Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Chelseajane_12
0 Kudos

This question is killing me.

hi, please dont be mad if there have been a bunch of posts on this topic but, I've hunted all over the web and couldn't find any but anyways..
So I'm really curious about this one part in Eclipse. It says it on pg. 467 towards the bottom of the page. But anyway here it goes..
First, Edward says “Bella has issues with jewlry” (b/c bella woudlnt wear the ring or something) and alice replys with “whats one more diamond? well i guess the ring has lots of diamonds, but my point is hes already got one on…” and then edward cuts her off.
I didn’t understand that part and it only mentions it like once or twice after it was first mentioned here. Idk im just so curious lol. I imagine It will be clarified in the 4th book. But does anyone have any ideas?!
It's driving me insane! lol
what do you think?
thanks for reading:]
Contributor
teexheexheex
0 Kudos

Re: This question is killing me.

yeah i no what you mean. it's been buggin me too..... it could be reffering to the bracelet charm....but it'll probs be something really unexpected. i'm sure it'll be cleared up in Breaking Dawn!!!
Frequent Contributor
Hollie_xxx
0 Kudos

hhmm i just assumed it was the charm on the bracelet wot else cud it be but it wud b koo iv it was something rlly unexpected tho.... i wish someone would trick me in2 wearing diamonds lol :smileytongue: im such a hopeless romantic i wudnt even hesitate if Edward had asked me 2 marry him wort normal person wouldnt?......but Bella basically says herself that her mnd doesnt work the same as every1 elses..clearly.
New User
Chelseajane_12
0 Kudos

Yes, the bracelet does seem like the most logical answer. But I'm still skeptical about that, because it doesn't seem like he would cut Alice off so abruptly like that, as if she was saying something that he didn't want bella to know..because if that was the case than well idk it just wouldn't make sense to me haha idk..oh well.
Thanks for the replys:smileyvery-happy:

Chelsea
New User
Calliecat1988
0 Kudos

Bella hates when edward gives her presents. She explains why on page 413. Edward says " Everyone else can get away with giving you presents, everyone but me..." Bella responds by saying You're more important than everyone else. And you've given me you. That's already more than i deserve, and anything else you give me throws us off balance." We all know Bella is stuborn and there would be no way in hell that she would let Edward give her an expensive present. So the reason Edward interups Alice is because he doesnt want bella to know how much her hand-me-down really cost because she might object to wearing his gift. I mean he gave her a "brillant heart shaped crystal cut into a million facets, so that even in the subdued light shining from the lamp, it sparkled."(pg. 438) Im sure that is worth quite a bit of money. Bella would have never accepted it if she really new how much it was worth.
New User
irisheyz
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure I have the answer to this one. It was on page 475, when Jacob is carrying Bella to the hiding place to camp that he notices the addition to her braclet. He says "A rock. Figures." That's when Bella starts to wonder if the charm is a diamond, thinking that if it is it must be 5 carats... I'm wondering how, if his parents WERE so middle class, they could afford so many jewels...the charm..the ring..what else does he have to hand-down???
New User
xovolleyballxo
0 Kudos

I think its the heart he gave her to put as a representation of him on her bracelet with the wolf Jacob gave her. Bella doesnt realized that it is a diamond i dont think. While Alice does realize it. And Edward wants her to wear the heart so he cut Alice off from telling Bella. Thats what I think
"Edward, I know who I can't live without."
Contributor
twilightgroupie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
i remember feeling like i missed something too. but i think the answer is that when edward gave it to her, she just assumed it was a crystal heart. but then finds out it's a mega diamond. i don't think there's more to it than that... but i could be wrong.

oops - what calliecat said above!!

Message Edited by twilightgroupie on 03-11-2008 05:03 PM
New User
EDWARDisMINE
0 Kudos

wow, you all are rather dumb.

and wrong. edward's family wasn't middle class. it was rosalie's.
Contributor
twilightgroupie
0 Kudos

EDWARDisMINE wrote:
wow, you all are rather dumb.
and wrong. edward's family wasn't middle class. it was rosalie's.

???? would you care to enlighten us then? maybe we aren't dumb, maybe we just forgot the part that explains it to us. So go ahead, tell us!
Frequent Contributor
weirdpanda3
0 Kudos

Calliecat1988 wrote:
Bella hates when edward gives her presents. She explains why on page 413. Edward says " Everyone else can get away with giving you presents, everyone but me..." Bella responds by saying You're more important than everyone else. And you've given me you. That's already more than i deserve, and anything else you give me throws us off balance." We all know Bella is stuborn and there would be no way in hell that she would let Edward give her an expensive present. So the reason Edward interups Alice is because he doesnt want bella to know how much her hand-me-down really cost because she might object to wearing his gift. I mean he gave her a "brillant heart shaped crystal cut into a million facets, so that even in the subdued light shining from the lamp, it sparkled."(pg. 438) Im sure that is worth quite a bit of money. Bella would have never accepted it if she really new how much it was worth.

yes i agree that this is the answer she feels that if he gave her things it would put them more out of balance which is why she doesnt want birthday presents or a new car
Contributor
jane0902
0 Kudos

He already has a diamond on bella. I think edward knew bella would refuse the ring so he gave her the charm so that he could have a permanant reminder of how much their love really meant. Her gave her the charm the same night as the ring.Coincidense... i think not!
Frequent Contributor
Paiger34433
0 Kudos

That was driving me absolutely insane as well. I re-read that part more times than i can count. I couldn't understand it at all. But your idea seems like a reasonable answer. Maybe if my mind wasn't so clouded by everything else that had happened in the book than i would have realized that as a possible answer.
Frequent Contributor
bookgirl205
0 Kudos

I think it is the charm on her bracelet. I think it is a diamond. I think Bella wouldn't have wore it if she knew it was that expensive. It maybe something different. We will have to wait and find out in breaking Dawn!

Book Girl 205:smileyhappy:
Im with the vampires of course.... Bella Swan
Contributor
team-edward
0 Kudos

yeah i think its the charm too b/c when she is thinking about it she considers it and thinks it might be 5 or 6 carats if it was real and then she says "he wouldnt....." but trails off b/c he very well might have but i am only 60% sure and its been buggin me too!
New User
TeamSwitzerland09
0 Kudos

it is the charm because in the chapter before fire and ice Jacob notices the charm and says that he already got a rock on you something like that i dont remember it word for word. but it is the charm
"Isabella Swan?" he looked up through his impossibly long lashes, his golden eyes soft but, somehow, still scorching. "I promise to love you forever ----- every single day of forever. Will you marry me?"
*sigh* EDWARD *sigh*
"does me being half-naked bother you"
*Jacob*