the hold list for all of Stephanie's books nnd as soon as they get in the used book store they get snatched and I can't afford new so I have to wait. Maybe down the line in the Urban Fantasy board you can ask the question again and I can answer.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, Toni:
I've read all of LKH's books so when I started reading the Meyer series, the comparisons were just everywhere. Not so say that the Twilight saga is derivative but it was really weird to find so many parallels.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

I definitely saw some parallels between LKH and the Twilight series. I think it mainly has to do with them being:

1. Present Day
2. Main characters and heroines (anita and bella) are female and human
3. Their most potent partners are a vampire and werewolf
4. Both heroines don't find themselves to be that spectacular, even though other people think so.
5. Physically similar (brown hair and eyes, pale)

BUT i think they have a completely different writing style (thank goodness). The major difference of course is taht Meyers writes for a YA crowd (that adults can enjoy as well) whereas LKH is mainly for adults--and is a LOT more open sexually.

I love the books--I just started Twilight last Thursday while travelling via plane--and i bought and read both New Moon and Eclipse while travelling. I bought Eclipse on a layover in Denver....and found them selling the book at the airport bookstore. :] I finished Eclipse last night and have been itching for more!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Xtinah:
Yes, yes and yes! Mucho similarities – and yes, their writing styles are completely different. I was just blown away by the relationship parallels: human female, vampire boyfriend, werewolf friend/love interest. Thanks for the post, I feel better now – I thought tons of people would say just what you said but maybe the reading audiences are pretty much separate down the age lines...
Paul
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

...I think so. When I read that Meyers went to BYU...then that was actually a practicing Mormon, I doubt her books will be as...graphic as LKH.

If you watch a few interviews, you'll see many of her readers weren't vampire fans to begin with... I'm sure some have read LKH, but not all of them.

Have you read the Merry series? I love both the Anita Blake and Merry series. :]
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Xtinah:
Yes, I've read all books in both of LKH's series. It's strange because over the years, it's seems as though both storylines – very different at the beginning – are somehow becoming more similar. I guess I can't really explain it but the last few Merry Gentry novels were very much like the Anita Blake novels in tone, pacing, etc. and I'd never really noticed it before...

But, yeah, both series are great!
Paul
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

No--i get what you're saying. :] It definitely started out at a different pace, but with more action/violence and the characters (frost, etc) becoming more open and engaging, no wonder why they seem alike. i love LKH because she develops her characters very well...

...much like Stephenie Meyer. :]
Contributor
jb73
0 Kudos

Ok you guys have peaked my interest.. I like LKH princess Meredith books and now I am going to have to read her vamp books..

Thanks,
Jessica
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Read 'em! I promise you'll like them :]
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Ok, I am so not seeing this- I am reading "The Laughing Corpse" and i don't get it!! Please recommend an LKH that'll be more like a SM...please!!!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Joy:
While the plotlines of both series are similar, the LKH Anita Blake story is like an X-rated version of Meyer's Twilight saga. Similar characters, situations, conflicts, etc. but two very different series in terms of graphic content. I think in my last review of an Anita Blake novel, I'm used the term "sexual acrobatics" if that tells you anything...

I also heard somewhere that making a film version of LKH's Anita Blake novels is impossible because of the mature content.. If the movies followed the books, they would be X-rated for sure. The film versions of Meyer's novels could probably be shown on tv....
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Definitely start witht he first book--it'll make more sense. the stories piggy back on each other.

:]
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Paul: I just thought of another random parallel: They both reference penguins in their books. XD
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

I don't see how they are at all the same- I read "the laughing corpse" and now I am reading "Guilty Pleasures"...and I don't see any similarities besides vampires and a pretty petite main character.

I think of the Twilight series as more of love stories rather than vampire novels and I look at these Anita Blakes as more of murder mysteries with the whole underworld involved.

AB is a MUCH tougher, rough around the edges character than Bella- boardering on vulgar and coarse...and the vampires are what you'd expect - not the multi dimensional Cullens...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Jessica:
It will definitely be entertaining – and eye-opening! LKH's Anita Blake novels really have become THE series that defines paranormal fantasy. At least, to the booksellers I know. Before LKH's Anita Blake novels, hardly any of these types of authors were published in hardcover and print runs were tiny. Now, after the phenomenal success of the Anita Blake novels, dozens of comparable authors – Charlaine Harris, Kim Harrison, etc. – release hardcovers all the time. It's really quite amazing if you think about it. These "paranormal" fantasy books just keep getting more and more popular. Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga is a perfect example. I think because of the success of authors like LKH – and the paranormal subgenre in general – Meyer's potential fanbase for her novels increased tenfold. If you enjoy the Meyer's series, let me tell you – there's a whole new world out there filled with some more great reads....

BarnesandNoble.com just started the Paranormal Book Club (link below) which focuses on the LKH series and so much more...
Paul

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=vpttn
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Xtinah:
Man, you have me stumped! Penguins? What am I forgetting here? Please let me know – it's going to drive me crazy!
Paul
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

LOL! Well, Bella and Edward joke about moving to Antartica ("Ew, penguins?" said Edward...or something to that effect) a couple of times.

Anita has her stuffed penguin doll that she sleeps with...well, until Michal and Nathaniel came on board. hehehe.