Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
jenniferoconnell
0 Kudos

Welcome!

Hi there, I'm Jennifer O'Connell, a contributor to, and editor of, EVERYTHING...
I hope you'll post your comments, questions and thoughts, as several of the contributors will be dropping by to chat.

Looking forward to it,
J
Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome!

Jennifer, I have a question I never thought to ask you while we were working on this collection. What made you think of doing this book? Also, how did you select the authors who were involved? And how long, once you got the essays, did it take you to put this book together?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but there are a lot of posts here, and though I did look, I didn't see this one!

Meg Cabot
www.megcabot.com
Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

Actually, I think I am going to make this post it's own question. Because it probably doesn't belong under the Welcome post. SORRY!

Meg
Author
jenniferoconnell
0 Kudos

Hi Meg:
I'd just finished my third adult novel and was about to start my first teen book (which I write as Jenny O'Connell). I was sitting at my desk figuring out how to write like a "girl," when it occurred to me that all of my "adult" characters in my books are what I'd imagained Judy Blume's characters would be like when they grew up. So I thought, "Everything I needed to know about being a girl I learned from Judy Blume." And it just sounded so right I immediately emailed my agent and asked what she thought of the line. She loved it (being a Judy fan herself).

So I had to figure out what the heck it was - a novel, a collection, fiction, non-fiction, and I decided it should be a collection of essays from other women authors who I thought might feel the same way I did. I also wanted authors who would be able to write honestly, with humor, and have no fear. I also wanted to work with writers I liked and who would make the project fun.

Reading all of the essays was so much fun. I was so afraid they'd end up being too similar - after all, we were writing about the same books. But they were all so different because each of the writer's experience was so different.

So that's the story!
J
Author
AlisonPace
0 Kudos

Hi Jennifer, and Meg, and everyone else...
I'm so excited to see that Judy Blume herself has stopped by, and that there have been so many terrific questions for her. Thank you, Judy Blume! And, good question, Meg, as I never knew how the anthology got started...
Really honored to be a part of it...
More soon,
Alison
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

It is a great question! When I saw the title I laughed out loud--something about it seems so perfectly obvious, like, why hasn't this book been written before?! (Especially in an age where we seem to study so many aspects of our lives). Who didn't love Judy Blume? What girl didn't thumb through them over again (as if they were reference books)? And yet somehow, I cant think of an adult conversation before this group about reading her books and what it meant to me! It makes a lot of sense that women writing young adult fiction, or teaching this age group, would think to put it together. And every time I mention the book, I see the same response in any woman within about a decade either side of my own age!

It's a wonderful idea, and I'm so glad you recognized it immediately and got to work on it. You've all done your peers a great service!

Rachel
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 312 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: