Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
bdNM
0 Kudos

On the shores of Gitchee Gumee -- please introduce yourself...

Well, better late than never...

I should have started here, but we can introduce ourselves now, as we are getting to the point about Hiawatha's Friends...

My background is in the Classics (Latin and Greek), though I also have some training in Old English.  I have a fondness for the great works of the ancients and some medieval writers.  In general, my fondness for American literature is largely focused on 20th century authors.  When I was in grammar school, I read some of "Song of Hiawatha," and assumed that it was what good poetry was.  As I encountered other poets over the year, Longfellow's stock with me took a tumble.  Still, this poem is a famous American poem, and it seemed a good idea to spend some time with it, rather than simply look at it derisively from afar.  At this point, I'm finding that I like it somewhat, and that the repetition has a certain amount of charm.  I hope to read a few scholarly things about the poem and will be sharing my findings when I do.

Let's hear from you guys?  Who are you?  What interest do you have in the most popular American poem of the 1850s? 

Dignity, always dignity.
Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite
0 Kudos

Re: On the shores of Gitchee Gumee -- please introduce yourself...

I have always loved to read, but I found that I had to put reading on the backburner while I raised my children.  About 7 years ago, I started a neighborhood book club due to my renewed interest in reading.  We are now 12 strong but I am in a minority when it comes to wanting to read the classics and literature that we were introduced to at school.  So I started slowly with some classics.  Beowulf caught my attention as did Shakespeare so B&N has been filling in the gap.  I may not have much to offer on the scholarly details or intellectual insights, but I am learning alot and am thankful for these message listings!

Reader-Moderator
bdNM
0 Kudos

Re: On the shores of Gitchee Gumee -- please introduce yourself...

What books are you reading with your book club?  At the book club I moderate at the library, we are generally reading books of interest to an African-American audience, who make up about 80% of our public. 

Our current reading is Walter Mosley's Little Scarlet, which I find fascinating in that it gives an insight into the Watts riots of 1965, which happened in my lifetime, but I was too young and too far from LA for them to make any impression.

Dignity, always dignity.