Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Questions for the Editor

Do you have a question for Maggie Green? Reply to this message to start the conversation.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for the Editor

Maggie, I have a few questions to get the ball rolling:
-Of the thousands of recipes in JOY which are your favorites?
-JOY has been part of our culture for 75 years and everyone has built her or his own unique relationship with the book. The food stains on my mother's copy could tell a future archaeologist what we cooked and ate. How do you balance your own editorial goals with the readership's strong sentiment?
-If you were designing a special occasion menu using recipes from JOY, which would you choose? How about an everyday menu?
-What are some of your favorite cookbooks?
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Thank you for asking such great questions - here are my answers!

Of the thousands of recipes in JOY which are your favorites?

I have many favorite recipes in JOY. Just to name a few I love the Spiced Hot Chocolate, Crisp Spicy Pecans, Hot Chorizo and Cheese Dip, Leek Tart, Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Salmon Chowder, Greek Salad, Corn Pudding, Roasted Asparagus, Pasta and Beans (Pasta E Fagioli), Green Goddess Dressing, No-Knead Refrigerator Rolls, Belgian Beef Stew (Carbonnade Flamande), Chicken Marengo, Cornmeal Waffles, Concord Grape Pie, Butterscotch Brownies or Blondies, and Sachertorte.

JOY has been part of our culture for 75 years and everyone has built her or his own unique relationship with the book. The food stains on my mother's copy could tell a future archaeologist what we cooked and ate. How do you balance your own editorial goals with the readership's strong sentiment?

Balance of editorial goals with the JOY readership’s strong sentiment is one of the most challenging aspects of a JOY revision. Our goal for the 75th Anniversary edition was to fully revise the 1975 Joy of cooking and in doing so restore classic reference material and recipes including, but not limited to, Frozen Desserts, Canning, Preserves, Pickles, Cocktails and the Know Your Ingredients chapter. We hope in that achieving this goal we also have touched JOY users in a positive way, bringing back some of the timeless JOY classics that were missing in the last revision. When I go to book signings, and hear the personal stories of JOY users, I understand how families are touched by this book, and have been over the years. The Joy is like a member of the family, and if we cut a favorite recipe (usually because of space issues) some get very hurt, like we've taken away a member of their family. We always tell our fans, NEVER throw away or get rid of your old edition of JOY. Like the old saying goes, "make new friends, but keep the old..." JOY is truly a friend in the kitchen, and this new edition is no exception.

If you were designing a special occasion menu using recipes from JOY, which would you choose?

Oysters on the Half-Shell with Mignonette Sauce
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Field Salad with Fresh Herbs and Cheese Crisp
Grilled Lamb Chops with Aioli
Braised Radicchio
Tuscan Beans
Individual Molten Chocolate Cakes with Whipped Cream and Raspberry Coulis
or
Lemon Soufflé with Lemon Sabayon

How about an everyday menu?

Green Salad with Vinaigrette
Fettuccine with Salmon and Asparagus
Berry, Cherry or Peach Pie with Frozen Fruit

What are some of your favorite cookbooks?

Marcella Hazen – Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
Elizabeth Schneider - Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini: The Essential Reference
Shirley Corriher – Cookwise- The Secrets of Cooking Revealed
The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
The Garden Club of Lexington - Bluegrass Winners (a nod to my Kentucky upbringing)
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Old and New Friends

What would you do if you had a limited amount of space, and room for only one copy?

MaggieGreen wrote:
We always tell our fans, NEVER throw away or get rid of your old edition of JOY. Like the old saying goes, "make new friends, but keep the old..." JOY is truly a friend in the kitchen, and this new edition is no exception.
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: Old and New Friends

Now this is a tricky question - who doesn't have room for "one more cookbook", especially one more copy of JOY.

Joking aside, I would say the the 1975 and this new 75th Annivesary editions are the most comprehensive editions of JOY available. You should definately have one of these editions.

That being said, I meet people at signings who own a 1964 edition, or an earlier edition, and are quite satisfied with the edition they own. The reason they are satisfied is because they know the book, they know where their favorite reference sections and recipes are located, and the book to them in a good way feels like a pair of old, comfortable shoes.

If you don't own a JOY, I would definately buy the 75th Anniversary edition. If you are looking to upgrade, the 75th Anniversary edition is a wonderful choice. If you only have room for one book - I would recommend that you give the new edition a quick evaluation to be sure it will meet your needs before you consider throwing any old edition away. Better yet, sell the old edition to a used bookstore where it will likely get snatched up by an avid cookbook collector or JOY fan.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Maggie, thanks for your detailed and thoughtful responses--I love your menus and suspect they'll make their way to my table soon, especially the lamb chops, radicchio and beans, though I suspect I'll up the garlic ;-)
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

As you well know, I'm sure, recipes call for improvisation. They are really just a starting point, in particular for savory dishes. So if you like more garlic, use more garlic!
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
New User
MichaelM
0 Kudos

Hello There, What is Kirsch? as called for in "Pears in Cream and Kirsch" or also in
"Cheese Fondue". Is this actually "Kirschwasser" the famous cocktail mixer?
Seems a bit undiscriptive simply called "Kirsch", which of course is the German word for Cherry. So What form of Cherry are we adding to these recipes? Thank you very much.
Michael M.
Ketchikan, Alaska
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

This is a great question - "kirsch" is the short name for kirschwasser a clear brandy made by distilling black cherry juice. In these two recipes, you would use the clear cherry brandy called "kirsch".
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

tomato cake

[ Edited ]
Tomato soup cake p.721 seems definitely like a mystery to me. I am not sure where I find "condensed cream of tomato soup".

Is it Heinz? Or Campbell?
Campbell had just these if it has to be condensed:
# Cream of Asparagus Soup
# Cream of Broccoli Soup
# Cream of Celery Soup
# Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup
# Cream of Chicken Soup
# Cream of Chicken with Herbs Soup
# Cream of Mushroom Soup
# Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic Soup
# Cream of Onion Soup
# Cream of Potato Soup

Can I make some substitute directly from fresh tomatoes for the cake?
I have a great recipe for tomato soup so I actually never ventured into buying ready made soups. I remember you said previously the soups could be useful.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-11-200611:55 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

carrot cake

Can you make the high altitude carrot cake p.750 in normal altitude? Otherwise I see there's also one on p. 724.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

cocoa

[ Edited ]
What is Dutch-process (alkalized) cocoa powder. How is it different from plain cocoa powder? (not cocoa blend with sugar). (p.729- chocolate mousse cake)

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-11-200611:38 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

orange peel-zest

Sometimes there's a suggestion to use orange zest (p.548, sauce) and I seldom do so because the oranges are chemicaly treated and there's not always organic orange available.
Is it enough to wash the orange with a brush under running warm water? Not sure.

ziki
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: tomato cake

It could be either Heinz or Campbells Tomato Soup. We say condensed, so the cook knows not to add water. Let me know how you like the cake.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: carrot cake

The high altitude carrot cake was tested at high altitudes. If you want a traditional carrot cake at "sea level", you'll need to make the other carrot cake.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: cocoa

Dutch-process cocoa powder is "alkalized", and has a small quantity of alkali introduced during processing to neutralize the acidity, producing a darker cocoa that is milder in taste. If the recipe specifically calls for Dutch-process cocoa, we do recommend using it. Read more about Chocolate and Cocoa on JOY page 970 in the new edition. Hershey's or Droste are two brands that make Dutch-process cocoa. Look for the words Dutch-process on the label or it may also say "European-style".
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: orange peel-zest

Washing the orange will help to remove some of the chemical, but possibly not all of them. Ziki, you must be looking through your copy of JOY. Did it arrive in the mail?
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Look for Campbells Tomato Soup. Do not dilute the soup, use the can of soup without adding any milk or water.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MaggieGreen wrote:
It could be either Heinz or Campbells Tomato Soup. We say condensed, so the cook knows not to add water. Let me know how you like the cake.

Aha, meanwhile I edited my question....

I understand, I can use 'plain' tomato soup from can but not add more water to it.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-17-200612:24 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: tomato cake OK got it

OK gotcha now, thanks.

ziki
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 723 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: