Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
Posts: 245
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: books



Amber_R wrote:

 
Awesome. Thank you for letting me know. I'm new to this and was not sure how people were keeping the quotes in their posts.:smileysurprised:


 
Not a prob...I just remember what it was like when I first joined ANY forum or board and didn't know exactly how things work.  It can be rather frustrating sometimes.  I'm one of those "What does this button do?" kind of people and will click away to find out how stuff works...lol...and if I find something I think will be useful to others, I share my info! 
 
Another little hint is that red checkmark on the tool bar is a spell checker.  A handy little thing to have especially if you have a long post or if your typing fingers get a little ahead of your thoughts...

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
judycarr
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎12-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

MeMe,
 
Have you finished Tallgrass?  I am trying to pick the summer selections for the book group that I facilitate and that was one I had considered.  Let me know if it provides your group with a good discussion OK?.  We just finished The God of Animals.  While the group didn't all like it, it provided us with a lively discussion and that is what I am always looking for. 
 
Happy Reading!
 
Judy
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room


judycarr wrote:
MeMe,
Have you finished Tallgrass? I am trying to pick the summer selections for the book group that I facilitate and that was one I had considered. Let me know if it provides your group with a good discussion OK?. We just finished The God of Animals. While the group didn't all like it, it provided us with a lively discussion and that is what I am always looking for.
Happy Reading!
Judy



Our group liked the God of Animals, ok, except the ending, there was none! Its depressing and you dont know what happened to her, how she is doing, is she better, nothing. Just her being there and looking back and we talked with the author about it, the ending, and best I remember she said the editors wanted her to make some changes in it but she wouldnt. Which I can understand but that ending sucked LOL. Kiakar and Wrighty, remember that one?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
KathleenAnne
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-30-2008
0 Kudos

Re: books

Thanks - I was one that needed that explanation

DebsScott wrote:
Hi y'all.  I posted this over in "Welcomes and Introductions" but thought I would do it here as well, if I may.   I would like to suggest a little hint here that would be helpful to both readers and posters:  When you are replying to someone's specific post, click on the "reply" on that specific post and when you come to the reply screen just hit that little white balloon in the tool box (next to the smilies).  By doing this, you not only let the original poster know you are replying to something he/she said, but also helps eliminate confusion in the readers because they can see to what you are replying.  Does that make sense?  LOL 
 
 I just wanted to pass that along to some of the newer posters here who may not know about the "quote" feature.  Happy reading! :smileyhappy:



Frequent Contributor
kmensing
Posts: 110
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I read Souvenir a couple months back---you will LOVE this book!!!
 
kmensing
 

Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:
Hi Vivian-

I plan to read and discuss Souvenir by Therese Fowler. My mother lived with ALS for eight years. The fact that the main character in this book is diagnosed with ALS struck an emotional chord with me.

Beth

Message Edited by Aunt_Beth_64 on 04-18-2008 01:03 PM

Message Edited by Aunt_Beth_64 on 04-18-2008 01:04 PM


Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
Posts: 157
Registered: ‎01-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room



vivico1 wrote:



Our group liked the God of Animals, ok, except the ending, there was none! Its depressing and you dont know what happened to her, how she is doing, is she better, nothing. Just her being there and looking back and we talked with the author about it, the ending, and best I remember she said the editors wanted her to make some changes in it but she wouldnt. Which I can understand but that ending sucked LOL. Kiakar and Wrighty, remember that one?

I read The God of Animals, too, and I didn't like the ending, either.
 
Joan
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
Posts: 529
Registered: ‎11-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I just finished The God of Animals and I've got to say, I thought it was one tedious read.  It was interesting reading about life as a horse breeder, trainer etc but the storyline lagged.  We also never do find out how Polly died.  I chalk it up as another sad book, like The Sister.  The mother's condition got me thinking about the roles a mom plays in a household and how it resembles her, how it lives thru her. 
Now, I've begun The Good Wife by O'Nan. 

vivico1 wrote:

judycarr wrote:
MeMe,
Have you finished Tallgrass? I am trying to pick the summer selections for the book group that I facilitate and that was one I had considered. Let me know if it provides your group with a good discussion OK?. We just finished The God of Animals. While the group didn't all like it, it provided us with a lively discussion and that is what I am always looking for.
Happy Reading!
Judy



Our group liked the God of Animals, ok, except the ending, there was none! Its depressing and you dont know what happened to her, how she is doing, is she better, nothing. Just her being there and looking back and we talked with the author about it, the ending, and best I remember she said the editors wanted her to make some changes in it but she wouldnt. Which I can understand but that ending sucked LOL. Kiakar and Wrighty, remember that one?


Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader


"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Contributor
Linda10
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎10-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room



judycarr wrote:
MeMe,
 
Have you finished Tallgrass?  I am trying to pick the summer selections for the book group that I facilitate and that was one I had considered.  Let me know if it provides your group with a good discussion OK?.  We just finished The God of Animals.  While the group didn't all like it, it provided us with a lively discussion and that is what I am always looking for. 
 
Happy Reading!
 
Judy


Hi, Judy!
 
I know that your question was directed to MeMe.  But it just so happens that I finished reading "Tallgrass" about a month or two ago.  It is a wonderful book!  As someone else posted, I hated to see it end.  I passed it along to my mother, who also loved it.  In fact, she loved it so much that she went to the library and read two more books by Sandra Dallas -- and loved both of those!
 
I have not read "The God of Animals."  But judging by the other posts of people who say they didn't care for the ending, I would say that you can't go wrong with choosing "Tallgrass" for your book club read.  I can think of so many things you can discuss about it.
 
Hope that helps!  :smileywink:
 

 
Contributor
Johanna88
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

What is Tallgrass about? It sounds very interesting because it is receiving so much praise.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room


Carmenere_lady wrote:
I just finished The God of Animals and I've got to say, I thought it was one tedious read. It was interesting reading about life as a horse breeder, trainer etc but the storyline lagged. We also never do find out how Polly died. I chalk it up as another sad book, like The Sister. The mother's condition got me thinking about the roles a mom plays in a household and how it resembles her, how it lives thru her.
Now, I've begun The Good Wife by O'Nan.

vivico1 wrote:

judycarr wrote:
MeMe,
Have you finished Tallgrass? I am trying to pick the summer selections for the book group that I facilitate and that was one I had considered. Let me know if it provides your group with a good discussion OK?. We just finished The God of Animals. While the group didn't all like it, it provided us with a lively discussion and that is what I am always looking for.
Happy Reading!
Judy



Our group liked the God of Animals, ok, except the ending, there was none! Its depressing and you dont know what happened to her, how she is doing, is she better, nothing. Just her being there and looking back and we talked with the author about it, the ending, and best I remember she said the editors wanted her to make some changes in it but she wouldnt. Which I can understand but that ending sucked LOL. Kiakar and Wrighty, remember that one?





Hey, the Sister may have been tedious in parts to get through, but it had a bang of an ending. The God of Animals had a fairly interesting story line but the ending went no where. You just have this woman looking back, talking as dismally about it as before but you dont know where she has been, is she depressed, is she well, what does she do for a living, is she married, was she ever, its just one last dull very depressed chapter and nothing! I see some people talking about The Memory Keeper too and that it was a lifetime movie? I dont get lifetime but I sure hope they did a better job than that book too. There was a wonderful story to be told there and just when something started to get interesting, the author switched to someone else altogether. Her transitions were terrible, and the girl that it was all about, just when you start to hear about her, bam forget her lets move on. I saw a few months after we read that book, that the critics said the same thing, really bad transitions and those we were interested in, their stories were limited. How funny that the two books that are the two that I considered the worst reads of all the books I have read over the past year are those two being talked about now lol. Ok, so before you ask, the two I considered the best reads were The Road and Crashing Through. And I have fallen in love with Harlan Coben books. So far, Belong To Me, seems to be one that will rate high on my list. I really liked that very different book The Jewel Trader too, very much. It was written so well and so poetically. The author gave you such wonderful things to think about in a most unusual setting. I sold the Memory Keeper and The God of Horses back to a bookstore to buy some others instead, they were stinkers LOL. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room Memory keepers daughter

Vivian, I cannot believe you didn't like this book. It was wonderful in my opinion. I liked the movie but they left a few parts out which if you had read the book you felt if the movie was uncomplete. (I know, get over it)
Correspondent
meme1
Posts: 106
Registered: ‎12-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

MeMe,Have you finished Tallgrass?  I am trying to pick the summer selections for the book group that I facilitate and that was one I had considered.  Let me know if it provides your group with a good discussion OK?.  We just finished The God of Animals.  While the group didn't all like it, it provided us with a lively discussion and that is what I am always looking for. Happy Reading!

My book club doesn't meet until May 7th, so I didn't start Tallgrass yet. But, if you want feedback after our discussion of it, I'd be happy to share.
meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Correspondent
meme1
Posts: 106
Registered: ‎12-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Where do I find the list of books to be discussed New Reads Club?

IBIS wrote:


vivico1 wrote:
 Belong to Me. This is a good book. I never read any of this authors work before, but this wont be the last if the rest of the book is this good. I hope to see some of you in there in May and, Linda, Ms. Kiakar :smileywink:
Hi Lynda, Linda and Vivian
I too picked up Belong to Me and fell in love with the writing... I'd read her earlier book Love Walked In, and this one is a sequel to it.
 
The author is a poet and it shows! See you all on the New Reads Club for Belong to Me.
IBIS



meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

new reads



meme1 wrote:
Where do I find the list of books to be discussed New Reads Club?


Hi meme,

All of the new choices for each month are listed under Announcements. There are a couple of different ways to get there. On the Book Club home page it's one of the Important Links listed or underneath Browse Boards it has All Book Clubs and below that is Announcements. There you will find different threads for each month, etc. and the different choices will be listed there. The new choices being discussed will be under the listings for May. If this doesn't make sense or you can't find it give a holler but it's not hard to find. Good luck!

Frequent Contributor
judycarr
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎12-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Linda 10,
 
Thanks for the recommendation. I just wanted to speak to someone who had read it so now I will put it on the list for either July or August.  Thanks so Much!
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
Posts: 1,735
Registered: ‎11-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room



meme1 wrote:
Where do I find the list of books to be discussed New Reads Club?


Hi meme1, if you click on Announcements for May readings, you'll see the new books for May... what's lovely about these clubs is that the authors join the discussions for the entire month.

New Reads with Rachel Kubie: Souvenir with the author, Therese Fowler.
Fowler's debut is the heartbreaking story of a woman who made what she thought was a responsible decision, only to have to live with the consequences. Seventeen years ago, Meg married someone else, much to the dismay of her first love, Carson McKay. In the midst of worrying about her routine marriage, her medical practice, her widowed father, and her rebellious teenage daughter, Carson returns home for wedding of his own. But then Meg discovers she has ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), she has to come to terms with her past and the wondrous designs of fate. Therese Fowler joins the monthlong conversation on May 5th.

B&N Recommends: Belong to Me with the author, Marisa de los Santos.
On April 1st, we introduced Belong to Me as our latest B&N Recommends pick, and in May the author joins the book club! Join this discussion of Cornelia and Teo Brown, who leave the city and move to the suburbs only to find a new set of challenges. Cornelia is tested by Piper, her judgemental neighbor; and builds a warm friendship with Lake, also new to the suburbs. As their individual stories unfold, these three women become entangled in a web of trust, betrayal, love, and loss that challenges them in ways they never imagined, and that teaches them what it means for one human being to belong to another. Marisa de los Santos joins the monthlong conversation on May 5th.

IBIS

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room Memory keepers daughter


kiakar wrote:
Vivian, I cannot believe you didn't like this book. It was wonderful in my opinion. I liked the movie but they left a few parts out which if you had read the book you felt if the movie was uncomplete. (I know, get over it)



Kiakar,I read the book and thought the BOOK was incomplete! LOL, so how incomplete could the movie be hehe. good story, lousy lousy writing. And HEY! I would never say "get over it" to you lol. :smileywink: But really, the story about the DAUGHTER would have been much more interesting if she wrote more about her. She should have just titled it the Memory Keeper, cause the daughter doesnt get much time but being refered to. And I have never read a book more all over the place, back and forth, in mid thought, than that book, brrrrr. Hey, remember the ending of The God of Animals? pitiful. But there were some good parts in the book, remember? :smileywink: and you can't say why here either girl. lol
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
Tarri
Posts: 457
Registered: ‎02-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room



Johanna88 wrote:
What is Tallgrass about? It sounds very interesting because it is receiving so much praise.


I am a huge Sandra Dallas fan, and I loved Tallgrass.  It is about a farming town in Colorado that the government used as a Japanese internment camp during WWII.  The story is seen through the eyes of a young girl whose family hires some of the internees to work on their farm. 
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
Posts: 529
Registered: ‎11-05-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Oh no, let me clarify.  I didn't think The Sister was tedious, I didn't even mind all of the scientific moth information,  when I referred to The God of Animals but I do believe that they were both sad stories, sad lives.
Also, glad you mentioned The Road.  It was horrifying .....................and truly one of the best books I have ever read.  So heart wrenching.

vivico1 wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
I just finished The God of Animals and I've got to say, I thought it was one tedious read. It was interesting reading about life as a horse breeder, trainer etc but the storyline lagged. We also never do find out how Polly died. I chalk it up as another sad book, like The Sister. The mother's condition got me thinking about the roles a mom plays in a household and how it resembles her, how it lives thru her.
Now, I've begun The Good Wife by O'Nan.

vivico1 wrote:

judycarr wrote:
MeMe,
Have you finished Tallgrass? I am trying to pick the summer selections for the book group that I facilitate and that was one I had considered. Let me know if it provides your group with a good discussion OK?. We just finished The God of Animals. While the group didn't all like it, it provided us with a lively discussion and that is what I am always looking for.
Happy Reading!
Judy



Our group liked the God of Animals, ok, except the ending, there was none! Its depressing and you dont know what happened to her, how she is doing, is she better, nothing. Just her being there and looking back and we talked with the author about it, the ending, and best I remember she said the editors wanted her to make some changes in it but she wouldnt. Which I can understand but that ending sucked LOL. Kiakar and Wrighty, remember that one?





Hey, the Sister may have been tedious in parts to get through, but it had a bang of an ending. The God of Animals had a fairly interesting story line but the ending went no where. You just have this woman looking back, talking as dismally about it as before but you dont know where she has been, is she depressed, is she well, what does she do for a living, is she married, was she ever, its just one last dull very depressed chapter and nothing! I see some people talking about The Memory Keeper too and that it was a lifetime movie? I dont get lifetime but I sure hope they did a better job than that book too. There was a wonderful story to be told there and just when something started to get interesting, the author switched to someone else altogether. Her transitions were terrible, and the girl that it was all about, just when you start to hear about her, bam forget her lets move on. I saw a few months after we read that book, that the critics said the same thing, really bad transitions and those we were interested in, their stories were limited. How funny that the two books that are the two that I considered the worst reads of all the books I have read over the past year are those two being talked about now lol. Ok, so before you ask, the two I considered the best reads were The Road and Crashing Through. And I have fallen in love with Harlan Coben books. So far, Belong To Me, seems to be one that will rate high on my list. I really liked that very different book The Jewel Trader too, very much. It was written so well and so poetically. The author gave you such wonderful things to think about in a most unusual setting. I sold the Memory Keeper and The God of Horses back to a bookstore to buy some others instead, they were stinkers LOL. :smileywink:


Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader


"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room


Carmenere_lady wrote:
Oh no, let me clarify. I didn't think The Sister was tedious, I didn't even mind all of the scientific moth information, when I referred to The God of Animals but I do believe that they were both sad stories, sad lives.
Also, glad you mentioned The Road. It was horrifying .....................and truly one of the best books I have ever read. So heart wrenching.




Yeah, The Road was horrifying, but also such a love story. It pulled at your heart all the way through. It deserved the Pulitzer it won. One of the most incredible books I have ever read. I heard there was word of it becoming a movie, but you know, as much as I really love movies, I don't think a movie could do this book justice at all. I think it might just wind up a scary apocalyptic movie with a sad ending but nothing of the feeling of the father and son that you get through unsaid words,feelings, movements, that are on every page of the book. I will see it if it comes out but I don't know how you show the story the book tells.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
1
Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 968 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: