Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

What if Stephenie Meyer wrote an "adult" novel?

Here's a question for you: if Stephenie Meyer were to write an "adult" dark fantasy novel a la Anne Rice or Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, do you think that she would find the phenomenal success in that market that she has found with her young adult readers? And why do you feel that way?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Re: What if Stephenie Meyer wrote an "adult" novel?

Well, we're about to find out, when The Host comes out in a few months. It sounds really interesting, and given the popularity of the paranormal genre, she may indeed build upon her audience.

Carol
So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

I think we'd be in for a heck of a ride if she did. :] Twilight wasn't originally intended for a YA audience, it just ended up that way because that's who picked up her book. Too bad we'll never be able to read the other version of her books, before she tried to publish them. She had to change them because they contained more adult themes (although I'm not sure what that means).
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Carol:
I am soo excited about The Host!I'm not too jazzed about the cover art though (link below)... It reminds me too much of that sci-fi movie Species. But hey, you can't judge a book by it's cover, can you? :smileywink:
Paul

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/thehost.html
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Yes, Paul, that is sometimes all too true...

I, too, am looking forward to The Host. I would imagine it will end up getting featured somewhere on this book club site. Gee, I wonder where it would fit... :smileyhappy:

Carol
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Hmmm, well, I suppose I could feature it in the Paranormal forum... What a great idea! :smileywink:
Paul
Frequent Contributor
Baker
0 Kudos

I didn't know she was writing an adult book. Although I'm pretty sure that most of the teens who have read twilight, new moon, and eclipse will buy it. I for one am going to get it. I think I read the third book in about an hour. That is a record even for me. So I have know dought whatsoever that her new book the host will be really good.
Baker
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

That sounds great to me, Paul. I look forward to it. I'd be reading it, anyway, and it would be fun to discuss it with our group.

Carol
New User
thelonegunmenX
0 Kudos

i think that it would be a sucess but i wouldnt like it. Anne rice and laurell k. hamilton are sucessful because of the graphic sex, blood and death. I dont think stephanie meyers is capable of that.
Frequent Contributor
weirdpanda3
0 Kudos

i think she would have alot of sucess because she would get more fans that are older even though not everybody whos read the twilight series is young and all her twilight fans  will get her books
Contributor
book_lover_tnmebdth
0 Kudos

Technically The Host is an adult novel.  I think it's a absolutely amazing!! I suggest it to everyone!!  It's probably considered an adult novel because of length, plot complexity, use of words in dialogue (like the big flamboyant one that no one knows the meaning too), and to have an addition to her already humongous fan base!  Just because it's an adult novel doesn't mean that it is a bad book for us to read.  My friends and I have already read it, and we are 13!!  This is probably just a way for Stephenie's name to get out in other ways besides Twilight to adults.
"Look after my heart, I left it with you."
-Edward Anthony Masen Cullen
Contributor
book_lover_tnmebdth
0 Kudos

Stephenie Meyer is gonna stay true to her style of writing.  I don't think she's gonna write a "dark" or "paranormal" novel.  She has an enoromous fanbase that reads everything that she writes, so it will have a good response, but if it isn't the dynamic and page-turning thing that her other books had, it can be tossed aside.
"Look after my heart, I left it with you."
-Edward Anthony Masen Cullen