Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Coming Attractions

Based on your suggestions and my inclinations, here is a preview of what we will be discussing after we finish Anna Karenina.

April, May, June 2008: Homer, The Odyssey

July 2008: Play break. I'll be attending the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in July, so we shall take a break from reading.

August, September, October 2008: Tolstoy, War and Peace
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Re: Coming Attractions

Yay!!! War and Peace!!!!

Enjoy your Shakespeare festival. His work is among my greatest loves. My father was a literature professor and my fondest memories are of his voice reading Shakespeare to me from my earliest recollections. I envy your trip!!!
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Suzi, why am I not surprised at your background? Your father gave you a wonderful heritage. My own father graduated from high school at the age of fourteen and had to forego college in order to help support all his sisters. He educated himself by reading, however, and I, too, have very early memories of his reading to me and my numerous brothers and sisters. He especially liked Shelley, Keats, Shakespeare, and Kipling. Three of us became writers.

blkeyesuzi wrote:
Yay!!! War and Peace!!!!

Enjoy your Shakespeare festival. His work is among my greatest loves. My father was a literature professor and my fondest memories are of his voice reading Shakespeare to me from my earliest recollections. I envy your trip!!!

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Laurel wrote:
Suzi, why am I not surprised at your background? Your father gave you a wonderful heritage. My own father graduated from high school at the age of fourteen and had to forego college in order to help support all his sisters. He educated himself by reading, however, and I, too, have very early memories of his reading to me and my numerous brothers and sisters. He especially liked Shelley, Keats, Shakespeare, and Kipling. Three of us became writers.

blkeyesuzi wrote:
Yay!!! War and Peace!!!!

You are so fortunate to have such a wonderful father. He overcame and accomplished much.

Our parents have a huge influence on who we become, if we allow them. Both of us benefited from their passion for literature, it seems. My father loved Shakespeare, Poe, O. Henry, Tolkien, Byron, Keats, and Shelley. I was always fascinated by his library. He also had shelves and shelves of Greek mythology and I remember trying to read it when I was in 2nd grade and he'd get so frustrated with trying to explain it to me. He NEVER told me I couldn't read it, though. He read Shakespeare to me from my earliest memory. He could read it such that it was completely understandable, even for me. We read Canterbury tales and Gawain and the Green Night when I was in 4th and 5th grades and they were an ongoing discussion as long as he was alive. Our own private little thing.

The first movie I remember seeing is "Othello", which my dad brought home with the reel-to-reel from school to preview for his class. I was so small, but I sat through the whole thing. That probably cinched it for me...I was hooked for life.

Message Edited by blkeyesuzi on 02-07-2008 05:07 PM
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
Based on your suggestions and my inclinations, here is a preview of what we will be discussing after we finish Anna Karenina.

Yeah! War and Peace! I will be joining you all for that one. And, putting it on my schedule now, I will start off on time and not behind! :smileyhappy:
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

War and Peace on BBC7

If you want to get a headstart on War and Peace, BBC7 will play their dramatization again on the internet beginning this Monday, Feb 11.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/drama/7drama.shtml

If you go to the above link on Tuesday or Wednesday and click "Listen Again" near the top on the left, you will be taken to a site that will allow you to listen to the previous program without worrying about time schedules.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Re: War and Peace on BBC7

Laurel wrote:
If you want to get a headstart on War and Peace, BBC7 will play their dramatization again on the internet beginning this Monday, Feb 11.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/drama/7drama.shtml

If you go to the above link on Tuesday or Wednesday and click "Listen Again" near the top on the left, you will be taken to a site that will allow you to listen to the previous program without worrying about time schedules.

How fun! I listened to Middlemarch today. I like that site. I think I'll hold on to that one!
Suzi

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:

July 2008: Play break. I'll be attending the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in July, so we shall take a break from reading.

I'll probably join the Odyssey board...we'll see. I've read it already, so will have to re-read each assignment in order to stay with the board assigned discussions. One thing regarding the Odyssey:

My favorite thing (call me simple) is this quote (not sure if I'll get it right from memory, but perhaps close):

"When came the child of morn, rosy fingered dawn...."

I just love how that is repeated throughout the text. Love it Love it...
Suzi

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info., Laurel! I think I'll wait to read the book before I listen.
Laura

Frequent Contributor
butterfly30
0 Kudos

I have not read any of those books. I am looking forward to both books.
"Tomorrow Is A brand New Day With No Mistakes In It" Anne of Green Gables
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:
Thanks for the info., Laurel! I think I'll wait to read the book before I listen.

Good call, Laura. Listening to or seeing War and Peace dramatized can help you keep track of the characters, but there is nothing like reading that book for the first time. Some people will find that listening to the first two or three episodes of the BBC drama will be very helpful.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

We'll be very glad to have you, Butterfly.

butterfly30 wrote:
I have not read any of those books. I am looking forward to both books.

Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

War & Peace!

Laurel wrote:

War and Peace! Finally! I knew you would get it in here some time! I'm ready! I've been ready for years--I never did finish it but I'm pretty good on the first few books, which I think was about as far as we got the last time. I have everything I need (I think).

Book - Norton Critical Edition - Check
Seven hour movie - Check
BBC dramatization - Check
Naxos Unabridged audio - Yiks! $200. Better start saving up for that one!
Opera - Check

What else do I need?

Bucky
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: War & Peace!

Hurrah, Bucky! I do believe you'll make it this time.

leakybucket wrote:

Laurel wrote:

War and Peace! Finally! I knew you would get it in here some time! I'm ready! I've been ready for years--I never did finish it but I'm pretty good on the first few books, which I think was about as far as we got the last time. I have everything I need (I think).

Book - Norton Critical Edition - Check
Seven hour movie - Check
BBC dramatization - Check
Naxos Unabridged audio - Yiks! $200. Better start saving up for that one!
Opera - Check

What else do I need?

Bucky

Contributor
CrystalVan
0 Kudos

I a so happy to hear this group will be reading War and Peace. I bought Pevear and Volokhonsky (with coupon and membership card--great price). I can hardly wait to start reading it, but of course, I want to finish AK first.

I thought Tolstoy brilliantly captured Levin's feelings upon seeing Kitty while ice skating. That feeling of hardly daring to breathe or even look in her direction made her later rejection even more painful to bear, and it reminded me of adolescent love in many ways.

Laurel wrote:

Crystal V.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I'm glad so many people are game for War and Peace, Crystal. Tolstoy seems to feel exactly what Levin is feeling, doesn't he? Levin reminds me a lot of Pierre in War and Peace.

CrystalVan wrote:
I a so happy to hear this group will be reading War and Peace. I bought Pevear and Volokhonsky (with coupon and membership card--great price). I can hardly wait to start reading it, but of course, I want to finish AK first.

I thought Tolstoy brilliantly captured Levin's feelings upon seeing Kitty while ice skating. That feeling of hardly daring to breathe or even look in her direction made her later rejection even more painful to bear, and it reminded me of adolescent love in many ways.

Laurel wrote:

Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

CrystalVan wrote:

Laurel wrote:

I was thinking of the Pevear translation as well. Any opinions?
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

leakybucket wrote:

I'll be using the new Anthony Briggs translation, since it is the one I have available right now. I haven't read that translation, yet.
Suzi

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

leakybucket wrote:

That's the one I have. It has received great reviews. But, I'm no expert...
Laura

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

leakybucket wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

leakybucket wrote:

yes, I read an article in NewsWeek a while back and they were comparing the two. They had side-by-side comparisons of particular excerpts, so you could see the differences for yourself. I have to say that from what I saw, I far preferred the Peaver selections. They were more descriptive and artistic. The Anthony Briggs didn't seem to capture the "feel" and the emotion quite as well. Unfortunately, I had already bought the Briggs version at a really good price. I need to read that version to really compare the two anyway...it's really hard to tell just from a few excerpts, I suppose.

If I get frustrated with the Briggs version, I'll have to pull my Peaver version out of storage.
Suzi