Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

meme1 wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
Has anyone picked out what they are going to read for May yet?
Hi Vivian,

After I read TallGrass for my local book club's May meeting, I'm going to immerse myself in WORLD WITHOUT END - which might be a challenge since I'm going to AK to visit family!

meme1

"World Without End" was a great read.  I am trying to catch up on the Charlott Pitt series by Anne Perry right now. 
MG

Message Edited by fordmg on 04-21-2008 11:02 AM
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Hi-----I'm thinking of trying something different this time------The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss which is the May selection in Romantic Reads. For my in-person Book Club we are reading All The Stars Came Out That Night by Kevin King----historical fiction about the famous unofficial baseball game at Fenway Park in 1934 between the Negro League all stars and the white all stars.
Librarian

Frequent Contributor
Jeanie0522
0 Kudos

"Hi Everybody

This is my first go around in any book club. I'm excited to be a part of this. I was wondering if anyone has read The Night Country? It sounds intriguing, and very suspenful. Maybe I can get some feedback?

booser"

Hey Booser:  I absolutely 100% recommend The Night Country.  An excellent read!  -Jeanie

Contributor
Amber_R
0 Kudos

I plan on reading The Dark City by George Sands, it's the Literature by Women Book Club's May pick. I also plan on reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. 
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

After watching "My Boy Jack" last night on Masterpiece Classics, I've got an urge to read Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Books.  (FYI, "My Boy Jack" is the story of Rudyard Kipling's relationship and search for his son who went off to war in World War I...excellent movie.) 

I'm currently reading Ghost Girl by Torey Hayden.  It's the true story of a child in peril and the teacher who saved her. 

I, too, have a huge stack of books beside the bed and in the bookcase that need to be read.  I read pretty much any and everything...I usually make my choice by the mood I'm in when I finish the current read. :smileyhappy:

Amber, I just finished Inkheart and liked it very much.  Which reminds me, I need to go get Inkspell...gotta love ordering online.
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Inspired Contributor
Linda10
0 Kudos

Vivico1:

Re:  "Belong to Me," I believe that's the latest "Recommended" book from Barnes & Noble.  I know that the author wrote a book previous to this one called something like "When Love Walked In."  The review of her new book said she uses some characters from her first book in this second book.  My question is -- and, anyone, feel free to answer -- do you have to read the first book in order for the second book to make sense?  From the sound of it thus far, it seems like you're really enjoying it.  If that's the case, maybe I'll just dive in too.

P.S.  Did you get your PM yet that you'll be in this First Look?  I am soooo hoping you will be.  You add so much to the discussion.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Linda10 wrote:
Vivico1:
Re: "Belong to Me," I believe that's the latest "Recommended" book from Barnes & Noble. I know that the author wrote a book previous to this one called something like "When Love Walked In." The review of her new book said she uses some characters from her first book in this second book. My question is -- and, anyone, feel free to answer -- do you have to read the first book in order for the second book to make sense? From the sound of it thus far, it seems like you're really enjoying it. If that's the case, maybe I'll just dive in too.
P.S. Did you get your PM yet that you'll be in this First Look? I am soooo hoping you will be. You add so much to the discussion. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Linda10,, first off, I did get my confirmation for June ARC, so thank you for asking and yes I will be there. As for Belong to me, yes it is under B&N recommends, you go to the drop down box to announcements, then you will see the May 2008 Book Clubs and there is where you will find it under B&N recommends (for anyone new and wondering where to find the May books, or as Karen has kindly provided, just click on that link she (Or Maria)put up, sorry, dont remember which. I do like this book very much so far! As far as having read other books written by an author first to jump in, heck no, you dont have to! I will tell you this, this last year, I have read more books by writers I do not know, have never read any of their other books and loved a lot of them. These really are stand alone books, even the ones with previous characters in them. I have read 3 books that I did not know the character was in a previous book until someone mentioned it, or the author, when I asked where to go from here, in reading others of their books. Its nice to have an author tell you which of their books you might like next once they see how you like or dislike this one and what your tastes are. That happened with James Rollins. I had never read any of his books before and then I heard that several of these characters were in kinda of a series of his books, but the book was so good on its own, you did not have to know that at all, but then I wanted to find other books with a couple of those characters, and Jim suggested to me which to read next. And thankfully, the clubs don't go back and compare to previous books or what the characters where doing in this or that, so no previous ones got ruined for me either.

This book, Belong To Me, is a great stand alone book. If any of these characters were in a previous book, I would have no idea who it would be, nor do I want to know until I finish this one. And to have the author for a month! Those clubs are great! I have two new friends who write from doing those now, three that I write to, but two that we just sometimes email about lots of things because we got to know each other for a full month. Its a very different experience with the authors that way than just a thread for them. By the way, if you are a James Rollins fan anyone, he is going to be doing the novelization of the new Indiana Jones movie coming out this summer. I think he will do a great job of turning the movie into an exciting book. I rarely read fiction before this past year so I really dont know most of these writers from any previous works but it doesnt matter, I am a fan of some now, like Harlan Coben for sure. Belong To Me so far is so much fun after some heavier books lately that I have read on my own, but I see conflict on the horizon. All I can or will say about it,is just what I have, its a great read so far and I am really looking forward to the club. And thank goodness we dont have to have read any of their books before. The only club that is true in, is the author for a week stuff, center stage, where you have the author for a week, to ask them about any of their works. I avoid that one because I dont know their work, and if I read one to get a question or two in for the week they are here, I just know I am going to run into spoilers because people will be discussion all kinds of their books I havent read yet if I wanted to. Check it out Linda10 or anyone who likes those kinds of books or is looking for what I think you call a good summer read book?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Amber_R,

I read Tintenblut (the German-language original of Inkheart) last month and really enjoyed it. I thought there were some really innovative ideas, although there were also some slow moments and some things that didn't work as well. I just picked up Tintenblut (the next in the series) from the library today, but it may be a week or two until I have time to read it.

Amber_R wrote:
I also plan on reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Librarian wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Hi-----I'm thinking of trying something different this time------The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss which is the May selection in Romantic Reads. 

Librarian

Hi Librarian, I may drop in to see if thisThe Flame and the Flower is the one I read when I was about 13 or 14.  The hottest book I'd read at that time.  If it's the one I'm thinking of it was the first time I had heard the name Brianna and my daughter was going to be given that name.  Alas, no daughters.

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 04-21-2008 10:15 PM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
 Belong to Me. This is a good book. I never read any of this authors work before, but this wont be the last if the rest of the book is this good. I hope to see some of you in there in May and, Linda, Ms. Kiakar :smileywink:
Hi Lynda, Linda and Vivian
I too picked up Belong to Me and fell in love with the writing... I'd read her earlier book Love Walked In, and this one is a sequel to it.

The author is a poet and it shows! See you all on the New Reads Club for Belong to Me.
IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Those of you who are interested in birds, art and/or historical topics might like reading "A Summer of Birds: John James Audubon at Oakley House" by Danny Heitman. It is a new release that is not available on B&N yet, but can be found via other online vendors.

Book Description

As the summer of 1821 began, John James Audubon's ambition to create a comprehensive pictorial record of American birds was still largely a dream. Then, out of economic necessity, Audubon came to Oakley Plantation, a sprawling estate in Louisiana's West Feliciana Parish. Teeming with what Audubon described as an "almost supernatural" abundance of birds, the woods of Oakley galvanized his sense of possibility for one of the most audacious undertakings in the annals of art.

In A Summer of Birds, journalist and essayist Danny Heitman sorts through the facts and romance of Audubon's summer at Oakley, a season that clearly shaped the destiny of the world's most famous bird artist. Heitman draws from a rich variety of sources--including Audubon's own extensive journals, more recent Audubon scholarship, and Robert Penn Warren's poetry--to create a stimulating excursion across time, linking the historical man Audubon to the present-day civic and cultural icon. He considers the financial straits that led to Audubon's employment at Oakley as a private tutor to fifteen-year-old Eliza Pirrie, Audubon's family history, his flamboyance as a master of self-invention, his naturalist and artistic techniques, and the possible reasons for his dismissal. Illustrations include photographs of Oakley House--now a state historic site--Audubon's paintings from his Oakley period, and portraits of the Pirrie family members.

A favorable combination of climate and geography made Oakley a birding haven, and Audubon completed or began at least twenty-three bird paintings--among his finest work--while staying there. A Summer of Birds will inform and delight readers in its exploration of this eventful but unsung 1821 interlude, a fascinating chapter in the life of America's foremost bird artist. It is an indispensable pleasure for birders, Audubon enthusiasts, and visitors to Oakley House.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room The Memory Keeper's daughter Movie

kiakar wrote:
The movie cuts some stuff out from the book. Such as the girl the Dr. meets in Pa. when he visits his mom's old house that was staying there. Also I believe the ending was switched around a bit. And also it didn't show alot of the meeting and romance scene with Caroline and the truck driver. But it still was very good and worth a watch.

I agree with you, Kiakar. The movie is worth watching, but the ending is really different from the book. I thought the book did a better job of showing how a Down's Syndrome child reacts to change, but thought the movie ending was good as well.
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
booser
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check it out.:smileyhappy:
Contributor
Amber_R
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Debs - I have InskSpell on Order as well. So far the first in the series is so good I can't wait to read the rest -
Krb2G - I agree with you. There are some actions that the character of Dustfinger have made that don't really make sense in regards to his character, but I'm still early in the novel so, we'll see if those make sense later: )
Thanks for your feedback on this: )

Message Edited by Amber_R on 04-22-2008 12:47 PM
Frequent Contributor
MJColson
0 Kudos

I'm kinda the opposite.
I usually suffer with depression in the winter so I have trouble concentrating sometimes and try to keep the books lighthearted.
So I stock up on the serious stuff for the spring and summer. LOL
In May I'll be finishing David McCullough's John Adams and then on to Umberto Eco's On Ugliness.
Although, Vivico's avid endorsement of Belong to Me may change my schedule. LOL

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

MJColson wrote:
I'm kinda the opposite.
I usually suffer with depression in the winter so I have trouble concentrating sometimes and try to keep the books lighthearted.
So I stock up on the serious stuff for the spring and summer. LOL
In May I'll be finishing David McCullough's John Adams and then on to Umberto Eco's On Ugliness.
Although, Vivico's avid endorsement of Belong to Me may change my schedule. LOL

lol, well I haven't read it all yet and may not have by the time we start, which is fine of course, I rarely have a book completely read before the club. I like the ride along with others :smileywink:. BUT from what I have read so far, yes MJ, COME ON DOWN! hehe :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

books

Hello All!

This is the first time I've been to this community room. I'm looking forward to the new ARC. It's sounds so different and very interesting. I love chatting about books and it's so great to have others to chat with. I'm not doing a particular club this month, just floating around the boards. It worked out for the best because I have had way too much going on anyway. I was interested in The Somnambulist but my library still hasn't received it. Has anyone read that yet? I'm reading a really good book You Can't Hide by Karen Rose that a dear friend sent me (you know who you are! :smileytongue: ) I've never heard of that author but the book is very good. It's a murder mystery/thriller with some sexual tension thrown in to make things interesting.

There are some really good choices for May. This month I couldn't find much, next month it's almost too much. I'm next on my library's list for Belong To Me and I'm glad to hear that you're really enjoying it Viv. I thought it sounded pretty good. I did get Souvenir but haven't been able to start it yet. IBIS, I also was interested in Gravedigger's Daughter and Lee Child's books in the mystery club. Child's books are so good and I found Bad Luck Trouble at a book sale recently for $1.00 but it's still waiting for me in my pile of to-be-read books. My mom has read all of his books too.

Kiakar, Paula and Donna I saw The Memory Keeper's Daughter on Lifetime last weekend. I never, never watch the movie before I've read the book but I couldn't resist this time. It looked really good and I like the actors that were in it. I thought it was good and I still want to read it although it will be strange to be doing the reverse of my usual routine.  Debs, Amber and Krb2G I read Inkheart and thought it was such an interesting idea. The book did seem a bit long, especially in the beginning and I agree that some parts didn't make total sense yet. I guess that's to be expected sometimes in a series. Krb2G, that is so cool that you are reading the German version. I wonder how closely it follows in the translation. I would imagine that most words can be translated exact but there are always some that don't have the same meaning in other languages. I do look forward to Inkspell and any that may follow.

I guess I've rambled enough but it sure is fun! It's great to hear other people's opinions and recommendations. The only problem is that it makes my book list even longer. Oh well, that's not a bad problem to have.

~Debbie
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: books

Hi Debbie. I have read, "The Somnambulist," and thought it was a good read. It is a murder mystery with a twist. You might want to try local libraries to see if they have a copy. That is where I got mine. "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" is definitely worth reading, even if you saw the movie first. I also just read, "Last Night at the Lobster" and am reading, "Name All the Animals" by Alison Smith. My TBR list always grows when I read these posts too! lol

Wrighty wrote:
Hello All!
This is the first time I've been to this community room. I'm looking forward to the new ARC. It's sounds so different and very interesting. I love chatting about books and it's so great to have others to chat with. I'm not doing a particular club this month, just floating around the boards. It worked out for the best because I have had way too much going on anyway. I was interested in The Somnambulist but my library still hasn't received it. Has anyone read that yet? I'm reading a really good book You Can't Hide by Karen Rose that a dear friend sent me (you know who you are! :smileytongue: ) I've never heard of that author but the book is very good. It's a murder mystery/thriller with some sexual tension thrown in to make things interesting.
There are some really good choices for May. This month I couldn't find much, next month it's almost too much. I'm next on my library's list for Belong To Me and I'm glad to hear that you're really enjoying it Viv. I thought it sounded pretty good. I did get Souvenir but haven't been able to start it yet. IBIS, I also was interested in Gravedigger's Daughter and Lee Child's books in the mystery club. Child's books are so good and I found Bad Luck Trouble at a book sale recently for $1.00 but it's still waiting for me in my pile of to-be-read books. My mom has read all of his books too.
Kiakar, Paula and Donna I saw The Memory Keeper's Daughter on Lifetime last weekend. I never, never watch the movie before I've read the book but I couldn't resist this time. It looked really good and I like the actors that were in it. I thought it was good and I still want to read it although it will be strange to be doing the reverse of my usual routine. Debs, Amber and Krb2G I read Inkheart and thought it was such an interesting idea. The book did seem a bit long, especially in the beginning and I agree that some parts didn't make total sense yet. I guess that's to be expected sometimes in a series. Krb2G, that is so cool that you are reading the German version. I wonder how closely it follows in the translation. I would imagine that most words can be translated exact but there are always some that don't have the same meaning in other languages. I do look forward to Inkspell and any that may follow.
I guess I've rambled enough but it sure is fun! It's great to hear other people's opinions and recommendations. The only problem is that it makes my book list even longer. Oh well, that's not a bad problem to have.
~Debbie

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Hi y'all.  I posted this over in "Welcomes and Introductions" but thought I would do it here as well, if I may.   I would like to suggest a little hint here that would be helpful to both readers and posters:  When you are replying to someone's specific post, click on the "reply" on that specific post and when you come to the reply screen just hit that little white balloon in the tool box (next to the smilies).  By doing this, you not only let the original poster know you are replying to something he/she said, but also helps eliminate confusion in the readers because they can see to what you are replying.  Does that make sense?  LOL 

I just wanted to pass that along to some of the newer posters here who may not know about the "quote" feature.  Happy reading! :smileyhappy:
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Contributor
Amber_R
0 Kudos

DebsScott wrote:
Hi y'all.  I posted this over in "Welcomes and Introductions" but thought I would do it here as well, if I may.   I would like to suggest a little hint here that would be helpful to both readers and posters:  When you are replying to someone's specific post, click on the "reply" on that specific post and when you come to the reply screen just hit that little white balloon in the tool box (next to the smilies).  By doing this, you not only let the original poster know you are replying to something he/she said, but also helps eliminate confusion in the readers because they can see to what you are replying.  Does that make sense?  LOL 

I just wanted to pass that along to some of the newer posters here who may not know about the "quote" feature.  Happy reading! :smileyhappy:

Awesome. Thank you for letting me know. I'm new to this and was not sure how people were keeping the quotes in their posts.:smileysurprised:
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 613 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: