Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
bdNM
0 Kudos

Questions and observations on "Song of Hiawatha" V ("Hiawatha's Fasting")

As Hiawatha travels about and notices the crops, the fruits and the animal life that human life depends on, he cries out (3x) 'Master of Life!...Must our lives depend on these things?"  This is a pretty common theme in literature -- the evanescence of life.  "Vanity, vanity, all is vanity" would be an example, but there are lots.

I like how the spirit of corn calls out 'Let not Kahgahgee, the raven,/come to haunt me and molest me...'  Seems very appropriate. 

Dignity, always dignity.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Questions and observations on "Song of Hiawatha" V ("Hiawatha's Fasting")

[ Edited ]

The following passage from Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha, which I was reading for other reasons this weekend, reminds me of Hiawatha as he learns from the creatures of the forest and the plains:

"Instructed by the oldest if the Samanas, Siddhartha practised self-denial, practised meditation, according to a new Samana rules. A heron flew over the bamboo forest--and Siddhartha accepted the heron into his soul, flew over forest and mountains, was a heron, ate fish, felt the pangs of a heron's hunger, spoke the heron's croak, died a heron's death. A dead jackal was lying on the sandy bank, and Siddhartha's soul slipped inside the body, was the dead jackal, lay on the banks, got bloated, stank, decayed, was dismembered by hyenas, was skinned by vultures, turned into a skeleton, turned to dust, was blown across the fields. And Siddhartha's soul returned, had died, had decayed, was scattered as dust, had tasted the gloomy intoxication of the cycle, awaited in new thirst like a hunter in the gap, where he could escape from the cycle, where the end of the causes, where an eternity without suffering began. He killed his senses, he killed his memory, he slipped out of his self into thousands of other forms, was an animal, was carrion, was stone, was wood, was water, and awoke every time to find his old self again, sun shone or moon, was his self again, turned round in the cycle, felt thirst, overcame the thirst, felt new thirst."

Siddhartha, Chapter 2

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Reader-Moderator
bdNM
0 Kudos

Re: Questions and observations on "Song of Hiawatha" V ("Hiawatha's Fasting")

The Hesse piece does seem very appropriate.

Dignity, always dignity.