Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

THE ODYSSEY Book 22--The Suitors Killed

Summary:
---------------------
Antinous, ringleader of the suitors, is just lifting a drinking cup when Odysseus puts an arrow through his throat.

The goatherd sneaks out and comes back with shields and spears for the suitors, but now Athena appears. She sends the suitors' spearthrusts wide, as Odysseus, Telemachus and the two faithful herdsmen strike with volley after volley of lances.

They finish off the work with swords. Those of the housemaids who had consorted with the suitors are hung by the neck in the courtyard, while the treacherous goatherd is chopped to bits.
--------------------

Pretty gory stuff!

Johnston's translation.

Notice his first note and this map of the palace.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: THE ODYSSEY Book 22--The Suitors Killed

Shades of the Iliad, with its graphic descriptions of death.
0 Kudos

Exactly. But for a much shorter time.

Everyman wrote:
Shades of the Iliad, with its graphic descriptions of death.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

It was a bit much . . .  kinda' funny, really - like some hyped up fight in a fantasy novel.

But it sets me to thinking about 'gods' again . . . now that I've listened to the whole story, I understand how the early Greeks didn't worship gods in the same way we do.

Their 'gods' were more like supernatural people - they weren't always kind gods. We don't think of going to God to ask for His help on how to kill people.

Were we to ask God for help in getting unwanted guests out of the house, it would be for personal strength of mind and character - we'd ask for insight on how to 'move' them in some way. We'd ask for the courage to tell the people to get out - don't come back.

Carly

http://wildcity.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=Books
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

It's really a huge difference, isn't it? I guess the Greek gods were convenient at times.

WildCityWoman wrote:
It was a bit much . . . kinda' funny, really - like some hyped up fight in a fantasy novel.
But it sets me to thinking about 'gods' again . . . now that I've listened to the whole story, I understand how the early Greeks didn't worship gods in the same way we do.
Their 'gods' were more like supernatural people - they weren't always kind gods. We don't think of going to God to ask for His help on how to kill people.
Were we to ask God for help in getting unwanted guests out of the house, it would be for personal strength of mind and character - we'd ask for insight on how to 'move' them in some way. We'd ask for the courage to tell the people to get out - don't come back.

Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

WildCityWoman wrote:
It was a bit much . . .  kinda' funny, really - like some hyped up fight in a fantasy novel.

When I was reading the Odyssey and the Iliad, a few months ago, I got curious about the gods too. I read a bit of "The Greeks and Their Gods", a book I'd had since college. The author compared the Greek gods to aristocracy. They could fight amongst themselves but god help anyone from the lower (mortal) class who dares defy them.
Reader-Moderator
bdNM
0 Kudos

Except in a domestic setting, the horror of the actions comes across more, perhaps.  We expect it in the Iliad, but in the homey setting of the Odyssey, it really stands out.  Also the hanging of the slave women seems a bit over the top.
Dignity, always dignity.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

You're right!

bdNM wrote:
Except in a domestic setting, the horror of the actions comes across more, perhaps. We expect it in the Iliad, but in the homey setting of the Odyssey, it really stands out. Also the hanging of the slave women seems a bit over the top.

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

bdNM wrote:
Except in a domestic setting, the horror of the actions comes across more, perhaps.  We expect it in the Iliad, but in the homey setting of the Odyssey, it really stands out.  Also the hanging of the slave women seems a bit over the top.

First he makes the slave maids haul out the bodies of their dead lovers, then he makes them clean up their blood and gore, and finally he hangs them... eek!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

You don't think they deserved it?

KristyR wrote:

bdNM wrote:

First he makes the slave maids haul out the bodies of their dead lovers, then he makes them clean up their blood and gore, and finally he hangs them... eek!

0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
You don't think they deserved it?

KristyR wrote:

bdNM wrote:

I suspect, in that day and age, they got what was coming to them. I wonder, back when Homer was reciting The Odyssey, would his audience cheer at this point? Or would it turn their stomachs just a little?
Another thing I just thought of, I wonder if these slave maids were even alive when Odysseus went off to war? If they'd ever even seen their Master? Even if they hadn't, they should have still been loyal to Penelope and Telemachus.