Contributor
JessikaDarcy
0 Kudos

Re: WAR AND PEACE by Leo Tolstoy--Aug.-Oct. 2008

Hi Everyone! :smileyhappy: I'm looking forward to participating my first book club. Its funny because I was at the library and I actually was oogling War and Peace, having always wanted to read it... so basically starting it in August is perfect timing!

Since this is my first one of all time, I had a quick question. Should I start reading mine now, so I'll be done with that section by august 4th? or do I start reading August 4th?

I know it probably seems like a stupid question, but again its my first book club.

Thanks,

Jessika 

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Hi, Jessika. Welcome to the club! You may as well start reading now, but don't worry if you don't make it all the way through the first section.

JessikaDarcy wrote:

Hi Everyone! :smileyhappy: I'm looking forward to participating my first book club. Its funny because I was at the library and I actually was oogling War and Peace, having always wanted to read it... so basically starting it in August is perfect timing!

Since this is my first one of all time, I had a quick question. Should I start reading mine now, so I'll be done with that section by august 4th? or do I start reading August 4th?

I know it probably seems like a stupid question, but again its my first book club.

Thanks,

Jessika 

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I always try to have a section read by the first day of the discussion on that section, so I can start posting right away.  I don't always make it, but that's the goal!

But everybody is free to read at whatever pace suits them.  The sections stay open all during the reading, so even if you don't get a section read "on time," you can post on it whenever you do.

Welcome and look forward to having you with us!

JessikaDarcy wrote:

Thanks,

Jessika 

0 Kudos

This will be the first book club for me also, but such a great book to start with.  I look forward to excellent discussion.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

We're glad to have you with us, Hdonado.

hdonaho wrote:

This will be the first book club for me also, but such a great book to start with.  I look forward to excellent discussion.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've got a free online text version here - translator is 'Maude' . . .

http://www.online-literature.com/tolstoy/war_and_peace/

I'm not getting another book out of the library - I just will not tolerate one more book lined up against the wall beside me here . . . not to speak of the dust!

Message Edited by WildCityWoman on 07-31-2008 09:04 AM
Carly

http://wildcity.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=Books
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Welcome back WCW!  Online versions are very useful for quoting text here but you can't read them in bed unless, like Laurel, you have a Kindle:smileyhappy:.   (I shall be getting a Sony E-reader in September - hooray!)

WildCityWoman wrote:

I'm not getting another book out of the library - I just will not tolerate one more book lined up against the wall beside me here . . . not to speak of the dust!

Message Edited by WildCityWoman on 07-31-2008 09:04 AM

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

WCW -- thanks for the link!

Here is another on-line version of War and Peace. I haven't been able to figure out the translator, although the home page of the site suggests some rather interesting collaboration on the material available here. (Books are reached from the heading "Culture" in the right hand column.)

WildCityWoman wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

That is also the translation by Louise and Aylmer Maude. It seems to be the only on-line translation, as far as I can tell. It is a good one, but the chapters are divided a little bit differently than in the other translations. Book 1, part 1 has 28 chapters in Maude, 25 in others. I'll try to point out where the differences are.

That looks like a great site to explore!

Peppermill wrote:

WCW -- thanks for the link!

Here is another on-line version of War and Peace. I haven't been able to figure out the translator, although the home page of the site suggests some rather interesting collaboration on the material available here. (Books are reached from the heading "Culture" in the right hand column.)

WildCityWoman wrote:

Contributor
moeh
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyman.  I usually lurk, but I'm coming out and it's more inviting when you will be participating. I have enjoyed all of your messages and look forward to your opinions when discussing this monumental work.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Welcome, and thanks very much for the kind words.

I do hope you come out and join in the discussion!

moeh wrote:
Hi, Everyman.  I usually lurk, but I'm coming out and it's more inviting when you will be participating. I have enjoyed all of your messages and look forward to your opinions when discussing this monumental work.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Peppermill,

Thank you for this link; I'm sure it will be a great help.  This is an example of why it's hard to describe the experience of the B&N Bookclub to others.  When I mention it or recommend it, I really can't do it justice.  People just have to look at in order to appreciate what goes on here.  (Concerning the link to MindMap of W&P, and thanks to all others making this a richly supplemented journey)

tgem

Message Edited by tgem on 07-31-2008 04:04 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Tgem -- I presume you mean this link: Matthew Hodge's War and Peace Mindmap (From Laurel's post.)

If you do, I really must share your thanks with Laurel, but I still much appreciate your kind words.

I agree that people need to come and try for awhile to understand what is here. I deeply appreciate the richness that just gets layered. And sometimes a single  short comment just adds a neat insight one had missed.

tgem wrote:

Peppermill, Thank you for this link; I'm sure it will be a great help. This is an example of why it's hard to describe the experience of the B&N Bookclub to others. When I mention it or recommend it, I really can't do it justice. People just have to look at in order to appreciate what goes on here. (Concerning the link to MindMap of W&P, and thanks to all others making this a richly supplemented journey)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: WAR AND PEACE by Leo Tolstoy--Aug.-Oct. 2008 : Our very own soirees.

[ Edited ]

I do so agree with you both and I adore the wide ranging discussions around our books that goes on here and in LbW, in particular.  It is like being at the beginning and intervals of a musical soiree, when the participants are milling around conversing about this and that before settling down to the 'good book' of a concert:smileyhappy:.  

Peppermill wrote:

I agree that people need to come and try for awhile to understand what is here. I deeply appreciate the richness that just gets layered. And sometimes a single  short comment just adds a neat insight one had missed.

tgem wrote:

Peppermill, Thank you for this link; I'm sure it will be a great help. This is an example of why it's hard to describe the experience of the B&N Bookclub to others. When I mention it or recommend it, I really can't do it justice. People just have to look at in order to appreciate what goes on here. (Concerning the link to MindMap of W&P, and thanks to all others making this a richly supplemented journey)

Message Edited by Choisya on 08-01-2008 06:39 AM
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to pop in and mention that I am using the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation and find it to be wonderful, but even with a superb translation, the time it takes to read a set of pages is much longer than for most books.  There are many words per page.  Moreover, there are many notes and translations.  I started early, and have now read over 700 pages of the book.  I am reading about 75 pages a week and am spending three hours reading.  I would plan on spending four hours per week just reading the approximately 100 pages for this discussion.

Talk to you all soon!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Hi, Laura. I'm glad to have you with us. I'm listening ahead to the Garnett translation and reading the Pevear/Volokhonsky at a slower pace. It's really interesting to read an earlier chapter in light of later ones. I'm amazed by how much I've missed in earlier readings. I think a person could spend a lifetime with this book. I'm really enjoying all the French in the Pevear/Volokhonsky--good practice for me.

Fozzie wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to pop in and mention that I am using the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation and find it to be wonderful, but even with a superb translation, the time it takes to read a set of pages is much longer than for most books.  There are many words per page.  Moreover, there are many notes and translations.  I started early, and have now read over 700 pages of the book.  I am reading about 75 pages a week and am spending three hours reading.  I would plan on spending four hours per week just reading the approximately 100 pages for this discussion.

Talk to you all soon!

Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

Maude translation is here also . . .

There's the forum thread - it's outdated, but you can still post to it - I was doing a book on there, commenting to an old thread and some of the members joined me on it.

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1330

Sparks Notes

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/warandpeace/

Here's the forum thread there . . .

http://mb.sparknotes.com/mb.epl?b=2446

Also back dated conversations, but it doesn't hurt to have a look and see if you can pick up on something.

As we 'pick around' on the web, we'll probably find scads of stuff on this book.

Carly

Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

And there's no shortage of stuff on You Tube . . .

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=War+and+Peace&search_type=&aq=f

I see there are about 70,000 files on this there.

Carly

Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

Natasha's Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW1_oJ4q-_I

Carly

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks WCW - isn't Youtube wonderful for these things, and snippets from so many different versions too.  I bet Laurel has seen them all - which one is bext Laurel?:smileyhappy:

WildCityWoman wrote:

Natasha's Dance

Message Edited by Choisya on 08-01-2008 12:32 PM