Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

[ Edited ]
[edited by the moderator]


Message Edited by KxBurns on 06-13-2008 10:08 AM
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

[ Edited ]
sorry, sent in error


Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 06-12-2008 08:53 PM
Correspondent
m3girl
Posts: 194
Registered: ‎03-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

Maria,
 
Just wondering (now that I have finished Songs for the Missing) when you will announce the next First Look book and when we can sign up.  I really enjoy this book club!!!
 
Susan
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

We're working on the next selection, we'll be sure to alert everyone in the Book Clubs as soon as we have something for you.


m3girl wrote:
Maria,
Just wondering (now that I have finished Songs for the Missing) when you will announce the next First Look book and when we can sign up. I really enjoy this book club!!!
Susan




Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!


Inspired Contributor
Tasses
Posts: 117
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

I've been poking around, but can't seem to find where to post the review for Songs for the Missing. Thanks :-)
See all my reviews at: Reading Rumpus and Many A Quaint & Curious Volume
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB



Tasses wrote:
I've been poking around, but can't seem to find where to post the review for Songs for the Missing. Thanks :-)




Hi Tasses,

We'll be starting a new thread for reviews later this week, thanks!

Maria


Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!


Frequent Contributor
bookhunter
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎06-09-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

Maria and Karen,
 
I am really enjoying the timing and format of the discussion for this book.  I can see how it might have caused some confusion for previous First Look participants, since it was different, but I hope you will consider this format in the future.
 
I appreciated having several different threads going at once.  From the beginning, I decided I would only read topics that grabbed my interest, so I DID NOT try to read every post, and that made this experience much less overwhelming.  Personally, I did not read much of the chapter overview discussions at all, even though I see they were very popular.  I enjoyed discussing the characters and the themes, and particularly the narrative structure.
 
You mentioned that the timing of the shipping was intentional, and I applaud that, too.  I am one who likes reading the entire book before beginning the discussion and this allowed for me to easily do that.
 
Karen, this format has probably led to more work for you since there are more threads and maybe more posts (that are sometimes repetitive, too) to keep up with, so thanks for all your hard work keeping us straight!
 
Looking forward to the next book...
Ann, bookhunter
Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
Posts: 69
Registered: ‎03-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

[ Edited ]
I read the whole book prior to discussions opening so that I could be prepared for the threads righ away. I did this because on my very first book club experience I felt completely left behind and read like the devil to try and finsh the book so I could keep up with the discussions. By the time I'd finished the book, the discussions were, for all practical purposes, over. People had already "discussed" the book and by mid-month the book club was essentially done (I mean, it stayed up/open, but there was no new discussion/no new posts). So I really like the way this First Look was structured--I think it accommodated everyone the best anything is able to ever meet all people's needs (which is usually only part way). But I think it's given people a chance to participate all month long if they choose to.
 
Also, since I'm still kind of a newbie and trying to figure the book club things out, when and where do we find out about book clubs for July? Or do the book clubs take a break during July and August? The other question I have is how/who to reach/contact to ask about the technical aspect of how threads are displayed on my computer. Thanks, in advance, for replying.


Message Edited by LucyintheOC on 06-18-2008 08:40 AM
Moderator
KxBurns
Posts: 1,006
Registered: ‎09-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB



bookhunter wrote:
Maria and Karen,
 
I am really enjoying the timing and format of the discussion for this book.  I can see how it might have caused some confusion for previous First Look participants, since it was different, but I hope you will consider this format in the future.
 
I appreciated having several different threads going at once.  From the beginning, I decided I would only read topics that grabbed my interest, so I DID NOT try to read every post, and that made this experience much less overwhelming.  Personally, I did not read much of the chapter overview discussions at all, even though I see they were very popular.  I enjoyed discussing the characters and the themes, and particularly the narrative structure.
 
You mentioned that the timing of the shipping was intentional, and I applaud that, too.  I am one who likes reading the entire book before beginning the discussion and this allowed for me to easily do that.
 
Karen, this format has probably led to more work for you since there are more threads and maybe more posts (that are sometimes repetitive, too) to keep up with, so thanks for all your hard work keeping us straight!
 
Looking forward to the next book...
Ann, bookhunter


Yay! I am so glad you liked it. I think the new format was a success and I'll definitely use it in the future.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

Karen & Maria,
I just wanted to say how I really enjoyed this segment of First Look. I liked the flow of conversation and the way the threads were presented.
And Mr. O'Nan was incredibly cordial in all of his dealings with all of the different personalities that are here in this venue.
I have really enjoyed all of the parcels of the First Look program and want to thank Barnes & Noble and you and Maria in particular for letting us everyday folk feel special by being a part of something like this.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

I agree. Well done, Karen and Maria.

bookhunter wrote:
Maria and Karen,
I am really enjoying the timing and format of the discussion for this book. I can see how it might have caused some confusion for previous First Look participants, since it was different, but I hope you will consider this format in the future.
I appreciated having several different threads going at once. From the beginning, I decided I would only read topics that grabbed my interest, so I DID NOT try to read every post, and that made this experience much less overwhelming. Personally, I did not read much of the chapter overview discussions at all, even though I see they were very popular. I enjoyed discussing the characters and the themes, and particularly the narrative structure.
You mentioned that the timing of the shipping was intentional, and I applaud that, too. I am one who likes reading the entire book before beginning the discussion and this allowed for me to easily do that.
Karen, this format has probably led to more work for you since there are more threads and maybe more posts (that are sometimes repetitive, too) to keep up with, so thanks for all your hard work keeping us straight!
Looking forward to the next book...
Ann, bookhunter



_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Frequent Contributor
Luanne
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎12-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

This is my 1st FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB and I too want to thank Karen, Maria, Mr. O'Nan and Barnes & Noble.  What a great idea and gift to us.  I am getting the hang of the threads (although I may have put too much of a "review" spin on my comments to the Final Chapter thread - my apologies).  This is a genre of book I usually do not read but will look for more often.  I enjoyed the discussions and comments in the Club and learned so much reading all the different interpretations, thoughts, and insights.
 
I think this structure is great -- both chapter threads for reading along with the group and topic threads if you have finished.  

I hope I can participate in more of these in the future.
 
 
"... for myself I am an optimist -- it does not seem to be much use being anything else." Winston Churchill
New User
missmmeoftheday
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

I thoroughly enjoyed the book... it was a great read, and kept me interested thruout... this is my first trip into the B&N book clubs.... I'm not quite sure where I'm looking at the message boards; I hope to get a better hang of it for next month!

Thanks so much for this- it's a great idea. I emailed my friends to tell them too... book clubs are great... and online is easy access for when you can't make that once-a-month meet.
Correspondent
m3girl
Posts: 194
Registered: ‎03-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

I also enjoyed the format this time - lumping the chapters into beginning, middle and final seems to work well and lets some work ahead while others (like me) get behind but can still participate.
 
Thanks,
Susan
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

Maria and Karen!   Yes, this is a great fix!  Thank you so very much for your heart felt concern in fixing our problem.  Its people that care that makes things right for the world.   Linda Huff
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

I agree with you all the way.  I like the reading this time the way it was set up.  I could keep up with the reading and the message board this time.  It gave me another way if looking at the story which I really enjoyed. Once again First Look did it again.Insert Smilies  
 
 
gmfuhlman
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

Good job. Thanks for the opportunity to discuss another First Look book, Maria.
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
Posts: 483
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB



Everyman wrote:
I agree. Well done, Karen and Maria.

bookhunter wrote:
Maria and Karen,
I am really enjoying the timing and format of the discussion for this book. I can see how it might have caused some confusion for previous First Look participants, since it was different, but I hope you will consider this format in the future.
I appreciated having several different threads going at once. From the beginning, I decided I would only read topics that grabbed my interest, so I DID NOT try to read every post, and that made this experience much less overwhelming. Personally, I did not read much of the chapter overview discussions at all, even though I see they were very popular. I enjoyed discussing the characters and the themes, and particularly the narrative structure.
You mentioned that the timing of the shipping was intentional, and I applaud that, too. I am one who likes reading the entire book before beginning the discussion and this allowed for me to easily do that.
Karen, this format has probably led to more work for you since there are more threads and maybe more posts (that are sometimes repetitive, too) to keep up with, so thanks for all your hard work keeping us straight!
Looking forward to the next book...
Ann, bookhunter





Me Too!!!!  Thank you Karen and Maria. I like that you made it possible for those who like to discuss as they read and those who like to discuss themes or topics after the entire book is read to all be able to participate in this very successful First Look.
Librarian
Reader 2
ziggytoo18
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

I know how you feel.  I read the book  and by the time everyone was finished, I almost forgot what I wanted to discuss.  I'm also new at this and just as confused as you are.  I do think the club continues throught the summer.Ziggytoo18
New User
MommaSue
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: ABOUT THE FIRST LOOK BOOK CLUB

This was my first look experiance and I really enjoyed it! I hope to be part of future First Looks. I haven't posted much however I have been reading posts and enjoying everyones opinions and Mr. O'Nan's insite into his writing process. Thank you all! Sue
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
1
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 224 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: