Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Community Room

[ Edited ]
Here's a place for you to conduct off-topic conversations. As always, keep your exchanges respectful and civil.

Enjoy!
Karen

Message Edited by KxBurns on 04-08-2008 11:38 AM
Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hi everyone!  I just signed up for this First Look.  I was in the last one but couldn't participate -- very very busy at work.  I should be able to participate this time around.  This book sounds very interesting.

Luvstoread
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

Yes...this book looks VERY interesting to me! Can't wait for all of us to start discussing...but guess we will have to wait until we get the book..haha...in June!
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

This is exciting to have Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan as a First Look book...

I've just finished Last night at the Lobster, and saw Snow Angels at the movies last week.

Because Stewart O'Nan has several previously published works, they are a baseline against which we can compare Songs for the Missing. Early works reveal so much about an author's style and literary techniques. They will inform us so much about the current reading.....

This is huge!

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

I have to admit that I've never read any Stewart O'Nan before. While I'm waiting to hear if I signed up in time, and then (I hope) for the discussion to start in June, I'd like to read one or two of his previous books to get that baseline IBIS just mentioned. Where should I start reading? Could those of you who are familiar with this author share reviews of his novels or other works?
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

I just posted a list of books that Stewart O'Nan has written, so you can start there...

krb2g wrote:
I have to admit that I've never read any Stewart O'Nan before. While I'm waiting to hear if I signed up in time, and then (I hope) for the discussion to start in June, I'd like to read one or two of his previous books to get that baseline IBIS just mentioned. Where should I start reading? Could those of you who are familiar with this author share reviews of his novels or other works?

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Hi, All--I just read the synopses that Maria posted; makes me wonder why I'm not more familiar with Stewart O'Nan.  I hope Songs for the Missing is as good as these books sound.  I'm looking forward to having another great First Look Club experience!

Joan
Reader 4
Brianna
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just discovered Barnes and Noble's Book Club and First Look program. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to find out whether or not you have received a copy of the current book?

Thanks,
Brianna
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Usually a day to two at the most and welcome, it's a great place.
Contributor
LillyAndLola
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

I signed up yesterday for Songs for the Missing.  Can't stand waiting to hear if I'll get a copy!  I love this program, and it has really expanded my reading range -- I'll be reading Stewart O'Nan for the first time.  I feel as though I've discovered a whole new planet to explore!
Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
0 Kudos

Dear krb2g,

I read "Last Night at the Lobster" for the March book club and enjoyed it. So I can only comment on that book, since it is the only O'Nan book I've read so far... It was a great read. It's not a big book and it's amazing what O'Nan does in 146 pages. Reading the Lobster made me want to read more of this author's works. I can't imagine you wouldn't enjoy the book--but for the fact it's less than 200 pages, it's definitely worth your while to give it a read.
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.  I've signed up to receive a copy, hope I get one.  If so, this will be my 3rd First Look and I've really been enjoying the discussions.
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

Has anyone gotten a PM back yet that they got a copy?? Haven't seen that anyone has yet..but i am sure we will soon :smileyhappy:   I am sure there is a lot of names to go through to get notes sent back out!! As soon as someone gets one though...let everyone know!!
Frequent Contributor
kmensing
0 Kudos

No pm here yet---the suspense is killing me!!!!  I really, really want to be a part of this First Look!

kmensing

AllieK wrote:
Has anyone gotten a PM back yet that they got a copy?? Haven't seen that anyone has yet..but i am sure we will soon :smileyhappy:   I am sure there is a lot of names to go through to get notes sent back out!! As soon as someone gets one though...let everyone know!!

Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

Haven't received my PM yet.  I picked up Snow Angels yesterday.  I didn't start reading it yet though.  This book (Snow Angels) is apparently a movie starring Kate Beckinsale.  It sounds really interesting!!
Norma
Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I haven't received anything yet eithere.  Really hope to get in.  Looks like an interesting book.  Never heard of Last Night at the Lobster before but that sounds good as well.  I think I may read that while I'm waiting.  I love the idea of the story - seems a little different.
Reader 4
jbutterfly007
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone! I have not received a PM yet and I can't wait!!! This is the first time I have tried to to participate in a first look. I have been waiting since February. Good Luck to everyone! :smileywink:
Reader 4
Brianna
0 Kudos

Have many people read Stewart O'Nan before?  I have been wanting to pick up Last Night at the Lobster ever since I heard Maureen Corrigan's review of it on NPR, but haven't yet done so.  If chosen, this would be my first time reading O'Nan. Reading the discussions here has renewed my interest. I am going to pick up Last Night at the Lobster after work.
Frequent Contributor
pigwidgeon
0 Kudos

kmensing wrote:
No pm here yet---the suspense is killing me!!!! I really, really want to be a part of this First Look!
kmensing

AllieK wrote:
Has anyone gotten a PM back yet that they got a copy?? Haven't seen that anyone has yet..but i am sure we will soon :smileyhappy: I am sure there is a lot of names to go through to get notes sent back out!! As soon as someone gets one though...let everyone know!!

I just got my PM! I am home sick from work today (and feeling really lousy I might add), so I'm glad that something good happened to brighten up my day. See you all in the discussion threads. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

I just got my PM too!! Can't wait to get it and read!! Hope everyone else gets theirs!! What a great way to start the weekend!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 968 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: