Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
jenniferoconnell
0 Kudos

Check this out...funny story

I spoke today at the Martha's Vineyard Book Festival about EVERYTHING... The talk took place in an outdoor tent with chairs in rows for attendess. In the back row a couple, the woman in a baseball hat and sunglasses, listened to me talk and then listened as people asked questions. Finally, when there were no more hands up, a hand shot up in the last row - it was the woman in the baseball hat. When I looked over at her she put her hand down, and took of the hat and glasses. It was Judy Blume.
Surprise doesn't begin to describe my reaction.

Just a little story of my Sunday,
Jennifer
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Re: Check this out...funny story

This is totally wonderful! And what did she say?
Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

Yes! I want to know what she said, too!

Meg Cabot
Author
jenniferoconnell
0 Kudos

Actually, she said, "I thought you had to be dead before something like this gets written."

She was lovely. We talked afterwards and I met her husband, who was really nice as well. Of course I had our picture taken together to prove it really happened.
Author
Melissa_Senate
0 Kudos

I love this story!

:smileyhappy: Melissa
Melissa Senate
www.melissasenate.com
Author
Judy_Blume
0 Kudos

...actually, it was my husband who whispered in my ear, "Tell her you're supposed to be dead before someone does a tribute like this."

I was so nervous being in the audience, Jennifer -- you've no idea how weird it is to hear someone talking about your work, someone who doesn't know you're there. You know, I didn't really like the idea of the book when I first learned about it. But after reading the essays -- well, they're so warm and generous and funny and poignant --it's hard not to be appreciative. And last week someone sent me an essay she'd written after reading the book -- an essay about Blubber -- that was so good I wish it could have been in the book. I told her to post it here but I don't know if she will.
Author
LaraZeises
0 Kudos

The honor is all ours.

Or at least, it's mine.

Ms. Blume, your books are what helped make me the reader I am today. Few of my original copies survived girlhood, what with spines broken from read after read, and loans that were never returned. Your characters live in my memory like old friends, especially Deenie, Sally J., Margaret and Katharine. I wasn't like a lot of avid readers who prefered books about ponies or wizards or aliens or whatever. I wanted to read realistic stories about characters to whom I related. You spoke that language. Your words helped me figure out who I was, and who I wanted to be. I cannot thank you enough for all that you did, and all that you continue to do.

Being part of this collection ... the words "dream come true" sound so cliched, but that's what it feels like. I'm proud to share ink with these wonderful authors, especially in a tribute to such a brave, iconic pioneer such as yourself.

Forgive my cheeseburgerness, but I just had to chime in.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Re: The honor is all ours.

[ Edited ]
Wow! I'm really flabergasted!

Ms Blume, will you stay? I'd love to start a thread of questions and comments for you! I'm just thrilled you're here!

And I must admit that I'm the kid who hid Deenie, Blubber, and Are You There God because I was sure ANYONE who caught sight of me reading them would see my gawky preteen soul hanging out and know everything about me!

Rachel

Message Edited by rkubie on 08-06-2007 09:33 PM
Frequent Contributor
Trillian
0 Kudos

Wow! It's not every day that one of your major childhood influences (I'll try not to embarrass you with anything more extreme in the way of praise) shows up in an online forum you sometimes hang out in!

I guess it's a tribute to the fact that the book is a great idea and LONG overdue.

Ms. Blume (Judy?!), thanks for coming out to talk! Will you hang around a bit to take some of our questions?

Judy_Blume wrote:
...actually, it was my husband who whispered in my ear, "Tell her you're supposed to be dead before someone does a tribute like this."

I was so nervous being in the audience, Jennifer -- you've no idea how weird it is to hear someone talking about your work, someone who doesn't know you're there. You know, I didn't really like the idea of the book when I first learned about it. But after reading the essays -- well, they're so warm and generous and funny and poignant --it's hard not to be appreciative. And last week someone sent me an essay she'd written after reading the book -- an essay about Blubber -- that was so good I wish it could have been in the book. I told her to post it here but I don't know if she will.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.-- Oscar Wilde
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Speaking for myself, after I recovered from my coronary and pinched myself all over to make sure I wasn't dreaming, I'm not sure what I would have done. Probably jabbered on about how much I love the books, fawn all over her, ... basically embarass myself (which is something I'm very good at).

jenniferoconnell wrote:
I spoke today at the Martha's Vineyard Book Festival about EVERYTHING... The talk took place in an outdoor tent with chairs in rows for attendess. In the back row a couple, the woman in a baseball hat and sunglasses, listened to me talk and then listened as people asked questions. Finally, when there were no more hands up, a hand shot up in the last row - it was the woman in the baseball hat. When I looked over at her she put her hand down, and took of the hat and glasses. It was Judy Blume.
Surprise doesn't begin to describe my reaction.

Just a little story of my Sunday,
Jennifer

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
Diana_Peterfreund
0 Kudos

What a great story! I had no idea you were doing that this week, Jennifer! (Thank you, Meg, for pointing it out on your blog!)

I also want to add my thanks to Judy for being such an amazing influence. As I read the book, I was amazed at how many of the other contributors were convinced that she'd written a character just like them -- no matter what character it was. (For me it was Sally and her life in Florida and her endless fantasies.) You captured something universal about girlhood. I've been recommending this book to everyone I know, and not because I'm in it!

It's very rare that we get to thank one of our heroes "in person."
Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

I love this story so much!

And I'm so jealous of Jennifer and Judy being in Martha's Vineyard right now, as I sweat down here in Key West--and through a kitchen renovation, no less. Please tell us more about the cool ocean breezes...and if either of you have lobster salad sandwiches, I'm going to scream.

Meg
Contributor
LetitiaP
0 Kudos

Ms. Blume:

First, thank you so much for joining in on the B&N Book Clubs -- what a thrill to "see" you here.

While I was reading "Everything I Learned..." it brought back so many wonderful memories of reading your books as a girl. And frankly (I'm getting old, LOL) I'd even forgotten about some of them -- and was thrilled to "reconnect" with them -- classics like "Starring Sally J. Freedman..." and "Iggie's House" -- I can't tell you how many times I read these, over and over -- 'till the paperbacks were in (well-loved) shreds!

After enjoying the excellent essays in this compilation, it really made me want to go back and re-read my favorites, all these years later.

I also truly enjoyed your adult novels "Wifey" and "Summer Sisters" -- do you have any plans to publish more of these coming up? Here's hoping!

Again, many thanks to you (and the wonderful guest contributors) for joining us -- I can't wait to dive into the conversation! Best, LetitiaP

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Letitia,

I tried to buy Wifey at a mall book shop! I was old enough for the YA books then--and while I was holding the paperback in one hand and my dollars and exact change in the other, the saleslady picked the book out of my hand, took it quickly back to the shelf, and pointed me out the door to go find my mother. I was dumbfounded.

Rachel
Author
Judy_Blume
0 Kudos

Meg -- you won't catch me having lobsta salad. I'm allergic to shell fish!! But I wish you were here. I'd get you all the lobster rolls you could possibly eat.
Author
Judy_Blume
0 Kudos

Re: The honor is all ours.

Thanks, Laura -- and all of you who've posted messages.
XX Judy

LaraZeises wrote:
Or at least, it's mine.

Ms. Blume, your books are what helped make me the reader I am today. Few of my original copies survived girlhood, what with spines broken from read after read, and loans that were never returned. Your characters live in my memory like old friends, especially Deenie, Sally J., Margaret and Katharine. I wasn't like a lot of avid readers who prefered books about ponies or wizards or aliens or whatever. I wanted to read realistic stories about characters to whom I related. You spoke that language. Your words helped me figure out who I was, and who I wanted to be. I cannot thank you enough for all that you did, and all that you continue to do.

Being part of this collection ... the words "dream come true" sound so cliched, but that's what it feels like. I'm proud to share ink with these wonderful authors, especially in a tribute to such a brave, iconic pioneer such as yourself.

Forgive my cheeseburgerness, but I just had to chime in.

Author
Judy_Blume
0 Kudos

Rachel -- now ThaT's a funny story! I hope you got to read Wifey.

rkubie wrote:
Letitia,

I tried to buy Wifey at a mall book shop! I was old enough for the YA books then--and while I was holding the paperback in one hand and my dollars and exact change in the other, the saleslady picked the book out of my hand, took it quickly back to the shelf, and pointed me out the door to go find my mother. I was dumbfounded.

Rachel

New User
leelee_22
0 Kudos

I can't believe I stumbled in here and here you are. Amazing, just had a discussion on how your books shaped our lives. My daughter has scoliosis, all I could think of was Deenie. All of her and her little 13 year old friends and the books they read, I wonder where she hides "Wifey", like we all did from our parents. Mine was found and I was pointed to the non fiction section by my father.

Amazing -- Lee Lee
Frequent Contributor
Trillian
0 Kudos

This reminds me of sneaking looks at my best friend's older sister's copy of Forever. We were always paranoid about putting it back on her shelf in the exact same place so we wouldn't get caught!!

rkubie wrote:
Letitia,

Rachel

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.-- Oscar Wilde
Author
Judy_Blume
0 Kudos

Lee Lee,
For the past can't-even-remember-how-many years I've been working/consulting on and off about a movie adaptation of Deenie. there have been 2 screenplays, endless discussions and notes and meetings, but still no movie. Will it ever get made? Have no idea. Should it be made? Sure, if it's good, but there's no way to know that in advance. One thing we finally decided on was to keep it set in the 70's. So few kids wear a Milwaukee Brace today. What about your daughter's treatment? Have you checked out www.iscoliosis.com? I've always seen Deenie as a story about parental expectations as much as a story about a girl with scoliosis. I'm afraid to ask what your daughter thought (if she's read the book). Thanks for the fond memories. Love that your father thought non-fiction was the lesser of 2 evils.
Judy

leelee_22 wrote:
I can't believe I stumbled in here and here you are. Amazing, just had a discussion on how your books shaped our lives. My daughter has scoliosis, all I could think of was Deenie. All of her and her little 13 year old friends and the books they read, I wonder where she hides "Wifey", like we all did from our parents. Mine was found and I was pointed to the non fiction section by my father.

Amazing -- Lee Lee

Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 614 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: