Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Additional Links of Interest

As requested, here's a place to post links to book-related information you think may be of interest to others as they read. Things about the area, missing persons searches, etc..

Enjoy!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Cars featured

Thanks, Karen --

Not being having an eye for cars myself, I found myself wondering about several featured in our story. Perhaps others would enjoy a few "refresher pictures." (I wasn't always able to make exact matches -- please do give us better ones if you have spotted them.)

Chevette
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Chevette

2008 Taurus
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/taurus/

2003 Cavalier
http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Chevrolet/review/2003-chevrolet-cavalier/4297/

1999 Cavalier
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cavalier/1999/index.html

Did American cars pre-dominate in this story, as one might expect from that part of the Midwest, at least a few years ago? I haven't looked in detail.

Pepper
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Missing Children Web Sites

[ Edited ]
I haven't done much searching, but I must say that in a couple of tries, I am rather dismayed by the paucity and poor format of the leading search results for "missing children."  Has anyone else been curious and perhaps has had more impressive results?

Here are a couple of sites:

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children -- haunting if one calls up a state without listing a date.

The Child Connection, Inc.  -- my sense is one of how ad hoc these situations are.  The safety and prevention tips are better than some of the emails I've seen, but hardly newsworthy.  I did note with interest the "personal identification" kit -- could be useful in many cases, including the aftermath of natural disasters if someplace that it could still be reached.

Child Protection Education of America -- "A national private foundation working for the recovery of missing children and a provider of safety education for families...."

America's Most Wanted -- "John Walsh's site."

I haven't spent much time exploring any of these sites -- they aren't exactly a cheery process.  I don't envy Connie and Fran the process they went through.  Despite the terror, there must have been the rush that goes with the upside of a learning curve for awhile that helped sustain Fran those first days and hours.

Everyone talks about how important the first 24 hours are, but I haven't come across a list that has seemed particularly convincing yet about what to do.  I would think it would be up-front and bold.

Here are a couple of the sites mentioned on p. 39:

The Hope Network -- its opening pages don't seem very related to missing child searches. I didn't dig.

18-Wheel Angels -- truckers and truck stop publications aid in searches for the missing.  One wants more of the listing to be marked "Found Safe!"

I found the Project Jason site (apparently the sponsors of the 18-Wheel Angels projects) touching, as they honor their son who will be or would have been 27 June 24, 2008. He disappeared seven years ago today (June 13, 2001) -- strange coincidence to come across this site tonight.

BringJoHome -- couldn't reach the server.

Then there is Amber Alert, of course:

Amber Alert -- features a child ID kit.  The Google listing led me to expect to find a good first steps list here, which I haven't found.  The Prevention Tips list is worth considering -- there may be a couple to add to your own.

Amber Alert -- this seems to be the "official" government site.  Note however: "The Department of Justice's Office of Justice Programs has asked the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) to serve in a clearinghouse capacity for the AMBER Alert program and to aid in the dissemination of AMBER Alert information. Information on active AMBER Alerts is available on NCMEC's web site."

Pepper

Message Edited by Peppermill on 06-14-2008 12:04 AM
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Re: Additional Links of Interest

Peppermill-------Thanks for the interesting web sites!

Librarian
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 684 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: