Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

mirin

mirin
[MIHR-ihn]
A low-alcohol, sweet, golden wine made from glutinous rice. Essential to the Japanese cook, mirin adds sweetness and flavor to a variety of dishes, sauces and glazes. It's available in all Japanese markets and the gourmet section of some supermarkets. Mirin is also referred to simply as rice wine .
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: mirin

In the new edition, Mirin is discussed on page 1028 under Wine and Spirits in Cooking.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Recipes from Joy of Cooking

Thanks, Maggie, it looks delicious. For those that don't have mirin handy, a sweet white wine or a dry white wine with a pinch of sugar works, though the flavor mirin adds is great.

Also, that poaching liquid can be used for meat or poultry as well (upping the soy sauce a little) and is great with some dried chilis added. Yum! Gotta cook! If you try it share your review here.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

? soy sauce

I wonder can soy sauce(in this recipe and elsewhere) be substituted by Tamari?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: ? soy sauce

Absolutely. Generally speaking, Tamari is soy sauce brewed without the wheat. It has a different flavor and you may find yourself cutting down on it a bit, but it shold work fine! Let us know!
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: ? soy sauce

I agree with Jon. Tamari is a fine substitute for soy sauce. One of Ethan Becker's favorite ingredients is Tamari.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

tamari OK

Thanks, I'll try that. It is my "sans wheat" tweeking of the recipes that forces me to that.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
gwillis01
0 Kudos

What are your or your family's favorite recipes from Joy of Cooking? Which pages are the most splattered and stained? Do you have any notes about certain recipes scribbled in the margins, old newspaper clippings, or family photos tucked away between the pages?

Gooseberry pie and gingerbread cookies, so far. The book is clean. It is an excellent source of basic recipes. Mostly, it is a good source-book.
Gwin Willis
Frequent Contributor
gwillis01
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Gooseberry Pie (this is my favorite homemade pie recipe):

Roll out and line your pie pan with pie dough (prepared and stored in freezer in advance)

Get 4 cups of fresh gooseberries prepared by hulling and removing the stems (or 2.5 cups of canned berries along with a cup of fruit juice). Combine in a small bowl about one cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour, and 1.5 tablespoons of lemon juice. (If you're using canned berries use 1.5 tablespoons of tapioca instead of flour, no lemon juice, and a little less sugar.)

(My mother is also putting in cinnamon and tapioca as well as flour, sugar, and lemon juice with fresh gooseberries that were stored in the deep freeze over several months.)

Drizzle and pour all these mixed ingredients over the gooseberries in a larger bowl and gently stir until well blended. Let stand for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pour all the gooseberry filling into the pie shell. Dot with 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter. cut out strips of extra pie dough to make a lattice crust. Weave the lattice strips in and out of each other on top of the pie. Finally, brush the lattice crust on top with raw, beaten egg. Bake the pie at 450 degrees for 10 minutes; then reduce the oven temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 35 - 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool for a while on the kitchen counter before storing it in tupperware.

Message Edited by gwillis01 on 12-24-200611:37 AM

Gwin Willis
Contributor
Emrys
0 Kudos

Mine, too. No better pancake recipe exists. This book has been a great help to me as a reference on how to cook, conversions, & substitutions, etc. I'm on my second copy. This time I got a spiral bound and love it!! I give the Joy of Cooking as a shower gift for all the brides-to-be I know!!

Skyler97 wrote:
The most well used page in My Copy is the page for making Pancakes. The second most well worn is the page for making biscuits. Both are well splattered with milk, egg, flour, and butter stains from over the years.

My Favorite Recipe is Country Captain, a curry dish which reminds me of a sweeter version of General Tso's Chicken.

My second favorite recipe is for the 10 Boy Curry. Chicken curry served over rice with 10 different toppings such as raisins, pineapple, peanuts, sunflower seeds, chopped onions, coconut, etc. served in bowls and passed around the table.

Message Edited by Skyler97 on 11-21-200605:32 PM

There is no greater entertainment than a good book! ~ Emrys
Contributor
pallavi054
0 Kudos

BookClubEditor wrote:

What are your or your family's favorite recipes from Joy of Cooking? Which pages are the most splattered and stained? Do you have any notes
about certain recipes scribbled in the margins, old newspaper clippings, or family photots tucked away between the pages?

Message Edited by BookClubEditor on 11-15-2006 02:57 PM

Fudge Pie--delicious!
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 921 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: