Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

An Introduction to the Reading

Originally written and published by Irma S. Rombauer in 1931, and now in its 9th revision, Joy of Cooking is the classic "friend in the kitchen". Joy is the only cookbook on the New York Public Library's list of Books of the Century, and it remains the unofficial "kitchen bible" for generations of cooks. The depth and breadth of reference material on food, cooking, and ingredients, as well the compendium of recipes it contains makes Joy an indispensable reference in any kitchen.

This 75th Anniversary edition, fully revises Joy of Cooking for the first time since 1975. Containing 4500 recipes, including 500 new recipes, the anniversary edition houses new reference material and recipes on hearth cooking, enlarging recipes and cooking for a crowd, casseroles, slow-cookers, grilling, quick soups, a grain cooking chart, and growing your own micro greens and sprouts. All chapters are fully updated and revised with the return of classic Joy chapters on Game, Cocktails, Canning, Jellies and Preserves, Freezing, Pickles, Frozen Desserts and Brunch, Lunch and Supper Dishes. Recipes and reference material in Joy span the culinary spectrum from scrambling light, fluffy eggs and rolling flaky pastry dough, to roasting a show-stopping crown roast of pork and baking a classic Baked Alaska. The all important reference chapters on Cooking Methods and Techniques and Know Your Ingredients have been reorganized, fully updated, and are easily identifiable by a grey band, keeping this indispensable information at the cook's fingertips. The 75th Anniversary edition of Joy of Cooking is chock-full of essential information and is a must-have for any cook.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

great book

Yay! So the book finally came and I absolutely love it!
From amarant to quinoa to snakes and strudel.
Actually on p.673 there is described exactly how my grandmother used to prepare it but usually only for Christmas because it is quite a lot of work, but the cloth and breadcrumbs and the whole thing.She wasn't from Hungary but the procedure was just the same.
I can't compare with any other edition of Joy but this one is absolutely perfect for me.
I think the drawings are very clear and instructive and I do not miss the photographs at all.

I am really glad I've got the book!
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

the quote at the beginning says:...To receive the full value of joy you must have someone to share it with.
That is very true and double true when it comes to food.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: great book

Great, Ziki, Maggie will be thrilled to hear how much you like the book. Keep us posted as you cook your way through it!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

editing

Maggie mentioned elsewhere that the editing was a challenge. How to decide what to keep and what to take out was probably not easy. But personally I find the balance very satisfying. I find many foods from different cultures and in that respect the book is not just American, it is actually international.

I like that there are many recipes that cover 'everyday cooking' but I can also find inspiration for special occasions. I would probably manage to do a wedding cake with help of this book. Not bad.

And the chapters on game and sea food that I personally do not eat very often are informative.
In my oppinion the team mastered the editing very well.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

wikipedia link about joy

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: radio link

Ziki,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and these links with us!
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 723 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: