Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Favorite Recipes from Joy of Cooking

[ Edited ]

What are your or your family's favorite recipes from Joy of Cooking? Which pages are the most splattered and stained? Do you have any notes
about certain recipes scribbled in the margins, old newspaper clippings, or family photots tucked away between the pages?

Message Edited by BookClubEditor on 11-15-2006 02:57 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Flo Braker's Pound Cake (1997 edition of JoC)

Flo Braker's pound cake recipe alone is worth the price of the book, IMO!

BookClubEditor wrote:

What are your or your family's favorite recipes from Joy of Cooking?

Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: Flo Braker's Pound Cake (1997 edition of JoC)

pmath wrote:
Flo Braker's pound cake recipe alone is worth the price of the book, IMO!

BookClubEditor wrote:

What are your or your family's favorite recipes from Joy of Cooking?

Hmm--I don't see it in the new edition. We'll have to ask why it was cut!
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

In a side by side testing, the Pound Cake on page 716 of the 75th Anniversary edition was picked as a better pound cake by our test kitchen. It is a classic JOY recipe. Incidentally, it makes 2 loaf cakes, or one 10 inch tube cake.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Thanks, Maggie--it's great to have this kind of behind-the-scenes insight! Any war stories from the editing process?
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

SPACE is the biggest war story in the editing process. How we condensed 11 feet of manuscript into a 5 pound, 1132 page book. Every sentence had to say something, and we really had to take a close look at the recipes toward the end.

A funny story - Ethan Becker, current co-author of JOY, recalls hearing his mother (Marion Rombauer Becker) and his father talk about SPACE. In his little boy mind he envisioned rocket ships, black holes and meteors. Little did he know...they were talking about the same thing we discussed heavily during the editing of this book. How to fit it all in....
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Question for Maggie: Leavening Agents

Maggie, I prefer Flo Braker's recipe because of its simplicity: there are no leavening agents! Why wasn't a true pound cake recipe included?

MaggieGreen wrote:
In a side by side testing, the Pound Cake on page 716 of the 75th Anniversary edition was picked as a better pound cake by our test kitchen. It is a classic JOY recipe. Incidentally, it makes 2 loaf cakes, or one 10 inch tube cake.

Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Maggie: Leavening Agents

The classic JOY Pound Cake in the Anniversary Edition, page 716, does not contain any leavening agents. The eggs are seperated, but there is not any baking powder nor baking soda. This recipe contains 1 pound of butter, close to 1 pound of sugar, 1 pound of eggs, and 1 pound of flour. That's a true pound cake if I've ever seen one!

If seperating the eggs is too fussy then I would suggest following the directions in the headnote and "add the eggs whole to yield the traditional dense pound cake...".

Good luck!
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

True Pound Cake

Thanks, Maggie: I'm glad to hear it has been restored in the 2006 edition!

MaggieGreen wrote:
The classic JOY Pound Cake in the Anniversary Edition, page 716, does not contain any leavening agents. The eggs are seperated, but there is not any baking powder nor baking soda. This recipe contains 1 pound of butter, close to 1 pound of sugar, 1 pound of eggs, and 1 pound of flour. That's a true pound cake if I've ever seen one!
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: True Pound Cake

I'm glad it has been restored too. That is what this edition was all about - restoring classic JOY recipes and reference material to JOY. You're question was great, and made me look at our two pound cake recipes in a different light. Your passion for this topic is a true JOY to me.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Recipes from Joy of Cooking

I have many favorite recipes in JOY.

Just to name a few I love the Spiced Hot Chocolate, Crisp Spicy Pecans, Hot Chorizo and Cheese Dip, Leek Tart, Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Salmon Chowder, Greek Salad, Corn Pudding, Roasted Asparagus, Pasta and Beans (Pasta E Fagioli), Green Goddess Dressing, No-Knead Refrigerator Rolls, Belgian Beef Stew (Carbonnade Flamande), Chicken Marengo, Cornmeal Waffles, Concord Grape Pie, Butterscotch Brownies or Blondies, and Sachertorte.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Fully Illustrated JoC

Thanks, Maggie: it's a JOY to have you here! Talking of "looking," were photographs taken during the testing process, and are there any plans for an edition with a photograph for every recipe, perhaps on a CD?

MaggieGreen wrote:
You're question was great, and made me look at our two pound cake recipes in a different light. Your passion for this topic is a true JOY to me.
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: Fully Illustrated JoC

Hello again. The simple line art illustrations are traditional for JOY and I don't know of any plans to illustrate the entire book.

To see color photographs of JOY recipes, you might want to take a look at the All About series of JOY books. There were approximately 12 books - All About Chicken, All About Pies and Pastries, etc. Barnes and Noble carries these books.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
Skyler97
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The most well used page in My Copy is the page for making Pancakes. The second most well worn is the page for making biscuits. Both are well splattered with milk, egg, flour, and butter stains from over the years.

My Favorite Recipe is Country Captain, a curry dish which reminds me of a sweeter version of General Tso's Chicken.

My second favorite recipe is for the 10 Boy Curry. Chicken curry served over rice with 10 different toppings such as raisins, pineapple, peanuts, sunflower seeds, chopped onions, coconut, etc. served in bowls and passed around the table.

Message Edited by Skyler97 on 11-21-200605:32 PM

Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Hello - those all all great recipes. I'm curious, though, what edition of JOY you own? Please share. Thanks.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
New User
goodem01
0 Kudos

Mine has to be the Poached Fish in Soy Sauce so far. I forget the original name of the recipe. My husband loves it!
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

goodem01 wrote:
Mine has to be the Poached Fish in Soy Sauce so far. I forget the original name of the recipe. My husband loves it!

Hmm--I didn't see that one in the new edition--hopefully Maggie will chime in. It sounds delicious! And a safe bet for an easy dinner with some rice and a green.
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

In fact, you are correct Jon. "Small Fish, Fillets, or Steaks Poached in Soy Sauce" did not make the cut. It was a space consideration, unfortunately. We have Poached Fish and Fish Steaks Poached in White Wine. If you own the 1997 edition of JOY and want to make the recipe, it's on page 555. Maybe I can post the recipe if you would like?
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

MaggieGreen wrote:
In fact, you are correct Jon. "Small Fish, Fillets, or Steaks Poached in Soy Sauce" did not make the cut. It was a space consideration, unfortunately. We have Poached Fish and Fish Steaks Poached in White Wine. If you own the 1997 edition of JOY and want to make the recipe, it's on page 555. Maybe I can post the recipe if you would like?

That would be great, Maggie, it sounds delicious!
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
It's time for me to post the recipe I promised:

Small Fish, Fillets or Steaks Poached in Soy Sauce

Combine in a large skillet or baking dish with a cover:

2 scallions, minced
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or other mild vinegar

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and lay in a single layer in the liquid:

1 1/2 pounds fish follets or steaks or 4 small fish, rinsed (cod, halibut, mackerel, salmon, butterfish, or any other fish that is not too delicate)

Cover the pan. Cook for 5 minutes for 1/2 inch thick fillets, up to 15 minutes for thick steaks or small whole fish. remove the fish to a platter. It the sauce seems too thin, boil over high heat until slightly thickened.

From the 1997 edition of Joy of Cooking

Message Edited by MaggieGreen on 12-08-200601:12 PM

Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 1,145 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: