Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

JOY to the World--Holiday Recipes

What are your favorite holiday recipes from JOY or elsewhere? Do you see anything in the new JOY that you'll be adding to your holiday menus?
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Gratin Dauphinois & Chocolate-Glazed Caramel Tart

These recipes, from the 1997 edition of JoC, are both very good!

ChefJon wrote:
What are your favorite holiday recipes from JOY or elsewhere?
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: Gratin Dauphinois & Chocolate-Glazed Caramel Tart

Yes, those are good recipes! Both recipes appear in the 75th Anniversary edition as well - with one small change, the "Gratin Dauphinois" is now called "Au Gratin Potatoes". The thought behind the name change, is that the traditional name is more recognizable to most cooks, instead of the French name. Do you make these recipes for a special holiday meal?
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, Maggie, I make these items for dinner on Christmas Eve. A salad, a source of protein and roasted vegetables complete the meal!

MaggieGreen wrote:
Do you make these recipes for a special holiday meal?

Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

That sounds like a wonderful meal! Thanks for sharing with us.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: JOY to the World--Holiday Recipes

Now that we're getting closer to the holidays will anyone share their holiday menus? After hosting Thanksgiving, I'm happy to be a guest at both Hanukkah and Christmas celebrations, though I'll probably make Hanukkah latkes and something for Christmas.
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Our Christmas menu always includes:

Country Ham
Angel Biscuits
Corn Pudding
Steamed Green Beans
Cobb Salad or some other layer or platter salad
Jam Cake with Caramel Icing

and an assortment of homemade cookies and candy

Spritz Cookies
Mexican Wedding Cakes
Bourbon Balls
English Toffee
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Maggie--sounds delicious! What time is dinner?
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Dinner at our Christmas delebration is served buffet style, unlike Thanksgiving which is served sit-down. We eat after our gift giving session, so I'd say that will be around 5:00 EST.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Hi Maggie and the Club,

Just wanted to share my first holiday recipe (post-Thanksgiving) from the new JOY--Jelly Doughnuts for Hanukkah. A great success! Let us know your plans, challenges and successes as you put your holiday menus together. It will be a busy week for many!
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Jon,

I am so glad the jelly doughnuts worked out well. When we were editing the doughnut section, I thought the recipes sounded so good. I think it's surprising how managable making homemade doughnuts can be.

This afternoon, I made the dough for a Gingerbread House out of the new JOY, and plan to bake the pieces tomorrow. I also cut the templates for the house sides, roof and base, so I'm all set to get the dough baked. I have a candy or cookie I am baking each day this week, and then I pack up tins of cookies on Saturday to give as gifts.

It's a busy time of year, but try to slow down to spend some time in the kitchen. The results are always worth the time, in my opinion.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Wow, what an ambitious schedule! Let us know the results!
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

I will - just a few pointers if anyone is going to make a Gingerbread House. You'll need about 3 days - on day #1 you make and chill the dough, day #2 bake the pieces and cool the pieces, and day #3 make the Royal Icing, and assemble and decorate the house.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

food as a gift

Giving food as a gift is a great idea. I also had some success with giving away cokies.
This year I found two such recipes (not in Joy): pears in saffron and white wine and figs marmelade with port wine. I'll share it later if I make it...but put into a nice jar with a little bow and decoration this can pass as a gift that will not clutter any home for long ;-)

Another good one I have for such occasions is a three fruit marmelade (from lemon, orange& grapefruit...very much appreciated by i.e. 'UK folks' or busy people who want to but never find the time to make any homemade stuff.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: food as a gift

Yum, Ziki, can you share your three fruit marmalade recipe with us? Sounds delicious!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

recipe: lemon marmelade in variations

[ Edited ]
OK, here goes....metric...

1kg fruit (ca 2 pounds) and that can be:

6-8oranges
alt.
1-2 lemons
5-6 oranges
alt.
(mine)
1 grapefruit
1 lemon
4-5 oranges

alt.
8 lemons

1l water (ca 1 liquid quart)
2l sugar (1,7 kg) (ca 4,4 pounds)
2-3 teaspoons citric acid

Wash (brushing) the fruit carefully. Cut lemons and oranges in four parts (longwise), grapefruit in eight parts. Then slice (across each part) as thinly as possible. Put fruit and seeds(gathered in a package) in a pot and add water; let it stand for one day (that gives you more taste).You can also cook it immediately if you want.

Cook the fruit for 45 min with lid on until fruit is soft. Strir in sugar and continue cooking for 45 min without lid. Stirr now and then.

Perform a marmelade test: put some marmelade on a cold plate and run a spoon through it, if it doesn't float together it is ready. Remove the seeds. Add citric acid mixed in 1 tea spoon water. If you want the proper Scottish bitter taste you can add 0,5-1 dl whisky. Pour the marmelade into clean jars. Seal.
I usually do not use paraffin because the marmelade is often eaten quickly enough, LOL, but you should seal it if you want to store it.

Do not double the recipe, if you want more, repeat rather the whole procedure from the start.

good luck
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-29-200602:30 AM

Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 223 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: