Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

Tarri wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Tarri wrote:
I decided the best thing to do (for me) is not start the book until January 1.

Tongue-in-cheek, I presume? Or sarcasm?

:smileyvery-happy: I guess we can blame it on me not knowing what day it is or doing two things at once. I'm lucky if I can remember it's Wednesday night and I need to get the garbage to the street. HAHAHA . No sarcasm or tongue-in-cheek, just a mistake
I'll be starting June 1 or Sunday whichever comes first :smileywink:.

LOL!!!! I don't know, I think January may be an idea lol. SURELY, no one could write any spoilers by then hehehe. I love that. Kind of a freudian slip of the frustrations of reading now vs spoilers. Too funny! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

I just had a thought as I scrolled through the moderators questions and just wanted to see what you thought.

I've read the book, took notes, highlighted passages etc, etc, etc.  Now that the questions are up, I am asked about things that I did not pay close enough attention to as I read.  So here I am trying to go backward and look for things that pertain to the questions.  For me, it is frustrating.

My question is, could we possibly have the questions posted at the time the books are sent? Couldn't they be read only so that eager beavers would not be able to post until the designated time?  For busy people, like myself,  barely have time to read a book once let alone peruse it a second time.

I would like to be able to sit down, refer to my notes, which would be taken with the knowledge of knowing exactly what to address, present my answers and then read the other posts.

I understand that everyone works differently but perhaps you may consider this if other participants agree.

Thanks
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Hi Lynda Sue-

We are not limited to only discussing the questions that the moderators post under each thread. The only limitation is sticking to the topic specified by the thread title such as Early Chapters, Hope, The Search etc. The questions are simply fodder to 'prime the pump' so to speak, and get the conversation flowing. You can post any comments/observations etc.related to the main topics. I enjoy reading about things that other readers thought, but never occurred to me. I look forward to reading your insights.

I hope this helps!

Beth
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Aunt Beth.  You are absolutely right and I have done enough of these bookclubs to know better.  The sheer frustration I was feeling at the moment must have overtook me.

Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:
Hi Lynda Sue-

We are not limited to only discussing the questions that the moderators post under each thread. The only limitation is sticking to the topic specified by the thread title such as Early Chapters, Hope, The Search etc. The questions are simply fodder to 'prime the pump' so to speak, and get the conversation flowing. You can post any comments/observations etc.related to the main topics. I enjoy reading about things that other readers thought, but never occurred to me. I look forward to reading your insights.

I hope this helps!

Beth

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

I'm not real sure where to post this, so I figured this was the best place.  This is my second first look book, I also participated with The Sister.  I chose to change my approach and read the whole book before the discussion started.  I am so dissappointed that I did that.  I cannot get into the discussion at all now.  I really hope that they do not send out the next first look book as early.
Go Cubs Go!
New User
143mybzs
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new at this so please be patient with me!  Where do you find the questions posted by the moderator?  I have looked though out the postings, and maybe I'm just missing it?

Thanks for your help
143mybzs
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

BookSavage wrote:
I'm not real sure where to post this, so I figured this was the best place. This is my second first look book, I also participated with The Sister. I chose to change my approach and read the whole book before the discussion started. I am so dissappointed that I did that. I cannot get into the discussion at all now. I really hope that they do not send out the next first look book as early.

BookSavage, quite the contrary, you can do all of the threads if you read all the book. All you have to be careful on are the threads that say early chapters, mid chapters, stuff like that. The character ones, place, search, hope, all that stuff is for those who have finished it all. Karen reminded me of this on the thread about hope. Rather than paraphrasing her, let me post what she said here:

Hi Vivian -- Sorry if that took you by surprise. As you might have read on the Spoiler thread (or in the post with the schedule), the only threads that do not encompass the whole book are the ones dedicated to groups of chapters: Early Chapters (up now), Middle Chapters (to be posted next week), and Final Chapters (posted on 6/16).

All other threads are spoiler alert-free zones. This was an effort to please those of you who expressed last time that you would have preferred to read the book quickly and then discuss it as a whole. The chapter-based threads are for those who like to read in increments and want to avoid spoilers.

Hope this clarifies things!

Karen

So Savage, go for it, theres lots of places for discussion when you have finished the book. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Maria (Maria_H) and Karen (KxBurns) have posted threads about Ed, Fran, JP, Nina, The River, Narrative Structure, etc.  Their initial post is the start of a thread about that topic - it could be a general "post-your-thoughts" thread or ask a specific question.  Just browse through the threads and reply when you have a thought :smileyhappy:

143mybzs wrote:
Hi,

I am new at this so please be patient with me!  Where do you find the questions posted by the moderator?  I have looked though out the postings, and maybe I'm just missing it?

Thanks for your help
143mybzs

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Hi BookSavage,

For Songs for the Missing, we carefully staged the mailing so that most everyone would receive their book within a few days of one another. We also considered how much time to give our readers before the discussion began. We decided that two and a half weeks was sufficient for those who wanted to read in advance; and for those who wanted to read along, to hold off until the first week of the month.

That said, I think our distribution center did a terrific job of getting the books in everyone's hands within days of each other and with enough time for them to read it. I suspect we won't stray too far from that going forward.

So, if you manage to make it into the next First Look Book Club, you are free to set the book aside until the discussion begins!

Maria

BookSavage wrote:
I'm not real sure where to post this, so I figured this was the best place. This is my second first look book, I also participated with The Sister. I chose to change my approach and read the whole book before the discussion started. I am so dissappointed that I did that. I cannot get into the discussion at all now. I really hope that they do not send out the next first look book as early.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:
Hi BookSavage,

For Songs for the Missing, we carefully staged the mailing so that most everyone would receive their book within a few days of one another. We also considered how much time to give our readers before the discussion began. We decided that two and a half weeks was sufficient for those who wanted to read in advance; and for those who wanted to read along, to hold off until the first week of the month.

That said, I think our distribution center did a terrific job of getting the books in everyone's hands within days of each other and with enough time for them to read it. I suspect we won't stray too far from that going forward.

So, if you manage to make it into the next First Look Book Club, you are free to set the book aside until the discussion begins!

Maria

BookSavage wrote:

Maria, I Loved when I got my book! It does give you a choice to read it all or wait and at least I got it in time this way. The old way, I was still waiting till the club started and was behind on everything. I DO hope you keep the books coming in the time frame you did this one, then its just our choice when to read. Thanks to all of you on that one. :smileywink:
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

143mybzs wrote:
Hi,
I am new at this so please be patient with me! Where do you find the questions posted by the moderator? I have looked though out the postings, and maybe I'm just missing it?
Thanks for your help
143mybzs

The original moderators question will be the very first post on the threads, so if you see like 6 pages of post listed for a thread, click on page 6 (or page 1 depending on how u have it set up) and go to the very first post on that page, usually at the bottom.
Vivian
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

i concur. i loved getting the book early because i was able to read it leisurely. i sometimes read more than one book at a time and this made it really easy for me. for the last two books i read the whole book in advance and tried to be very careful with my comments. for this one, i read only the first part for the first session because i wanted to see which way i would prefer it.  because i am just too curious, i read some of the other postings that were not "early chapters"; it was my mistake. i found out something that i shouldn't have so i quickly finished the book before i "spoiled" it for myself even further!
twj

vivico1 wrote:

Maria_H wrote:
Hi BookSavage,

Maria

BookSavage wrote:

Maria, I Loved when I got my book! It does give you a choice to read it all or wait and at least I got it in time this way. The old way, I was still waiting till the club started and was behind on everything. I DO hope you keep the books coming in the time frame you did this one, then its just our choice when to read. Thanks to all of you on that one. :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

BookSavage wrote:

BookSavage, quite the contrary, you can do all of the threads if you read all the book. All you have to be careful on are the threads that say early chapters, mid chapters, stuff like that. The character ones, place, search, hope, all that stuff is for those who have finished it all. Karen reminded me of this on the thread about hope. Rather than paraphrasing her, let me post what she said here:

Hi Vivian -- Sorry if that took you by surprise. As you might have read on the Spoiler thread (or in the post with the schedule), the only threads that do not encompass the whole book are the ones dedicated to groups of chapters: Early Chapters (up now), Middle Chapters (to be posted next week), and Final Chapters (posted on 6/16).

All other threads are spoiler alert-free zones. This was an effort to please those of you who expressed last time that you would have preferred to read the book quickly and then discuss it as a whole. The chapter-based threads are for those who like to read in increments and want to avoid spoilers.

Hope this clarifies things!

Karen

So Savage, go for it, theres lots of places for discussion when you have finished the book. :smileywink:

Vivico,
I apparently sound more ignorant than I am.  I know that I can join any of those discussions, the problem is there is not much draw for me.  I finished this book so long ago that I am bored by the discussions. 
Go Cubs Go!
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Maria_H wrote:
Hi BookSavage,

Maria

BookSavage wrote:

I'm glad that it worked for many people, but I set it aside for quite some time and then decided to start reading and still finished way too early.  I think part of that was because of how much was going to be discussed in each one of the chapter threads.  I felt like if I ever fell behind that I would never catchup, so I went ahead and started reading.  I just know that this format and my approach did not work this time.  I also think part of the problem is that so many people have finished the books that reading through the non-chapter discussions is just so repetitive it puts me to sleep.

Message Edited by BookSavage on 06-10-2008 09:20 AM
Go Cubs Go!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Edited -- duplicates several posts made before I got to my response.

Message Edited by Everyman on 06-10-2008 12:27 PM
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote: For Songs for the Missing, we carefully staged the mailing so that most everyone would receive their book within a few days of one another. ... I think our distribution center did a terrific job of getting the books in everyone's hands within days of each other and with enough time for them to read it.

Indeed you did a great job of this. This was the first FL book club where I wasn't waiting many days after the first recipients were oohing and aahing over getting the book while my jealousy index rose higher every day! And I wasn't even the last person to get the books (though close to it). Thank you SO much for responding to this concern and doing such a great job of getting the books to people at very much the same time. Well done!
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Maria_H wrote:
Hi BookSavage,

Maria

BookSavage wrote:

I was thrilled to get my book when I did. It gave me enough time to finish one I was reading and get into SFTM. I did stop reading after the first group and that is how I will go from now on. The story is fresh in my mind, and I don't know anything to spoil it. I think your group did a great job. Thank you.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

HannibalCat wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Maria_H wrote:
Hi BookSavage,

Maria

BookSavage wrote:

I was thrilled to get my book when I did. It gave me enough time to finish one I was reading and get into SFTM. I did stop reading after the first group and that is how I will go from now on. The story is fresh in my mind, and I don't know anything to spoil it. I think your group did a great job. Thank you.

Thank you! Thank you! I love this wonderful generous concept of a FREE book. Thank you all of Barnes and Noble and the book publishers that give us this wonderful chance to read a book first.
Reader 2
ziggytoo18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
[edited by the moderator]

Note from the moderator: Please stop posting your reviews of the book in this or other threads. There will be a thread for that as the discussion nears completion. Thanks for your cooperation! Karen

Message Edited by KxBurns on 06-13-2008 10:07 AM

Message Edited by KxBurns on 06-13-2008 10:07 AM
Reader 2
ziggytoo18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
[edited by the moderator]

Message Edited by KxBurns on 06-13-2008 10:08 AM
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online