Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
jenniferoconnell
0 Kudos

Spent the afternoon with Judy...

After meeting at the Martha's Vineyard Book Festival, Judy and her husband invited me and my family to their home this afternoon. So much fun, got to see where she works, learned more about her writing process and ask all the questions I'm sure everyone here would love to know the answers to if they were lucky enough to spend several hours with Judy Blume. She was even kind enough to sign a copy of her new book, the first in The Pain and The Great One series, for my kids. She was also friends with another of my most favorite authors growing up, Norma Klein, and answered some questions I wish I'd been able to ask Norma Klein as well.

On the drive home my husband said to me, "That was so cool." And my kids said, "That was so much fun." I have to agree.

Jennifer
Author
AlisonPace
0 Kudos

Re: Spent the afternoon with Judy...

That's terrific!

Okay, how about this: can you tell us, let's say, two questions you asked Judy Blume, and what her answers were? And maybe one about Norma Klein?
That way, all of us not in Martha's Vineyard can live vicariously...

I'll be checking back soon,
-AP
Author
jenniferoconnell
0 Kudos

OK, Alison, I really can't remember two specific questions I asked Judy. But here's a couple:

Q: If Fudge is modeled after your son, is Sheila (as in The Great) modeled after your daughter?
And Judy's A (or something like it): No, Sheila is much more like Judy as a girl than her daughter.

Q: How on earth did you write a book on a typewriter?
Judy's A (or something like it): She'd type and write notes longhand on the pages, which she'd turn in for the first draft to her editor. She said it almost makes it worse now that she can go back and copy and paste and move stuff on the computer, it's much easier to continue tinkering with the words.

Q: So you didn't have an agent?
Judy's A: Nope, she sold her first book (The One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo) and her second without an agent. And she'd read somewhere what she thought her advance should be so that created her benchmark for what she expected her advance to be.

Judy, if I got any of this wrong, please correct me.

And here's something Judy told me about Norma Klein, whose books I devoured when I was young. They were both friends writing similar types of books at the same time. Norma was so disciplined and prolific, every day she'd write her ten pages. After thirty days she was done. Judy said that Norma would finish her pages first thing in the day and had so much time left over she actually toyed with the idea of getting a job as an editor the rest of the day.
Author
AlisonPace
0 Kudos

Ah, terrific! Thanks for your re-enactment. Ten pages a day every day...oh, to be so disciplined! On that note, I should get back to work.
Signing off,
Alison
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Wonderful, Jennifer, thanks!

To write ten pages a day I'd need to be using one of those notepads that children use to learn letters--capitals cover three lines and lower case cover two.
New User
KikiTheGreeky
0 Kudos

I was pondering that the other day....writing books on typerwriters instead of computers. How would one deal without the magic button knowns as "spell check."
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 512 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: