paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Wuthering Heights references throughout Eclipse

[ Edited ]
How many readers thought that Stephenie Meyer's references to Emily Bronte's classic novel Wuthering Heights throughout was fascinating and added yet another thematic layer to this storyline?
For example on page 611, Bella quotes from WH: "If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger."
I loved it – especially the comparisons between Edward and Heathcliff. Did these references make anyone want to read (or re-read) this classic?
Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 08-26-2007 06:54 PM

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 08-26-2007 06:55 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

Re: Wuthering Heights references throughout Eclipse

I haven't read WH since 11th grade so I must reread it to remember (or at least read the cliff's notes) but one difference I do recall is that I don't remember liking any of the characters so much in the book; in this book, you are kind of rooting for everyone to succeed. Somehow you want Bella to land up with Edward because the pull is so strong but you also don't want Jacob to lose either! If I recall, in WH you really couldn't stand anyone. But that feeling of absolute obsession is the same. As we have been saying in other threads, is that necessarily a good thing?
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

....especially since (as a sociology b.a.) i've learned that the obsessed infatuous love is unhealthy (the exaple used in class was romeo and juliet.....the same example meyers uses!)

I felt the same way as you, Joy--I remember not really liking any of the chracters of WH...but I also haven't read the book since 11th grade. I do feel like re-reading it though. :]
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Joy and Xtinah: I didn't really feel much love for the characters of WH either but I thought that the references that Stephenie Meyer used in Eclipse were pretty powerful – and yes, that word obsession comes up again. The obsession in WH was pretty overpowering and the same is true with Bella and Edward.

I personally love it when authors weave in literary references to other novels – it gives the story a kind of depth that I like. I've talked to some author people about this topic and they said that since the majority of Meyer's readers are so young – and since no one reads the classics anymore – they won't even understand the references... I hope that's not true.

When you guys hear the name "Heathcliff" you think of that freaking cartoon cat and not the character in Wuthering Heights, don't you?
Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 08-27-2007 08:59 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
joyd
0 Kudos

That's very funny- I also think of Bill Cosby, but that dates me.
Can you recommend a version of the movie I could rent to save time?
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

I also love it when authors weave in literary references. I just hope I can't always catch it. Good thing she makes it pretty clear in the book which novel she's referencing. Hehe.

And yes...I think of that darn organe cat. I also th ink of WH though. :smileyvery-happy: ...although I also refer to him as "The Moor" in my head. haha.
New User
Bella-Cathy_Connection
0 Kudos

I just started thinking about this today, and already I've written nearly 2 pages out about the connections between Heights and the Twilight books. And I'm only part way through Heights! Once I've finished I'll know more connections. I won't post them all, because that would take too long. I'll just say that I think that although it seems at first that Heathcliff is Edward and Edgar is Jacob, I believe that both are both; that is, Edward is part Heathcliff/part Edgar, as is Jacob. (Bella is, of course, Cathy).

As a side note, I think I know what book Breaking Dawn will be loosely based on; here's a hint: it's a famous comedy by a (even the most) famous playwright. But I don't except Breaking Dawn to have such a comic ending, unfortunately.

If you'd like to hear more about my theories and the connections I see between the books, just ask here. :smileyhappy:

New User
Bella-Cathy_Connection
0 Kudos

Oh, and I have the same problem: you don't find many people who have read Eclipse and WH, because the intended audience for Eclipse is teenagers, and very few teenagers want to read WH.

(I'm just special :smileytongue: )

Frequent Contributor
mspotter
0 Kudos

I have also heard that parts are based on A Midnight Summer's Dream...
"Live like you are at the bottom even if you are at the top." -Jonas Brothers