Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Questions for the Moderator

Do you have any questions for the moderator? Reply to this message to start the conversation.
New User
bookworm2
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for the Moderator

Can you tell me if Silver Spoon Italian cookery book is available in Italian language? and if so where can I buy it on-line?
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

bookworm2 wrote:
Can you tell me if Silver Spoon Italian cookery book is available in Italian language? and if so where can I buy it on-line?

The Silver Spoon is definitely available in Italian! The Italian title is Il Cucchiaio D'Argento and it was first published in 1950. It's been through a few revisions since, the latest (I believe) in 1997. I don't see it available through Barnes and Noble and would never endorse the competition, but I found it on a famous online auction site for about 26 Euros and on another competitor's site for about 46 Euros. A good used/rare book seller or seller of Italian books in the US should be able to track it down fairly easily. Send me a private message if you have any trouble and I'm happy to help.
New User
Hammer
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

I want to buy a really great cookbook for my wife, Jane, for the holidays. We have a 10 month old, and she's trying to adjust to the baby, being home, running a household and cooking for us. Needless to say she doesn't have a lot of time, and a good book full of easy and mouthwatering recipes might be just the thing. I'm hoping that you might be able to suggest some good places to begin.

Sincerely,

Matt

PS - This will be in addition to the vacation we're going on in February :smileyhappy:, I'm not trying to give any overt hints, just to make life easier!
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

If Jane is comfortable in the kitchen, one of the books we've discussed on B&N in the past, The Silver Spoon, would be a good choice. It's the Italian version of JOY and for that matter the new JOY of cooking is a good option for a comprehensive cookbook as is Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

For someone less comfortable in the kitchen, looking for a "what to cook for dinner tonight" type book I'd recommend Rachel Ray's Express Lane Meals (whatever you think of the show and her persona, I like the recipes). I also like Meals Made Simple by the editors of Real Simple Magazine.

Finally, if Jane is a bit of an anti-host and has a sense of humor I recommend Amy Sedaris's I Like You: Hospitality Unider the Influence. Not exactly a cookbook but a lot of fun. I'd love to have her do a bookclub!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

The Food You Want to Eat

Jon, I've heard The Food You Want to Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes by Ted Allen is a good choice for beginners.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9781400080908
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: The Food You Want to Eat

Thanks! I don't know this book so will be sure to check it out.
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I think that any kitchen needs a copy of JOY. I'm know I'm partial, but it's a terrific value for your dollar, and will answer most any kitchen question. It is a cookbook though, not just a recipe book. There are many mouthwatering recipes, and we have listed in our Menus chapter, and teh Index 30 minute recipes, as well as a section on Cook for a Day, Eat for a Week - the premise being that you can cook food ahead, and freeze food for later consumption. The recipes in JOY appropriate for this type of cooking are also listed. Good luck!
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I totally agree with Maggie.JoyCB is a good investment for a 'normal person who needs to cook some food now and then'. I am new to the book but so far it served me well. I am not partial but I might become.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Jon... ?

[ Edited ]
I certainly hope that Joy becomes one permanent thread here on BNC even after Maggie decides to do something else.

I wonder if you could have a separate thread called 'Ask the Chef Jon' where the participants could ask you practical questions about cooking.If you want to limit it then make it one question per read fiction book, hihi.

So far your answers to me were very helpful and it would be great to have such a thread permanently available under a separate heading. If it gets too much it could be reorganized into subfolders called meat, veggies, cakes etc. and thus stay easily manageable.

We could also have a Shared Recipes from Readers folder. One condition: you made them at least ten times and can't help it because it is sooooo good.

Whadayasay? Shall I talk to the B&N boss, too? ;-)

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-22-200611:12 PM

Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: Hey Jon... ?

It would be great if JOY could become a permanent area. I've been a pretty frequent visitor over the past month, but maybe I could check in periodically.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: Hey Jon... ?

[ Edited ]
Hi Ziki--thanks for the great suggestions. No need to talk to the boss--you'll see those topics--Ask Chef Jon and Reader Favorites--up in General Cooking, Food and Drink. Just reply and they become a thread...

Message Edited by ChefJon on 12-22-200611:29 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Hey Jon... great!

Thank you....

I think this 'department' can grow into a great permanent place for cooks of all ranks.
I must say that your sour/sweet balance suggestions brought my ordinary ground meat tomato pasta sauce to a new hights. I always added a little sugar but I didn't quite know why..so now playing it with both a lemon and carrot etc. it became really good.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: Hey Jon... great!

Great, Ziki--an ongoing resource for cooks and readers is the goal, so tell your friends!

And so glad to hear about your pasta sauce success! Not being able to taste online is such a sad limitation...
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

? plantains

Hi,
I made golden sautéed plantain slices p.294 It worked very well. I served it with baked ham. However, it is a little heavy meal containing a lot of fat. (I drained it on a paper towel.)

I wonder what vegetables or what sallad can be served with it. I settled on neutral taste of sliced cucumber and avocado aside but I am not sure that it was the best choice.

I thought plantains 'should' be sweet so I was surprised to use salt and pepper, but it was good. Next time I'll go a step further and I'll try it with the Mojo.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: ? plantains

Hi Ziki, It sounds delicious! The sweetness largely comes from the sweetness of the plantains. Green plantains are starchier and work better with savory seasonings. Yellow to brown plantains are very sweet and you may not want to season them at all.

They are fatty! Though draining is a good idea as you note. Your salad sounds good. Corn, steamed vegetables, or stewed vegetables are all lower fat alternatives that balance it a bit.

It sounds great! It's fun to read how much you've been cooking lately.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

cooking lately

[ Edited ]
I must admit I got a boost out of the Joy of Cooking book. Even if I didn't attempt any big and elaborate dishes, I now pay more attention to small meals and I definitely make a bigger effort. In so doing I got out of the 'tired-uninspired' period that I had in the pot land lately :-)

I feel that the 'Joy' book is very useful for everyday cooking and it actually brought me joy. Yesterday I made a curry with cauliflower and in that case I didn't follow the recipe exactly. But even when I tweaked it a bit, it came out great with the guidance from the book. I'd say the recipes in the book seem to be 'safe' to follow.

So far there was one thing only I didn't find a reference to: malted dry milk. Maybe I just didn't see that. However, I discovered what it was (Ovaltine and such).

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-04-200708:57 PM

Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: cooking lately

Ziki, for a cooking teacher (and now an online book club moderator) this is the best feedback and I know Maggie will be thrilled as well. If a book can inspire discussion and get you sufficiently excited to cook better, that's really extraordinary. Congrats on the cauliflower and thanks for keeping us posted. Yum!
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 513 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: