Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jeanie0522
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I'm in the group of "no self control."  If you enjoyed this one, I highly recommend The Night Country and Speed Queen.  Both are excellent.  Maria has a thread with descriptions of O'Nan's other books.  I'm about half way through Songs of the Missing, but I will have to take some notes like some other people have done, because the suspense is too much for me!  -Jeanie
KxBurns
0 Kudos

Hey everyone,

I wanted to post the same caveat here that I just posted over in the Welcomes & Introductions thread, which is that although many of you have read part or all of the book by now, you should NOT be posting your thoughts about the book on these threads, since our discussion is not yet underway. Even if you think you're being vague, your impressions of the book might reveal more than others want to know at this point.

Thanks!
Karen
Reader
RoseDhuDot
0 Kudos

This is my first "First Look" book. I loved knowing I was reading a book not yet released for publication. I also enjoyed the story; this was my first by Stewart O'Nan. Thanks for a great program. RoseDhuDot 
Rose Dhu Dot
New User
ElyseInNY
0 Kudos

This was my first First Look book and it was exciting. O'Nan has a really detailed, descriptive way of writing that makes your mouth water. I didn't really like the plot though, it was kind of abrupt, if that's the right word for it. There were a lot of places where I would be following the story and then they would say something and I'd think, "What are they talking about?!" The suspense was almost frustrating but it kept me turning the pages. And then I felt like it just fell without reaching a climax. It's a nice story of a family trying to get over their missing daughter, but it wasn't exciting enough for me.

Other than that, I'd read more books from O'Nan just because of the way he writes!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Let me just beat my head against a wall!

ElyseInNY wrote:
This was my first First Look book and it was exciting. O'Nan has a really detailed, descriptive way of writing that makes your mouth water. I didn't really like the plot though, it was kind of abrupt, if that's the right word for it. There were a lot of places where I would be following the story and then they would say something and I'd think, "What are they talking about?!" The suspense was almost frustrating but it kept me turning the pages. And then I felt like it just fell without reaching a climax. It's a nice story of a family trying to get over their missing daughter, but it wasn't exciting enough for me.

Other than that, I'd read more books from O'Nan just because of the way he writes!

New User
ElyseInNY
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

What do you mean by that? Was there something I said that made you want to beat your head against a wall? haha
KathyS
0 Kudos

Elyse, I'm sorry for my outburst...:smileyhappy: 

We can't give away 'our feelings' about these stories - any way, shape, or form, until the book discussion is formatted.   This does sway a reader, who may, or may not have started reading this book.  I know how difficult it is for new participants to hold back, but it is what it is. 

After Karen posts the threads for discussion, then you can post/say what you felt, thought, or think, about it, in the appropriate "thread/folder". Please read all of Maria's and Karen's posts, before you reference your thoughts within this book discussion.  These are not just my thoughts, here, but it is the protocol for all book discussions.

I hope my beating my head against the wall doesn't scare you away!  Just my inappropriate frustration showing through - Nothing personal.  Please forgive me?
Kathy S.

ElyseInNY wrote:

KathyS wrote:

What do you mean by that? Was there something I said that made you want to beat your head against a wall? haha

Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome ElyseInNY

It is always nice to meet new folks who bring their fresh ideas and perspectives to the book discussions.

Karen published the following discussion schedule under the News, Schedules and Updates thread. I recognize that you are anxious to begin the conversation--we all are! We realize that you did not intend to post anything that would spoil reading the book for anyone else. Don't beat yourself up over it. It won't take long before you become accustomed to the protocol for participating in a virtual conversation.

We are glad you are here!

Beth

Hi everyone,

I've given a great deal of thought to structuring this discussion in a way that will satisfy both those who like to read and discuss in increments and those who prefer to read the whole book and then discuss. As a result, I'll be posting discussion threads for specific sections of the book in three phases (Early Chapters, Middle Chapters, Final Chapters) as I have seen on other boards; simultaneously, I'll post other character- or theme-specific threads that encompass the whole book.

The schedule will be as follows:

June 2nd
-Early Chapters (Chapter 1 Description of the Person When Last Seen through Chapter 13 Stop, Look, & Listen)
-Fran
-Ed
-Kingsville/Small-Town Life
-The Search
-Hope

June 9th
-Middle Chapters (Chapter 14 The Motorist's Prayer through Chapter 24 Halftime Entertainment)
-Nina
-J.P.
-The River
-Narrative Structure
**Stewart's editor will join us to field your questions starting June 9th

June 16th
-Final Chapters (Chapter 25 Wish List through the end)
-Lindsay
-Kim
-Journeys
-Resolution
-Favorite Passages
**Stewart O'Nan will be here starting June 16th to discuss the book with us!

As you can see, some of these topics sound vague -- I don't want to give too much away for those who prefer to read at a slower pace. To be clear, spoiler warnings/etiquette will only be in effect on the three threads discussing specific chapter groupings (Early, Middle, and Final). On all other boards, the whole book is fair game (unless otherwise noted) so you may want to stear clear of these boards until you've read the book in its entirety.

Happy reading! Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Memorial Day holiday, and I'll see you here on June 2nd

Your moderator,
Karen

Message edited by admin for formatting only.

Message Edited by Kevin on 06-11-2008 02:59 PM
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beth, I love you! 
You are always so much more tactful than I ever could be!
:smileyhappy:
Kathy

Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:
Welcome ElyseInNY

It is always nice to meet new folks who bring their fresh ideas and perspectives to the book discussions.

Karen published the following discussion schedule under the News, Schedules and Updates thread. I recognize that you are anxious to begin the conversation--we all are! We realize that you did not intend to post anything that would spoil reading the book for anyone else. Don't beat yourself up over it. It won't take long before you become accustomed to the protocol for participating in a virtual conversation.

We are glad you are here!

Beth

Message Edited by KathyS on 05-31-2008 01:15 PM

Message edited by admin for formatting only.

Message Edited by Kevin on 06-11-2008 03:00 PM
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Tips for First Timers

[ Edited ]
I thought it might be a good time for those of us who have been around the B&N Book Clubs for a while to share a few tips with the Newbies. I'll get us started with some of the advice posted during a previous First Look, please chime in to add your tips and advice for our new friends.

1: Consider using post-it notes, a notebook, or some other method of keeping notes on what you read. We will receive our advance review copies a couple of weeks before the book discussion actually begins. Many of us find it difficult to resist reading ahead, so the notes help us not only remember the observations and questions that came to mind as we were reading, they also help us guard against posting something that would be a "SPOILER" to someone who hasn't read as far ahead.

2. Prepare yourself to be overwhelmed---the number of threads and postings in "Songs of the Missing" discussion are will explode once the books begin to arrive and the official discussion begins. I suggest that you pace yourself. I find it easier to make sure I have read the assigned sections of the book first--then read postings and comment as I have time.

It is also okay to move on to another discussion thread as you move on to the corresponding sections of the book. You can always go back and read older postings--even after the discussion has concluded.

Maybe, someone else has another method for managing reading the posts and book simultaneously.

Another tip --- #3

Don't feel you have to read every post. Skim, skim, skim, for a topic that interests you. (Originally posted by Fozzie)

4. Another tip: If you read ahead of the schedule, be really, really careful about spoilers. Since nobody has read the book before, it's all terra incognito, and we all want to explore it fresh. Even such an apparently innocuous post as posting a link about something or someplace mentioned later in the book can bring down the wrath of readers who are actually reading per the schedule and do NOT want to know anything about future events or incidents in the book.

Your fellow readers will thank you. (originally posted by E-man)

5. Because of the vicissitudes of UPS, some of you will get your books before others do. Please don't start posting about the book until the opening of the start date, and don't post about the book in the general sections like the welcome thread, community room, etc. Many readers won't have gotten their books yet, but will want to keep up with the general conversation, and to hear comments like "boy, the monster really scared me" when you don't even have the book in hand yet and have had no chance even to start it is, to say the least, annoying.

I know those of us who get the book early are eager to get started reading and discussing, but please be considerate of those whose deliveries are many days later than yours. (originally posted by E-man)

6. When you hit "Quote Post" you should edit the post to include only the portion(s) you are referring to. Otherwise the posts get very lengthy just requoting. (originally posted by SandyS) With a follow-up from E-Man: Thanks for that. Yes, by the fourth person hitting the quote post and not editing, the post can be several pages long. This is why some people like to add their comments to the top of the posts, so you don't have to scroll down page after page to get to the neew material.

WHO HAS TIP NUMBER 7..............

Message Edited by Aunt_Beth_64 on 05-31-2008 04:19 PM
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

Aw shucks Kathy....you make me blush
KathyS
0 Kudos

Not my intention to make you blush, Beth...I'm just honest to a fault, sometimes!  (and SandyS, was me, I think...it was a mistyped name/quote...that whole posting/reply was messed up on that discussion! LOL - I didn't correct the error, I just left it.)
I think you covered it all, though, for all.  Good job!

Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:
Aw shucks Kathy....you make me blush

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

ElyseInNY wrote:

Now Kathy S., please!! That will really hurt!  Now, Now , Now. Everyone has different opinions, calm down.
KathyS
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy: Hi, Linda....I was just having a moment...a teenie-weenie rant...indulge me, please?  Read on, I did apologize...just a little blood dripping off my forehead.  Beth doctored it. :smileyhappy:
How have you been, by the way?  Good?  Staying out of trouble, yourself?
K.

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

ElyseInNY wrote:

Now Kathy S., please!! That will really hurt!  Now, Now , Now. Everyone has different opinions, calm down.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
:smileyvery-happy: Hi, Linda....I was just having a moment...a teenie-weenie rant...indulge me, please? Read on, I did apologize...just a little blood dripping off my forehead. Beth doctored it. :smileyhappy:
How have you been, by the way? Good? Staying out of trouble, yourself?
K.

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

ElyseInNY wrote:

Now Kathy S., please!! That will really hurt! Now, Now , Now. Everyone has different opinions, calm down.

KathyS, prepare for a shock ok? lol, but hey for the first time in a long time, hey I agree with you! Its not just that some are posting their feelings, but those feelings certainly should not involve the way a book ends! That is giving away something about the book. So yeah its frustrating. I don't think there is one person here who hasn't posted a REAL spoiler at least once in their bookclub history lol, but the thing is, and this goes for all of us, new or old members, if you are in a hurry to get going on the discussion and just reading the posts like mad wanting to be in on it, all of us do, then the posts by the moderators and admins are a must and how in the world does anyone miss those, who is trying to find out info on when a club starts or what is going on? Their careful messages to us are to help each and everyone of us have the best experience we can. And you may need to read a full thread before you post to find them, or for that matter, in this size club, to post anything you run across that you have a question or remark on, to not only cut down on spoilers but tons of repeats from all of us. Just make a note of the post you want to reply to, so you can come back to it AFTER you have read all the posts on that thread.

So as already stated too, one biggy rule we all need to keep in mind is...read the moderator's,admin's and editor's posts and write them down if you need, just like so many are doing with the schedule and you can't go wrong.

It takes a lot of patience in the first look clubs, to not go full out all the time, but we have a full month, lots to discuss and great formats set up for when the discussions begin. Just waiting for those threads and posting to them will save everyone a lot of grief and head bangers a bad head ache lol, or those of us who do the V8 head slap alot of dents LOL. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
:smileyvery-happy: Hi, Linda....I was just having a moment...a teenie-weenie rant...indulge me, please?  Read on, I did apologize...just a little blood dripping off my forehead.  Beth doctored it. :smileyhappy:
How have you been, by the way?  Good?  Staying out of trouble, yourself?
K.

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

ElyseInNY wrote:

Oh! Yes Ms.Kathy S.,  gotta do that!   No trouble out of me!   Promise!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:
:smileyvery-happy: Hi, Linda....I was just having a moment...a teenie-weenie rant...indulge me, please? Read on, I did apologize...just a little blood dripping off my forehead. Beth doctored it. :smileyhappy:
How have you been, by the way? Good? Staying out of trouble, yourself?
K.

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

ElyseInNY wrote:

Now Kathy S., please!! That will really hurt! Now, Now , Now. Everyone has different opinions, calm down.

KathyS, prepare for a shock ok? lol, but hey for the first time in a long time, hey I agree with you! Its not just that some are posting their feelings, but those feelings certainly should not involve the way a book ends! That is giving away something about the book. So yeah its frustrating. I don't think there is one person here who hasn't posted a REAL spoiler at least once in their bookclub history lol, but the thing is, and this goes for all of us, new or old members, if you are in a hurry to get going on the discussion and just reading the posts like mad wanting to be in on it, all of us do, then the posts by the moderators and admins are a must and how in the world does anyone miss those, who is trying to find out info on when a club starts or what is going on? Their careful messages to us are to help each and everyone of us have the best experience we can. And you may need to read a full thread before you post to find them, or for that matter, in this size club, to post anything you run across that you have a question or remark on, to not only cut down on spoilers but tons of repeats from all of us. Just make a note of the post you want to reply to, so you can come back to it AFTER you have read all the posts on that thread.

So as already stated too, one biggy rule we all need to keep in mind is...read the moderator's,admin's and editor's posts and write them down if you need, just like so many are doing with the schedule and you can't go wrong.

It takes a lot of patience in the first look clubs, to not go full out all the time, but we have a full month, lots to discuss and great formats set up for when the discussions begin. Just waiting for those threads and posting to them will save everyone a lot of grief and head bangers a bad head ache lol, or those of us who do the V8 head slap alot of dents LOL. :smileywink:

Now Vivian, You be watching those head butting (v8 head slaps) what ever you all call them, they are very dangerous!.  You always have some great stuff to tell us about. Love your posts.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Now Vivian, You be watching those head butting (v8 head slaps) what ever you all call them, they are very dangerous!. You always have some great stuff to tell us about. Love your posts.

lol, Linda, you know the V8 head slap, when they slap their foreheads with their palms, like a light just went on, saying WOW, I should have had a V8! lol. Or basically saying "duh!' I like the new ones now, where the wife gives the hubby a V8 slap for not even having lettuce on his burger or no veggies at all LOL. I haven't had a V8 in a long time as a matter of fact, but sounds good tonight. Wouldn't be bad with a little vodka in it either hehe :smileywink:. If I drank that is hehe.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

Re: Tips for First Timers

Aunt_Beth_64 wrote:
I thought it might be a good time for those of us who have been around the B&N Book Clubs for a while to share a few tips with the Newbies. I'll get us started with some of the advice posted during a previous First Look, please chime in to add your tips and advice for our new friends.

WHO HAS TIP NUMBER 7..............

Message Edited by Aunt_Beth_64 on 05-31-2008 04:19 PM

Great post Aunt_Beth_64.  For number 7- please use a standard font.  Overly large, or bolded letters seem like yelling (even though not in all caps). 
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Now Vivian, You be watching those head butting (v8 head slaps) what ever you all call them, they are very dangerous!. You always have some great stuff to tell us about. Love your posts.

Hey nothing wrong with alittle lift in your veggie juice. That will be a good slap that you can give your own little self. ha. I am going out to have spaggetti at olive garden in an hour. If I dont stop gossiping on the pc I will be late. oh......can't do that!   see ya. friend.
lol, Linda, you know the V8 head slap, when they slap their foreheads with their palms, like a light just went on, saying WOW, I should have had a V8! lol. Or basically saying "duh!' I like the new ones now, where the wife gives the hubby a V8 slap for not even having lettuce on his burger or no veggies at all LOL. I haven't had a V8 in a long time as a matter of fact, but sounds good tonight. Wouldn't be bad with a little vodka in it either hehe :smileywink:. If I drank that is hehe.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 71 members 738 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: