Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself Here!

[ Edited ]

Welcome to a discussion of some of the greatest works of literature the world has yet produced. Whether you are an old-timer or a new person starting "in the middle of things" where all good epics begin, please take a minute right now to introduce yourself and tell us where you are in your life's journey and where you are planning to go this next year or more.

For your interest, here is a list of books we have discussed on this board since its inception in 2007 and what we have planned so far for 2009. As you can see, we sometimes read an epic and sometimes take time out for an et cetera. We have new people joining us often, so sit down, open a book, and make yourself at home.

Paradise Lost (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)   April- June 2007

Eugene Onegin   July 2007

The Iliad (Fagles translation)   Sept.-Nov. 2007

Idylls of the King   Dec. 2007-Jan. 2008

Anna Karenina (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)   Feb.-Mar. 2008

The Odyssey (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)   Apr.-June 2008

War and Peace   Aug.-Oct. 2008

Ward no. 6 and Other Stories Nov. 2008

The Man Who Was Thursday Dec. 2008

The Aeneid (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) Jan.-Feb. 2009

Inferno   Mar.-Apr. 2009

Purgatorio   May-June 2009

(summer break July 2009)

Paradiso  Aug. 2009

This would be a wonderful stopping place, but in case we have miles to go before we sleep I am always taking new suggestions for the next point on our journey.

Message Edited by Laurel on 12-29-2008 10:25 AM
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Correspondent
rbehr
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!

I found BNU (Barnes & Noble University, the predecessor to the current BN Book Club) when I retired a few years ago.  I've always enjoyed reading, but have a technical background and never tackled classic literature.  I decided to try "Paradise Lost" and got hooked on good literature and the Epics Board.  I'm looking forward to the reading and learning more about the Roman Empire.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This would be a wonderful stopping place, but in case we have miles to go before we sleep I am always taking new suggestions for the next point on our journey.

Many, many miles.  Just a few possibilities:

Steven Vincent Benet, John Brown's Body

The Canterbury Tales

Ovid's Metamorphoses

Boccacio's Decameron

Carl Sandberg, The People, Yes

Don Quixote

Gulliver's Travels

Brothers Karamazov

Crime and Punishment

Fairy Queene

Plato's Republic

Those would take us at least another year or two.  

Message Edited by Everyman on 12-29-2008 05:34 PM
0 Kudos

Are we re-introducing, Laurel?  Good idea, for the newcomers to know who all is here.

I'm a mostly retired family law attorney, former teacher, corporate executive, and a few other things.  Live in the Pacific Northwest on an island served only by ferry or airplane (no bridges) with my wife, my books, her artwork, and my two children and their spouses and two grandchildren living next door, so I can be a grandparent any time I want to.  

0 Kudos

Hey Guys!  I'm new here, but not new to reading :smileyhappy:.  I'm very excited to read with you guys these awesome books chosen for the Epic Section.  What a cool way to begin the new year, by reading some more!

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

And we're certainly glad to have you, Green Skunk. That's a very interesting library you have on your user page!

Green_Skunk wrote:

Hey Guys!  I'm new here, but not new to reading :smileyhappy:.  I'm very excited to read with you guys these awesome books chosen for the Epic Section.  What a cool way to begin the new year, by reading some more!

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Yes, I thought it would be good for all of us to stop by here and say a few words about ourselves. Those who have filled out the "My B&N" page, let us know about that, too. You can find out just about all you would want to know about me by punching "Go to My B&N" to the left of this message. I hope the rest of you will fill out your pages, too; it's painless.

I, too, live in the Pacific Northwest, about as far north and west as you could get without being a Canadian or an Orca. I'm retired and keeping an eye on my parents, who live next door, and my two cats, who live with me. I'm able to spend much of my time reading, so I am never bored.

Everyman wrote:

Are we re-introducing, Laurel?  Good idea, for the newcomers to know who all is here.

I'm a mostly retired family law attorney, former teacher, corporate executive, and a few other things.  Live in the Pacific Northwest on an island served only by ferry or airplane (no bridges) with my wife, my books, her artwork, and my two children and their spouses and two grandchildren living next door, so I can be a grandparent any time I want to.  

Contributor
SLROnline
0 Kudos

I'm a book store manager, aspiring writer, voracious reader, husband to a brilliant artist and musician, and owned by a cocker spaniel named after a wicked Old Testament queen. Epic fiction, where the great masters of literature spar against the universe in all its iterations, has been my reading of choice since I first learned that there was more to the alphabet than the abc song. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with this group. There are certainly far more books worth discussing than a lifetime of reading allows. The et cetera concept intrigues me. There are so many modern literary novels that fit my understanding of an epic story. Perhaps we'll see some of them on the list in the months to come. In the meantime, Virgil awaits ...

Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu2
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm a mom of 3 grandmother of 3 who used to teach elementary school.  I'm also married to an artist/professor.  I'm in the third year of a four year great books program (I guess that makes me a "junior").  Beginning in January we'll be reading the Aeneid, along with the Orestia.  I've never read much about Rome and I'm looking forward to learning a lot.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome, SLR! I was just going to mention that OT queen because, as far as I can figure out, she was a close ancestor to the famous queen of books 1-4 of The Aeneid. And yes, by the time we finish with Virgil and Dante we will probably be ready for an et cetera--perhaps a good science-fiction mind boggler--before sailing on.

SLROnline wrote:

I'm a book store manager, aspiring writer, voracious reader, husband to a brilliant artist and musician, and owned by a cocker spaniel named after a wicked Old Testament queen. Epic fiction, where the great masters of literature spar against the universe in all its iterations, has been my reading of choice since I first learned that there was more to the alphabet than the abc song. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with this group. There are certainly far more books worth discussing than a lifetime of reading allows. The et cetera concept intrigues me. There are so many modern literary novels that fit my understanding of an epic story. Perhaps we'll see some of them on the list in the months to come. In the meantime, Virgil awaits ...

Message Edited by Laurel on 12-31-2008 09:31 AM
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

We're happy to have you in our midst, Timbu! I hope you'll bring some classroom insights into the discussions.

Timbuktu2 wrote:
Hi, I'm a mom of 3 grandmother of 3 who used to teach elementary school.  I'm also married to an artist/professor.  I'm in the third year of a four year great books program (I guess that makes me a "junior").  Beginning in January we'll be reading the Aeneid, along with the Orestia.  I've never read much about Rome and I'm looking forward to learning a lot.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Literaure by Women and Knitting reader-moderator. 

Epics lurker.

Workaholic epidemiologist/bookseller bookworm.

Totally had a better post until I dropped mayonnaise on my keyboard.  Guess I shouldn't eat at my computer at work.  Oops.  (I got the mayo out, luckily)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Hi Melissa!

pedsphleb wrote:

Literaure by Women and Knitting reader-moderator. 

Epics lurker.

Workaholic epidemiologist/bookseller bookworm.

Totally had a better post until I dropped mayonnaise on my keyboard.  Guess I shouldn't eat at my computer at work.  Oops.  (I got the mayo out, luckily)

New User
ClassicGypsy
0 Kudos

Greetings!  I am a fellow avid reader, adventurer and wanderer.  I look forward to this discussion and reading up on original classic epics that I missed out on from my public school mis-education.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Welcome, ClassicGypsy. We know just what you mean.

ClassicGypsy wrote:

Greetings!  I am a fellow avid reader, adventurer and wanderer.  I look forward to this discussion and reading up on original classic epics that I missed out on from my public school mis-education.

Frequent Contributor
Lamplighter
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:

Welcome to a discussion of some of the greatest works of literature the world has yet produced. Whether you are an old-timer or a new person starting "in the middle of things" where all good epics begin, please take a minute right now to introduce yourself and tell us where you are in your life's journey and where you are planning to go this next year or more.

For your interest, here is a list of books we have discussed on this board since its inception in 2007 and what we have planned so far for 2009. As you can see, we sometimes read an epic and sometimes take time out for an et cetera. We have new people joining us often, so sit down, open a book, and make yourself at home.

Paradise Lost (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)   April- June 2007

Eugene Onegin   July 2007

The Iliad (Fagles translation)   Sept.-Nov. 2007

Idylls of the King   Dec. 2007-Jan. 2008

Anna Karenina (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)   Feb.-Mar. 2008

The Odyssey (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)   Apr.-June 2008

War and Peace   Aug.-Oct. 2008

Ward no. 6 and Other Stories Nov. 2008

The Man Who Was Thursday Dec. 2008

The Aeneid (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) Jan.-Feb. 2009

Inferno   Mar.-Apr. 2009

Purgatorio   May-June 2009

(summer break July 2009)

Paradiso  Aug. 2009

Message Edited by Laurel on 12-29-2008 10:25 AM

Hi Laurel, I'm back for more and getting addicted to these readings.   I'm a retired electronic engineer,  originally from Pennsylvania but living mostly in Virginia these days.  At the time not taking literature courses seemed like an advantage of engineering studies but not anymore.  But I doubt I would have appreciated these works back then.  

I purchased the Teaching Company lectures on the Aeneid that were recommended by someone in another thread and they are a great help here and a good value. The download was quick and easy and not very expensive.  I've used many of the Teaching Company resources before but hadn't realized the Aeneid was available.   

Looking forward to the discussions. Also looking forward to the end of winter but that is a different discussion.   

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

We're always glad to have you along, Jim.

Lamplighter wrote: 

Hi Laurel, I'm back for more and getting addicted to these readings.   I'm a retired electronic engineer,  originally from Pennsylvania but living mostly in Virginia these days.  At the time not taking literature courses seemed like an advantage of engineering studies but not anymore.  But I doubt I would have appreciated these works back then.  

I purchased the Teaching Company lectures on the Aeneid that were recommended by someone in another thread and they are a great help here and a good value. The download was quick and easy and not very expensive.  I've used many of the Teaching Company resources before but hadn't realized the Aeneid was available.   

Looking forward to the discussions. Also looking forward to the end of winter but that is a different discussion.   

Reader-Moderator
bdNM
0 Kudos

I currently work at a public library, and do the book discussions at the branch I'm at, and also teach the various computer offerings we have (all pretty modest).  I also teach a course in Classical Mythology at a local community college (in the Kansas City area).  I taught Latin for about 25 years following graduation from college.  Haven't done much with Latin directly in years, though some of that stuff sticks.  I find the "Aeneid" to be quite an amazing work -- lots of depths to plumb here. 
Dignity, always dignity.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Your contributions here are always of great value, Bernard. Thank you for joining us again.

bdNM wrote:
I currently work at a public library, and do the book discussions at the branch I'm at, and also teach the various computer offerings we have (all pretty modest).  I also teach a course in Classical Mythology at a local community college (in the Kansas City area).  I taught Latin for about 25 years following graduation from college.  Haven't done much with Latin directly in years, though some of that stuff sticks.  I find the "Aeneid" to be quite an amazing work -- lots of depths to plumb here. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Hey - a Latin teacher!  Have you checked out the Latin thread?  I wonder, if we got a group together here to learn (or re-learn after many years) Latin, would you be willing to be a resource? 

bdNM wrote: