Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Warm and Cold

Why do you think Stephenie Meyer made Jacob so warm and Edward so cold? Does it reflect more than physical? Is it supposed to reflect on who they are inside, too?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Warm and Cold

joyd:
I thought that symbolism was really strong throughout – especially up in the tent during the snowstorm. And yes, I thought that it was a clear comparison between Bella's two suitors – one really warm and one, well, dead. And taking that one step further, the two paths that Bella has to choose from – one a path of lie and the other of living death.

At first, I thought Edward was "cold" inside as well but in this novel, Meyer really brought out the overwhelming power and intensity of his love for Bella and, because of that, a kind of warmth and humanity. Do you agree?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

I think that the hot vs cold isn't about who they are on the inside--it's just symbolic. Edward is more precise, very experienced in life, rigidly perfect, and hard to read. Jacob is easily excitable, wears his emotions on his sleeve (and face, and in his words, etc etc). Poor Edward must've been dying during the tent scene. I was excited. :smileywink:
Contributor
Sephyra
0 Kudos

Meyer was using that symbolism to make Jacob a more appealing alternative for Bella, perhaps? Even though we know Bella's reactions and choices are unusual, in general I think people prefer warmth to cold. Otherwise we'd all be vacationing in Alaska instead of say, Ocean City, MD :smileyhappy: I guess I'm not explaining very well, but I think she used it to put more doubt in our minds about who Bella will end up with.
Contributor
jb73
0 Kudos

I agree with you.. The tent scence really showed to me how much Edward loved Bella.. Although there are may other times such as him leave to keep her safe regardless of his own personal feelings of needs.. I feel that his coldness not only shows that he is one of the living dead but it is also very refined nature.. Were as Jake is heat because he is part animal and that shows in his wild side and due to his up bringing..

Thanks,
Jessica
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Personally, I think Bella herself is the "coldest" of all of them. Edward may look and feel "cool" but he is really warm on the inside, so to say. Kind of reminds me of the tin man in Wizard of Oz who has a heart all along even though he doesn't. And Jacob is ALL heat! But Bella stays cool throughout the series- she has coolish reactions to things that would freak normal people out!
Contributor
Pink4Ever
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Joyd,
What? Are you saying Bella's cool or that she's cold as in mean?

Message Edited by Pink4Ever on 08-31-2007 08:03 PM
New User
0 Kudos

Edward is the moon - cold
And Jacob is the sun - warm

But The sun become eclipsed by the moon.. Edward's love eclipses Jacob's love for Bella.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Pink: She's saying her demeanor is "cool"--even Edward thinks so. When people tell her something outrageous and except her to have a huge reaction, she takes it in, thinks about it, and is "cool" about it. :] That's part of why she thinks differently than other people.

I think that might be one of her "powers" if she were to become a vampire. She's good at closing her mind and thinking about things rationally--or just differently. I bet she'll be immune (or close to it) many vampire tricks.
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Ex- that is what i was talking about...remember in Twilight when she was being attacked by that group of men? She really had a cool demeanor- even Edward couldn't understand how she could act that way.

and later- she was really cool about herself dying as long as her mom would be ok.

and the way she reacted to Edward leaving- she was more stone cold than all angry and fiery...
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Exactly! Haha, i was just re-reading that part last night. Hehe. the attackers in port angeles, with james, with the werewolves thing, finding out about edward being a vampire, her reaction to his family (she didn't mind them being vampire--she was more worried about what they'd think of her), etc etc!
New User
kaydaswiss22
0 Kudos

I am so glad that someone else got the metophor. I thought that I was just crazy... That is what Jacob was talking about when he said that he could out do clouds but not an eclipse. That no matter what he tried to do, the moon (cold) would over power the sun (heat). Which means Edwards love over powered Jacobs...in the end. *Hint-Hint* The title of the book.

Kayla L.A. Bridgman
New User
Lola413
0 Kudos

Why couldn't the cold / hot metaphor work to show the power of Bella's love for Edward and her choice to become a vampire? Doesn't she come to Forks hating the cold and loving the sun? How ironic is it, then, that she chooses exactly the opposite -- the cold / death of Edward over the heat / life of Jacob? Couldn't that serve to show what a life altering experience this has been for her?

BTW - Bella and Edward having a baby would give new meaning to the term "new born," no? ;o)
New User
jmillam
0 Kudos

What an interesting conversation about the hot and cold aspect of the story. I agree with Joy (another one, how funny how there are two Joy's on this book group), that of the three characters Bella is the coldest in the sense that she doesn't have the same attachments to people and events as others do. The fact that she can dispassionately make the decision to move in with her dad is just one example of her coolness. (as mentioned previously by Paul her attack by the men is yet another) Even Edward seems more sentimental than she is-- her ring is one example of that sentimentality.
I probably need to re-read the book -- I think my initial read was more of an inhalation not a thorough reading. I'm sure you all understand how that goes. Unfortunately I don't get a lot of time to do that I'm constantly needing to read more YA books for my booktalks and committee work. I never seem to get back to books I really want to savor.
New User
hermioneroxs
0 Kudos

But Edward isn't cold on the inside, and jacobs not that warm on the inside. I think itwas just the difference between the 2 of them, it signifies something else i believ
However, all shall be revealed in Fall 2008! Thats still a year away. This is waiting for the final harry potter book all over again.
There will always be a reserved place in my heart where Harry Potter will rest forever. You will not be forgotten.
Edward Cullen is my fictional husband.
Contributor
teexheexheex
0 Kudos

omg. i never thought about it that way before!!! moon and sun.....eclipse!!! wow!!! thanks!!! i really honestly never thought of it before!!! that's made my day. xxx
New User
twilight_rox_my_sox
0 Kudos

This also explains the title New Moon because in the second book Edward, the "moon", was gone from the sky as in a new moon.

New User
The-Book-Angel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think that this was a huge thing.  I mean Bella hated Forks at first right?  And why was that?  Because of the rain, and cold.  Bella loved Pheonix.  And why?  Because she loved the warmth.  The difference in temperature in Bella's love interest have to do with her personal prefernces. It shows how much she's changed and matured.  I mean when Edward and Bella first met he was cold towards her.  As he said she was like a demon summoned from his own personal hell.  Jacob on the other hand was comfort.  When she first met him, they hit it off.  Becoming friends easily.  The heat and cold has to do with the intensity of the person. 

I think it has to do with the changes in Bella.  Because the Bella at the beginning of the series loved the heat, while the Bella in Eclipse now finds heat to be overbearing.  Even towards the end of Twilight, when she was running to the ballet studio, she stated how the heat was scorching.  How she missed the leafy atmosphere of Forks.

Message Edited by The-Book-Angel on 03-23-2008 07:50 PM
"Bella would you please stop trying to take your cloths off?"
~Edward

The-Book-Angel
Contributor
angelofmusic96
0 Kudos

Actually, I think that the hot and cold thing is to symbolize how different Jacob and Edward are. Like Edward is a vampire and Jacob is a werewolf. They're exact opposites, so it would make sense for one to be hot and the other cold.

Also Edward is dead, so he is cold because he dosn't have any blood pumping through his veins. And Bella refers to Jacob as "her sun" so it would make sense for him to be hot.
Contributor
jane0902
0 Kudos

I think she made Jacob warm and Edward cold because Bella is in between the two. She is not hot but she is not cold. She loves Edward very much, but she doesn't want to lose Jacob. It all stands for what Jacob has too much of and what Edward has too little of. Bella will remain in between until her heart stops beating. At that point, she will become cold, which then signifies her eternal loyalty and love for Edward. But then she will lose her best friend in return. Warm and Cold really stands for the differences between Edward and Jacob.