Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Books Read in 2009: June

Miss Mapp 

Delicious!

Nicholas Nickleby 

A wonderful, multifaceted tale. It occurs to me that Dickens took the form of the eighteenth-century English novelists (a young man going through many episodes of travel and adventure as he comes of age) here and improved on it vastly.

Of Human Bondage 

Just as I was beginning to wish this novel was a short story, it took an unexpected turn and I was glad that I had 300 more pages or so to go (it's a 700-page book). It was fortuitous that I read it just after finishing _Nicholas Nickleby_. Like Nicholas, Maugham's hero, Phillip Carey, keeps reinventing himself and varying his stage and adventures. Phillip Carey, though, has no dependents for whom to toil. He is on a quest for freedom while all the time being bound by his own passions. Not until he submits to the yoke of common morality does he become free. To me, this book is a rewrite of the searchings in the book of Ecclesiastes. "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity." Fortunately, the ending is left for the reader to write, and I think it comes out very well indeed.

The Mystery of Edwin Drood 

I didn't finish reading this book because Dickens didn't finish writing it. (He died instead, thus creating a real mystery.) As Chesterton wrote, "And alone, perhaps, among detective-story writers, he never lived to destroy his mystery."

Oedipus Rex

Such a sad story! 

It's really too bad that Freud had to take it over.

Bleak House 

I'm amazed at the way Dickens took so many themes and streams and wove them all together to form a satisfying conclusion in this long novel. He did an excellent job with his only female narrator, too.

Purgatorio 

Beautiful and ingenious. 

Psmith in the City

Psilly and pfun!

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek 

Almost every sentence of this book is a miniature miracle. What a great primer for would-be writers of any genre! It's hard to say what impressed me more--the observations Dillard made in a year around, on, and in the creek, her wonderful style, her evolving philosophy of life, or her vast variety of literary allusions. They all work together to form a memorable experience that I will want to return to again and again. I don't know why it took me so long to discover this wonderful volume.

The Haunting of Hill House    

Forgettable (fortunately).     

Much Ado about Nothing 

One of my favorites.

Bible: Exodus

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Color photographs of Czarist Russia

Incredible - what a complicated technique!  Thanks Laurel. 

Laurel wrote:
Amazing! Even Tolstoy is here.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Literary cricket team

What fun! Can't you just see G.K. Chesterton playing cricket?

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/books/RareBooks/barrie-cricket-team-allahakbarries/peter-pan.shtml?cm_mmc=...

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Literary cricket team

What a great idea.  Alas, far fewer men play cricket these days so I think there would be difficulty in recruiting such a team today:smileysad:.

Laurel wrote:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/books/RareBooks/barrie-cricket-team-allahakbarries/peter-pan.shtml?cm_mmc=...

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Going to see Dante.

I am in Florence from Monday to Friday next week and one of my planned visits is to Dante's house, which is now a Museum dedicated to him.   I will report back upon my return:smileyhappy:.   
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Literary cricket team

P.G. Wodehouse's Psmith in the City, which I read last month, has cricket running all the way through it, and alas, I had to just pretend I knew what he was talking about. Despite my ignorance, the book was still hilarious. It was a relief to me to see P.G. on the cricket team, though.

Choisya wrote:

What a great idea.  Alas, far fewer men play cricket these days so I think there would be difficulty in recruiting such a team today:smileysad:.

Laurel wrote:

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Poor Choisya! I hope you don't get too bored and chilled on the trip. :smileyhappy:

Have a great time!

Choisya wrote:
I am in Florence from Monday to Friday next week and one of my planned visits is to Dante's house, which is now a Museum dedicated to him.   I will report back upon my return:smileyhappy:.   

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I will try very hard to keep my chin up:smileyvery-happy:.

Laurel wrote:

Poor Choisya! I hope you don't get too bored and chilled on the trip. :smileyhappy:

Have a great time!

Choisya wrote:

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Pluck a laurel leaf for me.

Choisya wrote:

I will try very hard to keep my chin up:smileyvery-happy:.

Laurel wrote:

Have a great time!

Choisya wrote:

Message Edited by Laurel on 07-09-2009 12:34 PM
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Happy Birthday, Big Ben

Ben just turned 150.
New User
GuardianPG
0 Kudos

Re: Pizzeria (an off-topic chat room)

Showdown (Paradis Series #1)  

Has anyone ever read this book?! This is one of THEEE strangest stories I've ever read, but I really liked it. I will say I had NO idea exactly as to what was going on until like a little before half way through it! Very VERY interesting story. Has anyone else read this?

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Dante Dream

The present head of the Alighieri clan wants the three cities important to Dante's life to cooperate...
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Dante Dream

Another fascinating article at that location:

"Runaway Wives: Husband Desertion in Medieval England"

Laurel wrote:
The present head of the Alighieri clan wants the three cities important to Dante's life to cooperate...

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Again in Italy.

I found this report of a Nun in Italy speeding hilarious and fit for a Bette Midler film!
Correspondent
rbehr
0 Kudos

Entering the last stretch in the marathon

I feel like I'm on the last stretch of a marathon with this reading.  It's challenging to keep my concentration up, but I'm not going to fade out now with the end in sight! 
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Entering the last stretch in the marathon

GO! GO! GO! We can do it!

rbehr wrote:
I feel like I'm on the last stretch of a marathon with this reading.  It's challenging to keep my concentration up, but I'm not going to fade out now with the end in sight! 

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Entering the last stretch in the marathon

Yes Yes!  We must screw our courage to the sticking place!
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Home in the Coswolds, anyone?

How about this one?
Correspondent
rbehr
0 Kudos

Re: Home in the Coswolds, anyone?

This home seems a lot cooler than an Italian VillaI'd go for cool and comfortable

Rae

Laurel wrote:
How about this one?

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Home in the Cotswolds, anyone?

You will think I am a very strange Brit when I say that I do not like the picture postcard Cotswolds and their thatched cottages:smileysad:.   All those rats, mice and creepy-crawlies in the roof!  All that conformity! Give me the rough, higgledy piggedly stone houses of the North any day:smileyvery-happy:.