Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: 1. WAR AND PEACE 1.1 July-August 1805 - French

Thanks for joining this conversation, Maude.

You can find some comments about Anna Milhalovna on the characters thread.  Not everyone reacts as unfavorably towards her as you and I do -- and even I have to admit that she did save Pierre his inheritance, even if she probably does expect him to be a softer sell than Katish or Vassily  These were the days before she could have been expected to go out and get a job to support herself and her son.

Pepper

maude40 wrote:
I haven't seen too many comments about Anna Mihalovna in this thread, but she drives me to distraction with her pushy attitude. She barges in everywhere and is mainly tolerated by all. She is bound and determined to get her hands on some of the Count's money. Except for the argument with the Count's daughter, Katish, everyone seems to put with her and I'd like to put her in her place. Yvonne

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: 1. WAR AND PEACE 1.1 July-August 1805 -Anna Mikhaylovna

She's a mama bear looking out for the interests of Boris, her cub. And we're really glad to have you here, Maude!

maude40 wrote:
I haven't seen too many comments about Anna Mihalovna in this thread, but she drives me to distraction with her pushy attitude. She barges in everywhere and is mainly tolerated by all. She is bound and determined to get her hands on some of the Count's money. Except for the argument with the Count's daughter, Katish, everyone seems to put with her and I'd like to put her in her place. Yvonne

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Yes, I like her because she knits Pierre a scarf:smileyvery-happy:.

Peppermill wrote:

Thanks for joining this conversation, Maude.

You can find some comments about Anna Milhalovna on the characters thread.  Not everyone reacts as unfavorably towards her as you and I do -- and even I have to admit that she did save Pierre his inheritance, even if she probably does expect him to be a softer sell than Katish or Vassily  These were the days before she could have been expected to go out and get a job to support herself and her son.

Pepper

maude40 wrote:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A nice friendly reminder to keep draped about Pierre's neck?  How in keeping with my assessment of this leech, oops, Mamma Bear.

Choisya wrote:

Peppermill wrote {ed.}:

Thanks for joining this conversation, Yvonne.

You can find some comments about Anna Milhalovna on the characters thread.  Not everyone reacts as unfavorably towards her as you and I do -- and even I have to admit that she did save Pierre his inheritance, even if she probably does expect him to be a softer sell than Katish or Vassily  These were the days before she could have been expected to go out and get a job to support herself and her son.  Pepper

maude40 wrote:

Message Edited by Peppermill on 08-13-2008 07:26 AM
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I don't care - I am being pragmatic, the poor dear will need it when he gets to Borodino!:smileysurprised: I would knit one myself if I could:smileyhappy:.

Peppermill wrote:

A nice friendly reminder to keep draped about Pierre's neck?  How in keeping with my assessment of this leech, oops, Mamma Bear.

Choisya wrote:

Peppermill wrote {ed.}:

Thanks for joining this conversation, Yvonne.

You can find some comments about Anna Milhalovna on the characters thread.  Not everyone reacts as unfavorably towards her as you and I do -- and even I have to admit that she did save Pierre his inheritance, even if she probably does expect him to be a softer sell than Katish or Vassily  These were the days before she could have been expected to go out and get a job to support herself and her son.  Pepper

maude40 wrote:

Message Edited by Peppermill on 08-13-2008 07:26 AM

Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

Well, she's gotta' be pushy if she wants money . . . it's not like she can get 'Legal Aid' and have a lawyer go into court and get 'support payments' from an 'ex'.

Carly

http://wildcity.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=Books
Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That's right, Pepper . . . she couldn't very well go out and get a job, like we do in modern times.

How can the woman be faulted for negotiating for money for herself from his blood father?

I corrected myself . . . I don't even know who Boris's blood father was, but it wasn't the dying count - got it mixed up with Pierre - sorry.

Anyone who has ever been a single mother, poor and on the dole can tell you that. People who have money, and are able to earn more money, don't have to worry about they're going to live and support their kids.

There were no laws to protect women when rich men got them pregnant. And of course, it was entirely the woman's fault! Doesn't even matter if the guy forced himself on her. She was reduced to a beggar.

Again - I don't really know the details of Boris's birth.

I'm often bemused by the way society puts people down who fall into hard times. The same people who don't want the homeless using washrooms in restaurants and coffee shops, are the ones who knock them for not keeping themselves cleaned up and smelling nice.

I'd better not go on about that . . . don't wanna' get myself all worked up about it.

Message Edited by WildCityWoman on 08-13-2008 02:12 PM
Carly

Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

Right! She's doing the same thing that any other woman would do.

Laurel wrote:

She's a mama bear looking out for the interests of Boris, her cub. And we're really glad to have you here, Maude!

maude40 wrote:

Carly

Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

Would those who sneer at her 'begging', think she should get a job, hire her? Maybe give her domestic work in their home? Give her a chance to earn her own money and keep?

Doubt it . . .

Carly

Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

I apologize . . . I'm assuming her son was the dying count's offspring . . . she was the 'impoverished' mother of Boris.

She is a princess, herself, isn't she?

Guess she couldn't be expected to take a job as a domestic.

Anyway, I don't really know a lot about her; still, she is poor, and she most likely didn't make herself poor - why she is 'impoverished', I don't know. But unless it came about by her own hand, which I doubt, it isn't her fault she's poor.

Therefore, I will continue to hotly defend the poor dear . . .

:smileysad:

Carly

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Well said WCW!  I have been ill, poor and 'on the dole' and I know that it is very hard to 'pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again', and you need a lot of help and understanding.  And these were the days before there was any 'dole'!

WildCityWoman wrote:

That's right, Pepper . . . she couldn't very well go out and get a job, like we do in modern times.

How can the woman be faulted for negotiating for money for herself from his blood father?

Anyone who has ever been a single mother, poor and on the dole can tell you that. People who have money, and are able to earn more money, don't have to worry about they're going to live and support their kids.

There were no laws to protect women when rich men got them pregnant. And of course, it was entirely the woman's fault! Doesn't even matter if the guy forced himself on her. She was reduced to a beggar.

I'm often bemused by the way society puts people down who fall into hard times. The same people who don't want the homeless using washrooms in restaurants and coffee shops, are the ones who knock them for not keeping themselves cleaned up and smelling nice.

I'd better not go on about that . . . don't wanna' get myself all worked up about it.

Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

Ahhhh! I've been there myself, Choisya . . . we're ok now - sure not rich, but we're able to keep ourselves.

Still, having been down a coupla' times myself, I understand the plight of the poor better.

I won't go into the details of my having been 'down', other than to say once was through no fault of my own, and the other time I coulda' been a little more astute than I was.

Carly

Frequent Contributor
CarlySv
0 Kudos

Because I am looking for something in particular, I'm not going over Book 1 again . . . something caught my eye here this morning (from Ch 9, Bk 1) . . .

"First-rate," said Pierre, looking at Dolokhov, who with a bottle of rum in his hand was approaching the window, from which the light of the sky, the dawn merging with the afterglow of sunset, was visible.

How in the heck could that be? Is it because of their geographical position - near the north pole?

Anybody know this?

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Summer in Petersburg is famous for its "White Nights." The city is so far north that nights are extremely short.

CarlySv wrote:

Because I am looking for something in particular, I'm not going over Book 1 again . . . something caught my eye here this morning (from Ch 9, Bk 1) . . .

"First-rate," said Pierre, looking at Dolokhov, who with a bottle of rum in his hand was approaching the window, from which the light of the sky, the dawn merging with the afterglow of sunset, was visible.

How in the heck could that be? Is it because of their geographical position - near the north pole?

Anybody know this?

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
CarlySv
0 Kudos

Thanks, Laurel . . . I guessed right then.

I asked the same question at Chopra's board, and Steve, one of the members there, explained that to me.

Moscow and St. P. would be much closer to the pole than we are in Toronto.

Although we do see some shadings of the Northern Lights sometimes, it's nothing compared to how the sky is seen in the northern towns.

I'd like to go up to Churchill, Manitoba sometime and see the polar bears and the northern lights.