Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
bertaplatas
0 Kudos

If I met Judy...

I'd be fangirl-speechless. I had fun writing for this anthology, which has deep meaning for me. Judy Blume's timeless stories have helped so many girls navigate difficult times and discover that they're not alone in their misery.

My essay is about making friends, and writing it I revisited my oftentimes lonely and confused childhood. It made me realize anew that my best friend forever, my bff, is my sister Laura. Thanks, Jennifer, for inviting me to contribute.

Berta
Author
jenniferoconnell
0 Kudos

Re: If I met Judy...

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

I can't remember how it happened, but somehow I got invited to lunch at Judy's apartment in Manhattan a few years ago. And I *was* fangirl speechless for the first part of the visit. But she's so warm and gracious, you can't really stay that way for long!

Meg
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

My problem isn't speechlessness. I develop a stutter whenever I am around someone I admire. I even have a good friend who is an actor and does a lot of local theater. Whenever I see him in a particularly good performance, I have a hard time getting the praises to come out right. I've always been much better with the written word than the spoken.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Contributor
StephanieHale
0 Kudos

I think I would probably start crying tears of joy. I'm kind of a dork like that.
Revenge of the Homecoming Queen & Twisted Sisters, out now!
Spring Breakup, March 2009.
The Alpha Bet, September 2009.
www.stephaniehale.com
www.booksboysbuzz.com
Contributor
Junes
0 Kudos

I know that if I met Judy my life would be complete!! Ha! When I was married in 1993 I was too 'responsible' to blow off work and get her book signed, so my husband went for me. It was a wonderful gesture, however he constantly throws it in my face that HE met Judy Blume! Then I was on vacation and went to Martha's Vineyard only to find out Judy was doing a book signing...two weeks later! UGH! I keep praying I will get my chance to meet her!!

June
Ordinary Me--March 2008
www.junesproat.com
Author
megnotsodarling
0 Kudos

I met Judy a few years ago at a mutual friend's baby shower. I knew she would be there, so I did my best to prepare a sincere, yet carefully worded speech ahead of time, all about how she inspired me to be a writer when I was in first grade, etc. etc. etc. However, despite my best preparations, I was not ready to find myself alone with my idol in the elevator for the ride up to the apartment. I totally blanked on my sincere, yet carefully worded speech and started blathering on and on about omigodhowmuchIlovedherwritingandhowIreadallherbooksintheBayvilleelementaryschoollibrary
andIwassobummedoutwhenmymotherwouldn'tletmereadTigerEyesordefinitelynotForeverandhowmuch
IadmiredhowshetackledthetrickytopicsthatnooneelsewouldtackleandomigodhowmuchIlovelove
lovedthathshelivedinNewJerseyandomigodIwroteinherJudyBlumediaryforlikethreeyearsevenwhen
itwasn'tbeingmadeanymoreandmymomhadtospecialorderitformybirthdayatnosmallcostandomigod
omigodomigodisithotinhereorisitjustme?

You get the idea.

She was lovely.

I was a total spaz.

Megan McCafferty
www.meganmccafferty.com
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

megnotsodarling wrote:
I met Judy a few years ago at a mutual friend's baby shower. I knew she would be there, so I did my best to prepare a sincere, yet carefully worded speech ahead of time, all about how she inspired me to be a writer when I was in first grade, etc. etc. etc. However, despite my best preparations, I was not ready to find myself alone with my idol in the elevator for the ride up to the apartment. I totally blanked on my sincere, yet carefully worded speech and started blathering on and on about omigodhowmuchIlovedherwritingandhowIreadallherbooksintheBayvilleelementaryschoollibrary
andIwassobummedoutwhenmymotherwouldn'tletmereadTigerEyesordefinitelynotForeverandhowmuch
IadmiredhowshetackledthetrickytopicsthatnooneelsewouldtackleandomigodhowmuchIlovelove
lovedthathshelivedinNewJerseyandomigodIwroteinherJudyBlumediaryforlikethreeyearsevenwhen
itwasn'tbeingmadeanymoreandmymomhadtospecialorderitformybirthdayatnosmallcostandomigod
omigodomigodisithotinhereorisitjustme?

You get the idea.

She was lovely.

I was a total spaz.

Megan McCafferty

If I managed to talk to her at all, that's what I would probably sound like too!:smileytongue:
Author
Judy_Blume
0 Kudos

Re: If I met Judy... OR -- Next time I meet You

Oh, you guys! You're all too funny and wonderful! You know what? In Key West, where I live most of the year, I go to the same gym as Ann Beattie and it took me years (Years!) before I could talk to her, before I could tell her that in a town of writers where we all see each other all the time, she was the one I couldn't talk to because I really loved her books. I just went all gaga around her. She was shy about it and sweet. But I'm still not completely comfortable around her, though I want to be! So, okay, I get what you're saying, but really, if you knew the real me --
XXOO Judy
Author
jenniferoconnell
0 Kudos

I LOVE Ann Beattie. I have a collection of her short stories that I absolutely cherish.
J
New User
KikiTheGreeky
0 Kudos

See I always think I'm going to freak...but I never do, so mentally I would be prepared to freak, but the journalist in me would have my list of questions I would absolutely need to ask.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 727 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: