Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

cooking with joy- ideas, experiences

[ Edited ]
One simple idea I got from my first quick leafing through the cook book yesterday:

One can just 'tear'(not cut) the breast meat into smaller bits and warm them in a freshly made sauce.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-20-200611:01 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

cauliflower

[ Edited ]
I made the mashed cauliflower p.267 and it was good. Definitely a change.
I wouldn't think of combining garlic with cauliflower.

A friend from Switzerland happened to call and I enthusiastically reported my kitchen experiments and as usually he made a stupid comment: "sounds like baby food". In a way he was right but I just didn't choose to see it in the same way :-)

I also made additional thin red book-marks, so now I have seven altogether,I need'em all, heheh

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-27-200608:47 PM

Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: cauliflower

Hi Ziki,

I'm glad YOU called your friend's comment stupid so I don't have to. I love that recipe and think your friend is right in that babies might love it! I think purees and mashes like that are great, especially in winter and a sweet garlic flavor is wonderful with it. Thanks for sharing your experiences. We'll keep this thread open for a while so as people try recipes from Joy they can share their experiences...
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: cauliflower

For reasons of health or dietary preference, many individuals restrict their carbohydrate intake. We elected, in this edition, to include mashed cauliflower as a lower carbohydrate alternative to mashed potatoes. The garlic is a good addition, and I'm glad you tried the recipe. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

thread open

ChefJon wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experiences. We'll keep this thread open for a while so as people try recipes from Joy they can share their experiences...

aye, with the thousand and something pages this thread must stay open for quite some time...but if necessary maybe it can be moved to the other forum where joy is also featured (along with the other cook books).

ziki
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: thread open

Hi Ziki, again you're on the ball. There's a forum open sometimes called "Classic Cookbooks" and these threads can move there. Hopefully Maggie and many of the other book club contributors will join us there as well.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: thread open

ChefJon wrote:
Hi Ziki, again you're on the ball. There's a forum open sometimes called "Classic Cookbooks" and these threads can move there. Hopefully Maggie and many of the other book club contributors will join us there as well.

yes that would be great...the 'behind the scene' folks keep shuffling the threads around so now and then I can't find it... but then it appears again....heheh.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: cauliflower and GI

MaggieGreen wrote:
For reasons of health or dietary preference, many individuals restrict their carbohydrate intake. We elected, in this edition, to include mashed cauliflower as a lower carbohydrate alternative to mashed potatoes. The garlic is a good addition, and I'm glad you tried the recipe. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I just want to tell you how fun these comments you make are. Who could otherwise imagine the concern that was actually given to each recipe...quite incredible!

The GI (glykemic index) became a big buzz but I think we do fine if we eat balanced food.
However, with mashed potatoes it is a bit tricky. When they are mashed one tends to eat more of them than if they are in another 'shape' I noticed.

ziki
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 1,098 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: